PDA

View Full Version : Gar In Somerset

Gordie
13-11-2009, 02:16 PM
G'day fellas, just a tip on catching the Garfish on the dam.

I am goin to try them as bait if I can catch the little devils.

I have tried fly fishing for them, small shrimp pattens, no luck. Tried flys you would use for trout, no good.

A little bread on the hook, they were more interested in the knots on my leader than the bread.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards Gordon

Batters
13-11-2009, 03:28 PM
hey mate caught them in cresbrook on little bits of freshly killed and peeled cray/shrimp tails. used tiny tiny tiny mustard fly hooks bout 20cm under a float got plenty of gar and even a few rainbows caught a bass on one of the live rainbows not long after. didnt try the garfish but should be good live bait.

cheers
mick

Feral
13-11-2009, 03:33 PM
Berley them up with bread before tossing in a bait jig.

Gordie
15-11-2009, 07:12 AM
Thanks boys I will give it a try.

Regards Gordon

darylive
15-11-2009, 07:39 PM
Berley them up with bread and toss a cast net over them.

Gordie
16-11-2009, 07:47 AM
It would be so easy but we are not to use them in the dams. Once I find the perfect bait and hook size I will let every one know.

Believe me there is enough to go around.

Regards Gordon

bondy99
16-11-2009, 07:46 PM
No worries Gordie,

Plenty of Garfish I also noticed in Wivenhoe of late too.

Small pieces of prawn on a small hook with small lead on float, mate caught 35 in 10 minutes. Also used dough on the hook, like miniature marlins, good to eat and nice for tailor bait.

Peter

snodger 08
18-11-2009, 08:43 AM
Gordie,
I do alright with bread on a small whitting hook abut 2 feet under a float at Cressy. Like the other guys said, burly them up with bread or bread crumbs first.
Cheers
Steve

darylive
18-11-2009, 06:10 PM
Berley them up with bread and toss a cast net over them.

Learn something every day :-[

Not that I have used one cause I only use lures but good to know.

Langey
18-11-2009, 10:07 PM
if u want to get em on fly,a size 10 hook and a bit of flash tied on will do the trick....caught countless in cressie using this method...make sure u got em burleyed up with some bead though...small bread flies will work also if ugot em burleyed up...ive also caught plenty of bass with gar stickin outta there gob,,so should go well as livies

Cammy
19-11-2009, 01:48 AM
Dough is the go! Love it, berly is also the key.

Cam

shayned
22-11-2009, 09:50 PM
Gordy a size no.12 fine wire long shank hook is about the best all round size but no.10 - 16 all work. If you want the absolute low down clink on this link.
http://www.prfma.com.au/prfma/Snub_nosed_Garfish.html

I'm just an average fisho and can still manage one every couple of minutes when they are biting.

By the way a cast net in fresh water will cost you a bit of a fine if caught and I think a bait jig is against the rules too, maybe someone can confirm that.

Gordie
23-11-2009, 06:37 PM
Thank you fellas.

I expect to shake up a few of those fish symbols that have been bugging me
along the old river bed.

I normally play with lures and I just would like to identify them. Still catch and release.

Thanks again. There is a wealth of knowledge out there.

Regards Gordon