PDA

View Full Version : Trailer with tinnie topper advice please

Platitudinus
14-11-2009, 05:55 PM
Hi guys;
Well we are joining the grey nomads next year and doing our big trip around Oz. Probably over a couple of years. We are looking at taking a camping trailer behind our Landcruiser and are seriously thinking about a tinnie on top of the trailer rather than the car.
Can anyone recommend a good quality camper trailer for off road use that is easy to open up and has all the mod cons (as we are getting old) that can take a small tinnie (3-3.5m) on top. Most of the newer trailers have all the gizmos, i.e solar, kitchen pull outs etc but dont look able to take the tinnie.

We certainly dont want to stick to the main roads and have enjoyed off roading for some years.
Perhaps we just need to visit the next local camping show?
Any advice will be appreciated.
Plato
PS: No Winnebagos!!!

Platitudinus
14-11-2009, 06:19 PM
I Have transfered this to the Camping section. Apologies
Plato

oldboot
15-11-2009, 10:54 AM
I have seen a couple of commercial options.

one had a roof topping style camper on top of what ammounts to a boat trailer......the roff topper could be stood on its own legs and then the boat and trailer snigged out from under.

one was a relativly normal camper trailer with a set of roof bars and not much more

the other was simply slapping the tinny ontop of the camper trailer.

the problem is some of them you have to remove the tinny to set up the camper.

sorry cant remember brands or anything.

I supose another option is a folding boat...I am not kidding.

cheers

Bros
16-11-2009, 07:25 AM
I have seen a couple of commercial options.

one had a roof topping style camper on top of what ammounts to a boat trailer......the roff topper could be stood on its own legs and then the boat and trailer snigged out from under.

I've seen a couple of these and they are as solid as a brick xxxxhouse. The trouble with tinnies carried on campers is how do you get it to the water and back. It ends up becoming too much of a hastle so you don't use the boat.
To do the job properly you need a least 3.5m boat with a 15 HP motor anything else and you are kidding yourself in addition you need a collapsable trailer.
Look closely a the camper on top of the boat trailer option.

Noelm
16-11-2009, 08:13 AM
this is an age old problem that no one has really solved, if you have a camper with the boat on top, you need to remove the boat every time you stop and setup your "house" even though you are not going to use the boat, and then if you do want to go boating, you have to pack everything up again, folding trailers are only just OK, they are flimsy and the wheels are small, and don't like any bumps, I have seen a home made setup, that had a tilting boat rack on the roof of the camper, all you did was released a pin and tilted the boat up on one side, this allowed the camper to be erected, but you still needed to pack up when you wanted to go boating, car topping is a pain as well, unpacking and lugging all your stuff back and forth, then loading the boat back on again, not to mention all the salt water dripping onto your car roof! I doubt there is an answer, just the best compromise to suit each individual!