PDA

View Full Version : help with 6hp yamaha no water

punter1969*
16-11-2009, 06:04 AM
got a 2004 6hp from my brother inlaw swaped my 6hp 4st and he gave me a $1000 he said it not pumping water so i went got new impella wash out the motor had few bit of stuff in there put it all back together started it still no water did the same thing again still no water every thing seems to be okay the motor has had very little use been in sitting in his shed any help would be trying to avoid the shop only for $$$ reasons

FNQCairns
16-11-2009, 07:09 AM
Pull the leg and use the garden hose on the water tube and see if you can get flow happening, be just a little careful with the volume and pressure the hose can put out.

This will allow you to discount or not the water pump and might even shift a blockage.

cheers fnq

Noelm
16-11-2009, 09:20 AM
quite a few possibilities here, first off, is there water pumping, but the tell tale is blocked? (as in is the motor over heating) thermostat could be rusted/corroded shut, is the flush attachment you are using the right one and fitting OK, plus adequate water pressure, are you sure you did the water pump correctly, is there a wasp/ant/spider/some other bug nest built in the system somewhere, and lastly, was it OK before it was stored away? need to eliminate all those simple possibilities first off.

lethal098
16-11-2009, 12:26 PM
how long are you letting it run for, the thermostat will be closed until it gets up to operating temperature, could be 3-5 minutes before this happens, maybe try taking the thermo out and retrying juts to make sure it wont overheat. cheers Lee

Noelm
16-11-2009, 12:44 PM
I do believe that on a Yamaha the water take off for the tell tale is not influenced by the thermostat, it is taken off before it.

wayno60
16-11-2009, 11:14 PM
Noel's on the money..
I had the same prob and did the same thing, new impella and still not pumping so i found the teltail outlet and feed some mig wire into it as far as i could. A lot of white shit came out everytime i pulled the wire out. Done that till clean and all good now...