PDA

View Full Version : Disk brake pads

FNQCairns
14-11-2009, 05:23 PM
Today I bought new springs, hubs, ubolts all the stuff to give the trailer a few extra years of trouble free use but i pulled up on the disk brake pads.

They where $24 for just one side (2 pads) Trojan brand...is this a typical price?

Also the blister pack of Trojan brand ford bearings (Chinese) I baulked at buying, so I asked at the counter for any Japanese ones, the total cost for the SKFs ended up just $2 more...bit wary of Trojan brand anything now.

It's been 4 or 5 years since I last did this so i probably have lost the pricing plot, feels like I shelled out alot of money for not a great deal of trailer stuff:-/

cheers fnq

Spaniard_King
14-11-2009, 06:00 PM
Yeh $24 aint bad for a set of pads.. Super cheap had disks onsale for $49 including bearings , seals and wheel nuts.. not bad.. chinese bearings tho.. good for a few klm :)

FNQCairns
14-11-2009, 06:09 PM
Thanks Gary i will drop in next time past and grab them. I paid 72 each for black bearing-less disks today but they had nuts:) I guess i should have shopped around more, would have been happy to punch those SC Chinese cones out to keep costs down.

cheers fnq

Actually if I didn't already have a dead set against Chinese bearings I would own a set right now, both of the sales persons at each place i bought at said there was nothing wrong with them at all.

dreemon
14-11-2009, 06:56 PM
FNQ, with the pads were the metal plates rusted badly on yours? mine allways stuffed up and swelled with rust, the brake guy said " yea they do that and nothin you can do bout that"

before I fitted mine on I did 2 coats of a heavy zink primer on all the metal and even on the edges of the pad to slow salt getting to the metal allong with a good topcoat of the best paint you have in the shed,

I found the pads lasted 2 years longer , well not the pads but the backing didn't cause the brakes to lock the trailer onto the driveway,

I think I payed the same price for pads as you but spent about $ 450 for the springs,

it's a job that is best with beer, Cheers

FNQCairns
14-11-2009, 09:33 PM
mine had 2 problems the swelling same as yours and embedded rust from the disks that rusted as i tried to bring them back enough with the handbrake but this time it was too little too late.

Thanks I usually paint everything else but not the pad backing as yet so yeah will give that a try this time.

Actually its a job best never done:)

cheers fnq

perko
15-11-2009, 05:00 AM
For cable operated disc brakes most calipers take a DB1028 which suits old holdens and you can pick them up for $20-30 for a set which has 4 pads so it will do both sides. If it is hydraulic trojan calipers there are not many options as they are a pad that is not used in anything else. You either have to get trojan or there is a company called maxistop that do make them and they would be half the price and twice the quality of the trojan ones.

Wahoo
15-11-2009, 06:08 AM
Scott, I have a bearing race install Kit here if you need to ues, makes replacing bearings a breeze

Daz

FNQCairns
15-11-2009, 07:51 AM
For cable operated disc brakes most calipers take a DB1028 which suits old holdens and you can pick them up for $20-30 for a set which has 4 pads so it will do both sides. If it is hydraulic trojan calipers there are not many options as they are a pad that is not used in anything else. You either have to get trojan or there is a company called maxistop that do make them and they would be half the price and twice the quality of the trojan ones.

Thanks yeah it is the basic cable setup, will look into that part number the price certainly seems right for what i originally thought they should be worth.

cheers fnq

Chimo
15-11-2009, 07:56 AM
http://www.maxistop.com/

FNQCairns
15-11-2009, 07:58 AM
Scott, I have a bearing race install Kit here if you need to ues, makes replacing bearings a breeze

Daz

Thanks Daz for the kind offer but I already prepared the hubs yesterday arvo, are those kits worthy of having along for a road trip? Never used one myself.

cheers fnq

GBC
15-11-2009, 07:58 AM
They hydraulics on my mackay take a commodore disk if it helps anyone.

FNQCairns
18-11-2009, 09:29 AM
Well I chased up the DB1028 disk pads, couldn't find anything through 5 large auto parts stores using the part number any cheaper than $42.85 a pack of 4....it's a saving...rare car fitment these days and the trailer ones have trailer stamped on the package so I guess as in all marketing the price will buoy towards the uppermost extreme whenever possible...worth a try but i should have known and just grabbed what was there this time.

thanks all for the replies.

cheers fnq

fishmtb
08-01-2010, 02:40 PM
Hey guys,

sorry to hyjack but has anyone seen an exploded view of trailer cable disc brakes on the net anywhere? I'm a quarter of the way through changing some pads and could use a pic.

cheers in advance

Gordo

Mad-One
09-01-2010, 05:56 AM
try this http://www.trojanparts.com.au/files/FI14.pdf
or this http://www.trojanparts.com.au/files/FI12.pdf

Cheers Mad

Mad-One
09-01-2010, 05:56 AM
If that doesn't help I 'll bring the catalogue home and scan it for you

Cheers Phil

Spaniard_King
09-01-2010, 09:13 PM
Phil,,, ya been out.. mackerel have been goin nuts of late..

Mad-One
11-01-2010, 05:34 AM
As usual Gary I seem to be workin on all the good days. My son inlaw and 12yr old grandson went out Sat in his 4m tinny and got one 70cm and his first. Off to Tassy this week for my eldest boys wedding then hope to get into some when I get back

Cheers Phil