PDA

View Full Version : Etec 90hp Trim Gauge

mattyd
16-11-2009, 11:55 AM
For the last few trips my trim gauge on my Freedom Escape's ETEC 90 has stayed at the 'down' position and hasn't moved (regardless of the engine position).

I noticed before it died, the gauge on the dash became unreliable (seemed to be getting stuck).

It's due for it's first service this month (2006 model) so I might ask Downes Marine to check it for me.

Is this something I could fix myself? I read somewhere else on this forum that it may just be a case of a spring and/or lubricant somewhere.

Cheers.

Noelm
16-11-2009, 12:18 PM
it operates on a little lever sort of thing at the motor end, it was common (on older motors) for the lever to get stuck or sticky, just have a quick look, but if it is going in anyway, get them to check it out for you.

lethal098
16-11-2009, 12:22 PM
it will be the trim switch, the spring return sometimes seizes a little, tilt the motor up the way up and from memory on the left hand side,work it manually while spraying inox or the like and it will free it up, happens to quite a few motors, best to keep it lubricated upon return and after wash down. Oh and like the XT forester pulling it along. cheers Lee

mattyd
16-11-2009, 12:32 PM
Thanks guys - I will check this on the weekend and have a closer inspection.

Yep, love the turbo Forester thanks Lee. She's got all the power in the world to tow the 1.2T rig.

Cheers,
Matt

Chimo
16-11-2009, 12:45 PM
Hi Matt

The switch is on the left side high up near the pivot point.

After freeing it up you need to be sure to wash / rinse the unit carefully after each use. I had the same issue with mine yrs ago and learnt to keep it rinsed. Simple really.

Cheers
Chimo

mattyd
16-11-2009, 12:52 PM
Nice one thanks Chimo, it possibly hasn't been getting the attention it needs when I wash the boat each outing.

I like to think I keep her immaculate, but because of it's slightly 'covert' location it may have been missing a good wash / rinse. Maybe only getting splash as I'm cleaning the rest of the engine.

You've got me curious now - I'm going to check it out tonight after work!

lethal098
16-11-2009, 03:26 PM
Matt, yeah mate they are a nice rig thats for sure, let me know when she is due for a service, i work for Subaru so can help you out there. cheers Lee

spelchek
17-11-2009, 08:15 AM
Hi Subaru guys ... sorry - a little off topic, but I'm considering either a new forrester or outback (in the 2.0 diesel). Lethal - working for subi, you probably have driven one? How do you like it comp. with the petrol?? I've a vw golf tdi which has made me a total diesel convert. The only reason we're not considering another of the VW tdi range is whats available on the missus' allowable cars list (it's a work car). But subi having a diesel now (never owned one, but mate had an old, umm... brumby (was it?) and it was a legend car - I've always liked em since) makes them quite interesting to me.

I'd love to hear anyones opinion on the subi diesel if anyone's got one or cares to comment.

Sorry for aiding the hijack :P

lethal098
17-11-2009, 08:37 AM
spelchek,

yeah i have driven the new diesel extensively and i can tell you i really like it, only avail in manual so not suitable if the missus only drives auto, we have been getting up to 1150km out of a tank of fuel so very economical, towing capacity is also 1700kg, so quite a good tow rig. feel free to come down and drive one if you are new the city or toowong, let me know first and i will point you in the right direction of one of our sales staff. cheers Lee

spelchek
17-11-2009, 09:41 AM
Hiya lethal - thx. Firstly manual is fine with the missus (we've never had anything but). Are you talking forrester or outback (is the diesel avail in the forester - I'm not sure from memory?) I've actually just moved from brissey to bundy - so will be hoping to buy from here I'd say.

BTW - if it's not too much trouble - can you tell me what the rear seat width measurement on the subi website refers too - width of the seats or window-to-window? IS the outback significantly bigger than the forrester on the inside?

(once again sorry for the hijack - i just have no-one I know to pick their brains on current subi's)

Looking to put 3 car seats in the back.

lethal098
17-11-2009, 10:04 AM
spelchek,
the diesel is currently only avail in the outback, the rear seat width i believe is the cushion width so pretty much door to door, i cant see an issue with 3 baby seats across but have not done the exercise, the new outback is bigger than the forester internal. There is a member on here that runs gladstone motorworld and is closer and hey who knows he might look after the price, contact NEWBY. cheers Lee

spelchek
17-11-2009, 10:10 AM
Cheers Lee! Much appreciated. I'll shot you an email this evening (when I don't have the rugrats swingin from my ears!). Much appreciated.