PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Problems or short somewhere?

Fishbait
17-11-2009, 06:49 PM
I recently brought a GME GR9200 Marine Stereo system with 140W Speakers. Had it professionally installed and looks ok. All works very well.

On Saturday, used it for the day - all ok. However, when I came back in through the leads here at Bribie, I turned it off so I could log off on the VHF. Then when I pressed the transmit button on the VHF, the stereo came on? What the? Turned of the stereo again, pressed the transmit button again - same thing - stereo came back on? This time, just turned it down and used the VHF to log off after the day. Didn't think much more of it then.

Then whilst washing the boat and cleaning it, I noticed only 1 speaker going? I thought yep - wired lead of for sure, but no, still on. Touched the speaker and it was as hot as?

Took it back to marine installer today - they checked it out and said there wiring was fine. They did say that because the VHF was on 25watt transmit (whoops), this was somehow interfering with the stereo because it has a remote function on the same / similar frequency? (Really?- both VHF and Stereo are from GME so surely they are compatable in the boat!). When they tested it whilst on a 1 watt transmitt, the stereo apparently didn't come on. They said the speaker is obviously blown and I'll have to claim my warranty now from GME.

Phoned the dealer I purchased it from, all good - they will replace.

Question is - do you think this is an isolated problem and speaker is just buggered, or do you think there is still a short somewhere and I should ask more questions. Picking my boat back up tommorrow from them.

Thanks for your advice. Darren.

Aunty Jack
18-11-2009, 12:14 PM
Just a gess but if there both running of the same areal they have a spliter .
If so thats were id start if your speeker gets hot again find the spliter and see if its hot to. That or the fuse may be to big .Any way good luck and keep us updated.

Fishbait
18-11-2009, 07:05 PM
HHHmmm - I'm guessing by the rest of the responses (not...) it's just a speaker problem then. Anyway, I'll chance the new speakers. I was just after some technical advice if I should have asked more questions on their wiring technique and whether or not I should have even took it to another tech for a second opinion. I'll install the new speakers and see how things go. Thanks anyway folks. Darren.

Noelm
19-11-2009, 10:01 AM
I reckon it would be pretty rare to have a stereo turn just by using a micrphone/radio, but I guess anything is possible (but still doubt it), speaker should not get hot for any reason, unsure as to where the problem may lie, but I would at least start looking at anything that is common to both devices, like as in, Antenna, power wires and earthing, anything that may be common.

oldboot
20-11-2009, 10:33 AM
If a speaker is getting hot with no sound comming out,:o i would suspect DC comming from the amplifier in the radio...this is not good.

If you have an old speaker or two I would connect those up and run the stereo for a while and see.....If you have a multimeter, set it to DC on the 20 voltish range with the stereo on but turned down and look for any DC reading..if none start switching down the ranges......eventualy you will read something but anything over half a volt and you have a serious problem in the amplifier output stage.
If all reads well..hook up a cheap set of speakers and run the unit for an hour or so.

now to the radio turning on.

Are you running an aerial splitter.....if so get rid of it.....don't get me started on these things but they are trouble even if it isn't causing this problem.....eventually it will bite you.

I assume that the stereo is a software controlled item with soft pushbottons and has no positive poere switch....like that all do these days...if there is a remote.....well as for running on the same frequencies as marine radio I doubt that.

But.....due to various deviance........I can see that a strong radio transmission may cause this sort of problem..... but hell it shouldn't.......I would expect some sort of power supply or earthing issue, or an out and out fault in the stereo.

I won't get into complications but I can see that an earth loop may occur between the two units........bothe connected to the battery negative and both connected to the areial shield via the splitter.

All the above is pure conjecture, and there is no substitute for proper systematic fault finding.

Oh....Whats the point of having VHF if you cant transmitt at 25 watts.
The only time I would transmitt on low power would be if i was in a marina or in a formation with other boats equiped with and using VHF or right outside the VMR base.....or if I specificaly didn't want to be herad very far.

cheers