PDA

View Full Version : advice on Trailer hard To Launch ahhh

DONTdoIT
18-11-2009, 05:59 PM
ok i really hate how hard it is to get boat in and out of water its time to fix it....

im thiunking rollers the wobbley ones ;)=.

so after suggestions on how many. they any good for freeway runs and what not

Like why should i stick with Skids ahhhhh

here is Pic
http://www.justdammit.com/boat%20under.jpg

this is where im thinking of placeing double mount rollers but dunno if its enufh support
http://www.justdammit.com/boat%20under2.jpg

the skid goes to the 2nd support so do i need 2 or 3 rows ??

should i have the Quad roller at start then go to the double rollers after that ?

Thanks for any info or Tips..

Toddy_again
18-11-2009, 06:10 PM
Whack the middle rollers up a poofteenth of an inch and then see what happens.

Cheers

Toddy

dreemon
18-11-2009, 06:20 PM
the skids are meant to balance the boat only, you need to have all the keel rollers string lined, then adjust the skids so that it's taking only light weight.

keep the skids and your money:)

Chimo
18-11-2009, 06:29 PM
Two quad wobbles on each side instead of the skids and fix the middle so the rollers actually take an equal amount of weight as all the other rollers on the trailer.

Also set up a solid chain setup at the front or the boat will bugger off when you accelerate after the light chages to green!

Cheers
Chimo

DONTdoIT
18-11-2009, 06:30 PM
well skids seam to be taking alot of the load lol maybe thats why its so hard ;)=

this my first heavy boat so didnt have a clue... i will ajust and try it on weekend c how it goes ;)-

will repost the results ty

TimD
18-11-2009, 06:42 PM
Spray the skids with INOX mate

cheers tim :)

Chimo
18-11-2009, 06:53 PM
After the inox goes on and the dust off the road coat the skids at least you will have two sandpapered strips under the boat ready for when you decide to re-glass it?

C
C

White Pointer
18-11-2009, 07:43 PM
G'day,

A rule: Rollers under f'glass boats (and lots of them) and skids under tinnies. Plate boats can manage with either but skids are better.

Have a look at the Dunbier and Mackay trailer set ups on the WWW for a boat of your type and try to duiplicate it.

Regards,

White Pointer

sheridan
18-11-2009, 07:57 PM
I had skids on my trailer under my haines didn't matter how much i adjusted them always had trouble so i put 3 sets of double wobbly on each side plus 3 self centering rollers on the keel and easy guide rollers at the back what a dream to put on & off and dosn't strain my electric winch any more

Geoff

TimD
18-11-2009, 09:24 PM
After the inox goes on and the dust off the road coat the skids at least you will have two sandpapered strips under the boat ready for when you decide to re-glass it?

C
C

If the trailer is washed down regularly i cant see much dust building up on the skids

cheers tim :)

ozscott
20-11-2009, 08:15 AM
Hi Mate - thats not a blue and white Haines V163/16C sitting atop that slide/roller trailer by any chance?

Cheers

Micadogs
20-11-2009, 02:47 PM
HiDontDoIT, I had skids on my last boat trailer and now rollers on my new trailer. The rollers are easier to push the boat off, however with the skids it was still relatively easy both off and on. As the others have suggested lift your keel rollers slightly. The best way to do this is to have the boat on a hard, level surface. Use metal (something) to bridge the gap between the stems and then use a hydraulic car jack (boat can still be on). After the weight has been taken, you should only need a very slight increase upwards. You shoudn't be able to see daylight between the skids. Prior to starting all this, check to see if you can move the keel rollers by hand with the boat on. If you can then the skids are definately taking all the weight, which is incorrect as the keel rollers should be taking the weight. Another thing that might help, you can purhase teflon impregnated skids from BCF for approx $12. These little suckers slide excellent, just like rubber ones with INOX without any dust concerns. regards Adam

EDIT: Just looked at the pictures closely, the boat isn't sitting on the keel rollers, That is definately your issue. Increase height of keel rollers to take teh weight, better still, if clearance isn't an issue, drop the skids (using same method as above). This will lower your centre of gravity and make the trailer safer.

oldboot
20-11-2009, 04:48 PM
It is amazing how much difference some grease in the rollers makes.

Forget the string lines, you need to adjust the rollers and skids with the weight of the boat on them.....strings and rulers will be helpful to start and to keep things even.

But boats aint straight and the trailers flex under load.

So.......toss the boat off on the lawn......do whatever you decide to the trailer....then get everthing close ish.......winch the boat back on the find a flat place and if you have then a few scissor jacks ( cheap from the wreckers)

Ya put the jacks under the roller pegs and just dial it in.

start with the keel rollers if you use them and get the load even, all the rollers taking their share then get the boat supported across the stern and work your way forward.

My last trailer had the skidds set lower than the rollers and it didn't help a bit.....the rollers werent rolling......1/2 tonne boat and I still had to push it off.

I set up the new trailer with the skids just snug, It sits realy well on the trailer and it comes off so fast I have to let it out on the winch.

I've done a few trailers now and the secret is......lubrication and a proper set up with even support.........if you do it right you will NEED a bow line.

When I did a job on the bro'inlaws trailer.....he unhooked the winch strap & safety chain and gave it a little nudge.......the poor bugger nearly had to swim for it...no bow line.

The D shaped teflon moulds are the go for your skids too.

cheers

foxx510
20-11-2009, 08:01 PM
Yeah I'm with white pointer, I always thought glass boats were supposed to go on a fully rollered trailer. Looks like that one's set up for a tinnie.

ozscott
21-11-2009, 07:37 AM
No they had slides back when that trailer was built for glass. My 163/16c had centre rollers and hardwood blocks with slide material on exactly like the one in the photo except that the centre rollers, as said above should also take weight....was a piece of cake to launch and retrieve (with retrieve-a-mate) assistance on the rear and a split trailer. She was no drive on, but easy to use. I replaced the rollers and slide material and stuck in new hardwood blocks before I sold it and they worked nicely.

Cheers

DONTdoIT
23-11-2009, 06:41 PM
Hay guys well i went out and spent $370 on new rollers ;)

i dropped boat in water then i snapped few Bolts lol jump up and down then jump up and down ahhhh off to hardware another $55 for stupid Tap and Die set
i fixed the stupid thread and finished the bolts

i ended up going Double Rollers at the back then the second set of rollers where Quad Rollers
i allso replaced the first 2 rollers with self centering and replaced the last 2 with normal.
OMFG The boat feals like a slimy worm it slides off and comes back on the trailer so god dam easy it isnt funny lol from the OLD He HOOOOOOOO to the new left hand with slightest shuv to get it slideing the $425 was well spent ;)-

Thanks for the heads up Guys problem solved no more Skids for me Ever lol

Chimo
23-11-2009, 07:47 PM
Glad your happy with the result.

Cheers
Chimo