PDA

View Full Version : poor guys

jimbosplumbing
15-11-2009, 07:29 PM
Did any one else happen to see this in bellbowrie yesterday morning. Not any one on here was it. Poor guys

gr hilly
15-11-2009, 07:32 PM
that dont help the weekend any

lethal098
15-11-2009, 07:33 PM
ouch, and you wonder why tie down straps were invented and safety chains, winch strap prob broke and no saftey chain fitted, i always have a tie down at the back as a precaution, no movement is good movement. do i fell sorry???? i am not sure. cheers Lee

wayno60
15-11-2009, 07:57 PM
sux to be in that car.....

do feel for em...

darkside
15-11-2009, 07:59 PM
Hey , lets not forget the big picture here.
They had a good contingent of "yobo" onlookers by the looks of that pic, imagine all the good advice they would be offering, thays really what you would need in that situation.

Damn !!!!!:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

bigjimg
15-11-2009, 08:18 PM
Wouldn't have happened if correctly secured on the trailer.An extra white line for the intersection.Definately not a good start too the day.Preparation before any journey will prevent just such an occurrance,surely if the winch cable was the only means of securing the boat that it would have had visible signs of wear to justify replacement.Nah don't feel sorry,hope a lesson was learned could of been much more serious than that.Jim

oldboot
15-11-2009, 09:25 PM
Oops.

Now the problem is, situations like this are more common that you would expect.

cheers

Midnight
15-11-2009, 09:36 PM
hehe::)

Sorry but that is all I can add

trueblue
15-11-2009, 09:49 PM
just a reminder to use a safety chain at all times...........

Jarrah Jack
15-11-2009, 09:55 PM
One of my boating fears which is hopefully why it won't happen to me. A lesson learned for those guys and at least it was at an intersection and not the highway.

oldboot
15-11-2009, 10:01 PM
Remember... the message is.....;)

Learn from the mistakes of others;D;D;D

Another common problem is the winch post breaking at the "U" bolts......so don't rely 100% on your winch post.

cheers

Axl
15-11-2009, 10:10 PM
Certainly pays to check over your kit after all it has to put up with some extreme elements

Sea-Dog
15-11-2009, 10:34 PM
My safety chain is not connected to the winch post.

It is in an inverted V shape with the ends of the chain shackled around the trailer tubing.

It has a turnbuckle on the rear leg of the inverted V for tension, and also a little chain and shackle to prevent the turnbuckle from turning during towing.

The pull from the chain is directly downwards on the bow eye of the boat.

The inverted V of the chain prevents the boat from moving either forward or backward on the trailer, should an emergency situation occur.

The winch post is only under tension when getting the boat onto or off the trailer.

Its all a bit over the top, but better safe than sorry.

suzygs1000
15-11-2009, 10:59 PM
Hey, Lee

Having the bow pulled down by chain, and then securing the stern to the trailer is not a good idea. Trailers flex a fair bit, and if you tie your boat to the trailer at both ends, it is going to flex with the trailer !

Not the ideal situation...

sleepygreg
16-11-2009, 12:14 AM
All i can say is OUCH!!!! and a lesson learned (hopefully), albeit an expensive one.

Greg

TimiBoy
16-11-2009, 05:57 AM
RULE 1.

Safety chains go on/come off when the tub's either about to leave the trailer, or about to be driven out.

Happened a few doors up from me once, too. All that gelcoat ground into the asphalt. Very dumb.

How many photos do people have to see before they learn that one? Dumb, dumb, dumb...

Cheers,

Tim

Jarrah Jack
16-11-2009, 08:20 AM
Agree with that Timi.

On the subject of the winch post moving or breaking I've seen it happen twice both during emergency brakeing and it is not a pretty sight.

It suggests that your standard post bracket arrangement could do with some beefing up especially with the heavier boats. The better your brakes work the more stress you can put on that join.

Just because you've stopped the trailer doesn't mean you've stopped the boat.

Stik-ugly
16-11-2009, 08:29 AM
It would have been interesting to see them get it back on the trailer

ped cairns
16-11-2009, 08:58 AM
Doesnt matter how many safety chains, d shackles you put on u bolt at front of boat,still only 2 little nuts holding it on, add another nut doing it up.
strap across back allways a good option and maybe 2 at tow hooks on back also but then you have to remember to undo at ramp

lethal098
16-11-2009, 11:22 AM
suzygs,
most boats on the road these days have them tied down either over the back of the boat or tied at the rear, have not seen any dramas and would love to hear from anyone that has, i would think the trailer would have very minimal flex through it and would be worried if that caused a problem with either the trailer or boat. cheers Lee

GAD
16-11-2009, 02:06 PM
I feel sorry for them and relieved it wasn't me

Goldfinch
16-11-2009, 04:33 PM
Yep...my safety and tie down has saved me twice so far when a winch gear knob gave way. Bet they felt pretty sick in the stomach.

marty+jojo
16-11-2009, 05:52 PM
People like this that help make insurance premiums so high. No sympathy, where is the safety chain and tie down strap? I only have a 4.2 mtr tinny and it has both connected at all times. IDIOTS, lucky they did not seriously hurt someone.
Marty.

black runner
16-11-2009, 07:38 PM
How anyone can consider, even for the briefest moment, not having rear tiedowns is beyond comprehension.:o

Not only do you risk losing the boat to a single point of failure at the front, but what stops the thing bouncing around and damaging the hull during normal trailing? Separate port and starboard tiedowns are a better method than an up and over single strap. Depending on the trailer setup the single strap can allow rotation/slip of he hull from side to side, but one is better than none. ::)

Maybe he just forgot in the rush to get away - Could have been worse if pedestrians got cleaned up.

Cheers

kevthommo
16-11-2009, 09:26 PM
ummm...foresight perhaps...preparing for that greenhouse coastal effect... No tsunami warning, was there??...nah...just took off a bit quick and there goes the linkage!

I'm often surprised at how often people try to "push in" when a little patience (often just 1 car!) sees a clear road to turn into.

Agree - many lessons perhaps to be learned here.

aussiebasser
17-11-2009, 08:25 PM
Hey, Lee

Having the bow pulled down by chain, and then securing the stern to the trailer is not a good idea. Trailers flex a fair bit, and if you tie your boat to the trailer at both ends, it is going to flex with the trailer !

Not the ideal situation...

Then again, the hull may stop the trailer from flexing. Tying it down properly is a lot better option than the guy in the pic up top had. There are some substantial penalties for failing to secure a load on a trailer too.

rat_catcher
18-11-2009, 12:00 PM
How anyone can consider, even for the briefest moment, not having rear tiedowns is beyond comprehension.
I agree and I know it seems strange that people would do it, but they do! A guy I know doesn't use rear tie-downs or a safety chain on the front. And guess what, he has never had a problem. I know if it was me, the bl**dy thing would fall off on the first trip, but for whatever reason he seems to be blessed.

A bit like the drunkard that drives home every night from the pub and never gets pulled over, but the guy that does it once gets done.

It is amazing how some people seem to get away with things.

Pretzil
18-11-2009, 01:48 PM
All I can say is
"How not to launch a boat"

greenie.77
18-11-2009, 07:36 PM
Geez you guys are harsh....Have a little sympathy, haven't you EVER done a Dumb thing??? Everyone has, and now that poor bugger has a stuffed up boat that he payed good money for, this is What's wrong with the world now, People forget that other person is just another person like themselves who has to go home and deal with his mistake!!!!! GROW UP!!!!

bigjimg
18-11-2009, 09:47 PM
Geez you guys are harsh....Have a little sympathy, haven't you EVER done a Dumb thing??? Everyone has, and now that poor bugger has a stuffed up boat that he payed good money for, this is What's wrong with the world now, People forget that other person is just another person like themselves who has to go home and deal with his mistake!!!!! GROW UP!!!!
Mate you tell me where all the common sense has gone in the world and i'll grow up.If i'm travelling down the highway with my family behind some clown like this as all goes pear shaped what then.He made the mistake he will live it hope it cost him plenty.Get stuffed.If this offends too bad.Jim

greenie.77
18-11-2009, 10:59 PM
Mate you tell me where all the common sense has gone in the world and i'll grow up.If i'm travelling down the highway with my family behind some clown like this as all goes pear shaped what then.He made the mistake he will live it hope it cost him plenty.Get stuffed.If this offends too bad.Jim

same place it was 30 years ago! there will ALWAYS be people with heaps of common sense, people with little, there will always be people from every walk of life with differing opinions, it's what makes the world the place it is. I'm the first to agree about the family thing, however, for every 'clown' who underestimates the weight of his boat there is 1000 'clowns' driving like maniacs, 1000 'clowns' drink driving.

I hope more than anything he learnt from his mistake and is now a lot safer on the roads. If he walks off giggling to himself, tommorrow he does the same thing, then I agree with you, but, for now, I'm happy to give him the benifit of the doubt and feel sorry for him.

Poor bugger!!:-[