PDA

View Full Version : Premium Unleaded fuel/ ETEC

seastorm
18-11-2009, 08:54 PM
Can you run Premium unleaded with your ETec, I think the dealer told me only to run normal Unleaded

DTHCoCo
18-11-2009, 10:09 PM
makes no difference, but yes you can run premium in the etec. You wont gain any extra power as the etec's are designed to run on standard unleaded. The advantage of premium is though that it will store better.

snasman
18-11-2009, 10:41 PM
I would be checking the manual I don’t have an etec but most marine motors I have read up on state not to use Premium unleaded this type of fuel will cause deteriation of any rubber it comes into contact with a lot quicker than standard unleaded also Premium has a lot more active ingredients and will therefore not store well at all, on average the shelf life of stored Premium is about a month after that it goes down hill very quickly I have seen this first hand in the automotive industry with a lot of high end vehicles some would not even start after sitting for just 6 weeks, drained the tank refueled and away they went .I cant comment on all brands of fuel but I do know that Bp Premium already has 10% ethanol and that is a definite no no for marine motors.

Jarrah Jack
18-11-2009, 11:16 PM
snasman......Is that bp premium in all states you say?
Wouldn't it say on the pump that its 10% so we can avoid it?

Cheers

snasman
19-11-2009, 01:53 AM
Jarrah Jack currently the only info I have on this fuel was for the Brisbane area only( A trial period) and its a few years old now Quess im from the school of once bitten twice shy it has been a long time since Ive stepped foot on a bp servo so I cant tell you that this is still the norm ,Im pretty sure it has to have the 10% ethonol sticker on the pump some where, it used to be very tiny about waste height stuck on the bowser not in plain view I will have to make a trip down to my local Bp and have a look myself.

seastorm
19-11-2009, 05:25 AM
makes no difference, but yes you can run premium in the etec. You wont gain any extra power as the etec's are designed to run on standard unleaded. The advantage of premium is though that it will store better.

That is a shame you wont get extra power, I put Premium in the work van the other day and got a extra 100km out of her, thought it might have been the same for the ETec

kc
19-11-2009, 06:18 AM
Regular unleaded will be phased out over the next few months and the ONLY option will be to run the (more expensive) premium unleaded in marine engines. Ethonal blends will replace all regular unleaded and they are very damaging to marine engines due to seperation issues over only short time frames and rubber/fibreglass corossion issues. F & B did a big spread on it a while ago.

KC

Bear001
19-11-2009, 10:56 AM
I was also told not to run Premium in my ETEC...and havent.

But I did used to run it in my 30hp 2stk Merc (about a 90model) - it certainly improved performance - cant really comment on fuel usage as it was bugger all anyhow.

MickS
19-11-2009, 10:06 PM
I have used norhing but premium in my etec for 3 years, no problems. It stores better, Have been told not to use the cheaper fuel with ethanol. It will cause damage to all outboards.

seastorm
20-11-2009, 05:25 AM
I heard that by the end of 2010 all fuel sold in Brisbane will have a min of 5% ethanol added