PDA

View Full Version : Somerset Dam access ???

paulp
17-11-2009, 02:48 PM
I have been told that boats must be off the water at a certain time at night is this correct???

I did go for a drive to the back of the dam a few months ago and noticed all access is now restricted cant even fish off the banks.

What the locals saying ??

Luc
17-11-2009, 03:33 PM
The Spit closes at a set time so you have to get out of there before it's shut.

When camping at Kirkleigh, I usually have a late afternoon session and don't get off the water until after dark & have had no problems.

Luc

bondy99
17-11-2009, 04:04 PM
Again it seems the user pay principle is knocking at the door...its ok for big business but a bastard for family members and / or the working poor...typical.

paulp
18-11-2009, 10:05 PM
Eventualy got in contact with somebody at somerset
was told the following

1) Fishing Permit
2) Boating Permit
3) Overnight Permit

Is this correct
He claims also vehicles can be towed away if no overnight permit
What can they Tax next

aussiebasser
19-11-2009, 05:34 AM
Nothing has changed in many years. The only camping area is at Kirkleagh. You have to pay to use it. You need a Stocked Impoundment Permit so we can keep putting fish in, and you need a boating permit so that SEQWater will continue to maintain the public areas. The banks you looked at up the top of the dam are mainly private leases, and these have been closed off because the leasees are sick of people messing up their places and letting their cattle out.

Feral
19-11-2009, 06:11 AM
You can be on the water overnight. Try joining one of the clubs who have leases for better access.

Permits only apply to trailer boats. (So roof toppers, kayaks, canoes etc dont need them.)

alphas
20-11-2009, 02:42 PM
Nothing has changed in many years. The only camping area is at Kirkleagh. You have to pay to use it. You need a Stocked Impoundment Permit so we can keep putting fish in, and you need a boating permit so that SEQWater will continue to maintain the public areas. The banks you looked at up the top of the dam are mainly private leases, and these have been closed off because the leasees are sick of people messing up their places and letting their cattle out.
So very true Dale.
I for one certainly dont mind paying to play.
If you honestly feel "taxed" by visiting,dont go.
Try some of the other impoundments that dont charge,but dont forget your S.I.P.

bushweek
20-11-2009, 03:20 PM
kirkleigh ramp is good with late finishers,

paulp
21-11-2009, 10:17 PM
I dont mind paying
Its that I dont wish to camp all I want to do is launch my boat in the afternoon and stay on the water overnight
still confused if I am allowed to do this or do I need the additional "Overnight Permit"
And will I have access to the ramp at any time if something should come up

aussiebasser
23-11-2009, 09:41 PM
As far as I can find out you are permitted to stay overnight in your boat. They would prefer if you anchor up and not move around too much. You would need to ensure that you displayed the correct navigation lights all night. I'm not sure about paying for the overnight stay. You are issued with a PIN to access Kirkleagh, you could probably ring them to find out.

Gordie
26-11-2009, 10:13 AM
I Agree With The Above. Pay To Play. And It Is All About The Numbers And Access Points. Remember We Have A Couple Of Million People Just An Hour Away.

What We Have Is A Very Clean Dam, Now And Then You Will See A Bit Of Rubbish That Has Washed Down In The Last Flood.

I Helped In A Clean Up In The Bribe Passage Some Years Ago And We Filled Around 10 Bags In A 100m Strip Of Shoreline. The Washing Machine We Found Would Not Fit In A Bag. Bloody Discusting.

Dont Let This Happen To Our Impoundents. I Was On Monduran Last Week And It Is Clean As A Whistle.

Keep Up The Good Work Fellas.

Regards Gordon