PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding Mercury 25 HP XD Outboard 2 Stroke

picollo
17-11-2009, 03:49 PM
Hi,

I am currently rebuilding my Mercury 25 HP XD Outboard 2 Stroke engine. I have bought the proper manual for the boat and have successfully taken the engine apart. I am currently working out the best way to buy parts for the engine (gaskets, seals, bolts ect). With the US dollar so good atm has anyone had success importing parts from the states or is aware of any places in Brisbane that I would be able to source parts from?

Regards

John

foxx510
17-11-2009, 04:19 PM
You could try these guys http://www.boats.net/

FNQCairns
17-11-2009, 05:21 PM
Yeah that mob is reputable and the price is just great in comparison to here.
I have received a few packages full of outboard parts from them in the past, waiting now for the Aussie dollar to firm up a bit more and do it again.

Be advised they may not have everything in stock so will road freight from elsewhere in the US to their location and dispatch, this can blow out the expected arrival time by 4 days but for around 55% of the Australian cost including freight it's always been worth the wait..

cheers fnq

Noelm
18-11-2009, 06:33 AM
just one hint, do NOT cut corners, make sure every thing is spotless clean, use all new bearings and seals/gaskets, take your time and do it right!

picollo
18-11-2009, 08:33 AM
Thanks for everyones advice so far. I am hoping to take some pics to keep a log of whats being done. What product would you recommend to make it spotless?

cormorant
18-11-2009, 08:34 AM
Can't say how important this is

Do you know why the engine failed??

I see people rebuild them and no do the carbies, or waterpump , timing set wrong or fix cooling blockage and kill the new rebuilt powerhead. Make sure you know why it failed. The damage to teh internals will tell you alot be it scored bores, stuffed piston skirts, hole in piston, etc etc

Now it is apart oil it up and don't allow parts to rust up or it is doomedespecially the crank. Don't bother unless you crank is 99% good.

There are complete non genuine rebuil kits 10 thou 20 thou and 30 thou oversize that include all gaskets and seals etc. Some mercury models require "merc only"main bearings as they area special size that no one has bothered to recreate. Buying individual gaskets and parts off Merc will send you broke.

Be very carefull on your importing that you don't exceed the limits and have to pay extra taxes and also be aware that some courier companies charge clearance fees and customs fes but teh US post does not. Just a warning to check the total cost to your door and beware some big airfreight companies - do a search on here about their scummy tactics.

Some companies in the US are also offering fuly rebuilt powerheads.

Look at crawley marine for the parts list and kits

Marine parts .com http://www.marineparts.com/default.htm

TRI-STATE MARINE trades as fasterthanmachone on eprey - has kits for most models

NEW POWERHEAD OVERHAUL KIT FOR MERCURY 2 CYLINDER with 2.875 BORE. Kit includes all you need to rebuild your engine, Johnson & Evinrude 2 Cylinder 40HP 1972 to 1984 and 35hp 1984-1989. All parts are backed by a TWO YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY !! Highest quailty parts in the industry ! Save a Ton of cash ! These kits are priced far below dealer cost ! Here is what you get.......,
2 New Piston kits in your choice of sizes; STD. .010, .015 .020, .030 or .040
2 New connecting rod bearing sets
2 New wrist-pin bearing kits
2 New wrist-pins
2 New piston ring sets
2 New wrist-pin circlip sets
1 New crankshaft seal kit
1 New overhaul gasket set
1 New fuel pump rebuild kit RETAIL COST $465.00..........................................Y OUR COST $ 280.00
YOUR SAVINGS $185.00!!.............................BUY IT NOW ONLY $280.00
Please call for application information. TRI-STATE MARINE 847-526-6211
VISIT OUR EBAY STORE FOR MORE KITS !!! http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/icon/storelogo_36x14.gif (http://stores.ebay.com/tristatemarine)

Have bought parts over the years and had shipping delays and also out of spec stuff so check it out properly.

There are several suppliers of non genuine rebuild kits here in Aus as well

Look on eprey for overhaul kits or rebuild kits or ask your local wrecker who they get theirs through

Noelm
18-11-2009, 09:15 AM
after you have any machine work done, wash everything, then wash it again (any sort of degreaser/solvent/kero will do, then when it is all clean, lay everything out on CLEAN lint free cloth, and lightly oil (with 2 stroke will do) to prevent any dirt or rust getting onto anything, clean all gasket surfaces properly, and ensure any metal to metal surfaces are clean and flat, make sure you use any recomended sealents, OH and what Cormorant said is of utmost importance, find out what happened, other wise you will be doing it all again very shortly.

picollo
18-11-2009, 10:04 AM
The engine failed due to wear and tear. I didn't use the boat for 12 months as I was interstate and the motor seized. The seals and gaskets were not sealing and water got into the gearbox. The seals on the crankshaft also need replacing.

The insides apart from rust on bolts looks immaculate. The pistons, powerhead ect look fine.