PDA

View Full Version : 50 HP engines

MickS
13-11-2009, 02:10 PM
Just wondering what others think is the best engine in this power range.(50 HP)

I'm partial to ETECS, but have been told the Hondas are pretty good, and the weight is not to bad. Have heard positives about Suzukis as well.

Comments appreciated.

Scott nthQld
13-11-2009, 03:50 PM
dunno about the etec or suzi, but the older (only a couple of years) hondas were only a 2cyl and didn't quite had the get up and go to push a decent load. Check the specs and look for a 3cyl. personally, I'm partial to a 4 stroke, so I would look at either honda or the suzi, and would pick a 3cyl with a decent amount of cc's.

Just had a look, both the honda ans suzi are 3cyl, I would probably go the honda due to its weight being slightly less, depending on price and dealer service though

STUIE63
13-11-2009, 05:30 PM
Mick the yammie 4 stroke has 4 cyl it would be my pick in this size .but I would only get it if there was a GOOD local dealer if there wasn't then I would get another brand they are all good
Stuie

MickS
13-11-2009, 05:53 PM
The weight difference is interesting. The Honda is 10kg lighter than the etec, and I'm told (by a dealer who has both) that the Honda is quieter. The Etec will have a better hole jump, and more top end speed.
The Honda needs to be serviced more, once a year, but the Etecs oil is very expensive, so I reckon running costs are about the same.
I think Ican get the Honda a bit cheaper at the moment.

John Buoy
13-11-2009, 06:56 PM
I have twin BF 50's on my cat and and they run like clock work and never miss a beat.
For a 3cyl carbie version i'm getting 2.7kl'm per liter for BOTH motors.
the fuel economy is a standout.
Speaking with a couple water taxi guys in sydney recently and they are clocking up close to 12,000hrs on these 50's so far and still going strong..
Corrosion and bad fuel is there pet hate.

Regards Frank

Spaniard_King
13-11-2009, 09:14 PM
The weight difference is interesting. The Honda is 10kg lighter than the etec, and I'm told (by a dealer who has both) that the Honda is quieter. The Etec will have a better hole jump, and more top end speed.
The Honda needs to be serviced more, once a year, but the Etecs oil is very expensive, so I reckon running costs are about the same.
I think Ican get the Honda a bit cheaper at the moment.

You say the etec will have a better top end well I guarantee the Honda will outlast the etec at WOT;) also if you want holeshot get it propped right:o

twist
14-11-2009, 09:18 PM
I have two 50hp etecs on my cat and your right. They are a little louder, little heavier, little faster and a little bit dearer to run than the Honda. I would personally buy the Honda next time. I would have to say I would buy their cars, mowers, outboards, generators etc etc they are a great product!

oldboot
14-11-2009, 10:42 PM
Don't get excited about the long service interval with the etec.....it'll be back to the dealer before that if past reports are anything to go by.

finding a reliable dealer will be a big factor in the choice.

Honda's are popular in Tounsville because the dealer up there has a good rep......likewise you wont see too many hondas on the southside of brisbane

my choice would be a 4 stroke yamy, sizi or honda.

cheers

MickS
15-11-2009, 07:11 AM
Having a local dealer is very important. The local ones to me are the Etec, Honda, Merc/Mariner, a bit further afield are the Suzuki.

A quick question for the Honda owners, what is the wash down procedure, do you need the engibe running while cleaning?

wiz
15-11-2009, 07:49 AM
I have the carb model, I use muffs, you have to put tape over the pickup on the underside of the cav plate

oldboot
15-11-2009, 09:05 AM
you are kidding yourself if you think you can properly clean a motor without it running

As soon as the clod water hits the thermostat it will shut restricting flow ... even if the motor was warm to start with
apart from the fact that any moving parts in the cooling system wont be moving if the motor isn't running.

If the noise and water pissing everywhere worries you....drop it in a tub...... considerably quieter.

there are plenty of options.... but the easiest is a big black rectangular plastic tub from bunnings for a bout $60

cheers

John Buoy
15-11-2009, 11:27 AM
I have the carb model, I use muffs, you have to put tape over the pickup on the underside of the cav plate
Ditto for me.
Tape over pick up under cav plate is critical!!

Tim_N
15-11-2009, 12:17 PM
My pick is the 50 hp Yamaha 4 stroke. I have a 2002 carby model with over 2000 hours on it and it has been so reliable and fuel efficient, it continually surprises me.
If you don't have a Yammie dealer, then go for the dealer with the best reputation in your area. They are all good, it is the back up service you're after.
The Yammie is very light too but I think they are all coming down in weight nowadays.
The worse thing you can do for an any engine is not to run it regularly, so whatever your choice, go fishing often.
Tim

MickS
15-11-2009, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.
Tim, your right, it is now time to go fishing more, I now get Fridays off and as Friday and Fishing start with the same letter, well it only makes sense.

It will be interesting to see what the comparitive quotes are for the Honda and the ETEC.

The ETEC comes with a stainless prop, with the Honda it must be ordered seperatly.

Mudlicker
15-11-2009, 03:02 PM
I have a 2008 yammie 50 on my 4.35 TABS , and would highly recomend it , it pushes the boat along quite well , about 52 km/hr WOT, with a 12 pitch prop , and have found that the permatrim that i fitted has compensated for the little extra weight of the Yammie , now I can plain at very low speeds when in rough water .Awsome fuel economy and starts first time every time.Hpe this helps .

;D

bushweek
15-11-2009, 04:18 PM
i have a 3 month old tohatsu 50hp, runs like a dream, no worries with it, my family has had plenty before this one and you just cant kill them, youle certainly get your moneys worth, today did close to 41 km crabbing and used 24 litres. there light and powerful, have got this one on a 4.35 allycraft but my family has one on a 16ft fibreglass and it does 20 knots no worries and uses little fuel to.
there not everyones cup of tea but people that have had them wont knock them.

MickS
16-11-2009, 04:22 PM
The Honda has an alloy prop, where the ETEC has a stainless prop. You can get a stainless for the Honda but it's about another $500.00

The ETEC is looking like it will work out cheaper, to the tune of about $700.00

Decisions, decisions...........

whatscracken
16-11-2009, 05:07 PM
I'd go for a 4 stroke with a Yamaha being my preferred brand but Honda and Suzuki will do the job. Nothing wrong with the power of the 4 strokes out of the hole either.

Lancair
16-11-2009, 06:54 PM
I just thought Id post you some figures from my Etec40. I know you after a 50 but . . .

The past weekend I did 90nm or 166km and used at a guess 40litres. I say a guess because I used 25lts to get from Southport to the pin area, fished for a bit motored around looking at campsites. Did a night run up canipa passage, around the top following lit beacons and back down the main channel following lit beacons and back to my camp on crusoe isl. Next morning I added 20lt to the tank from a jerry can and repeated the run up north and back down main channel to Horizon marina where I added 10 lts. Ran back down to the ramp at the goldy VMR opposite seaworld with some stopping for a fish on the way and mucking around the seaway area for a bit. Theres now approx 15 lts left in the 25lt tank. So a total of 55lt added and approx 15 left equals 40 used. That works out at approx 4.1 kms per litre. :D

PRETTY DAMN GOOD. Although, admitably not quite as good as John Bouy's 2.7km/l for both. That would be 5.4km/l for a single. :o

Ive done about 150hrs on my Etec now and about 3/4 through my 2nd bottle of oil. So the oils isnt that expensive. I had a service done just a few weeks ago, at just over 2 yrs old, not really needed but for peace of mind. Was $325 for a full service as would be done at 3yrs. Being the paranoid person I am I also had the mechanic remove the lower leg and regrease all major bolts at about 12months old too, which was about $175.

BTW my etec is on a 4.2m Stessco Catcher.

Just giving you some figures to assist in making an informed decision.

MickS
19-11-2009, 10:09 PM
Well I chose the ETEC in the end. It was simply a case of the devil you know, and a slight price difference. Both the HOnda and the ETEC are very good engines.
My boat should be ready in the morning. It will be interesting to see the difference in performance.

MickS
21-11-2009, 06:40 AM
Just a follow up note. Took the boat for a spin yesterday afternoon, and a big difference in performance. It jumps out of the hole, and is much quicker with the new 50hp. With the 40 I drove it flat out everywhere, the 50 at cruising revs is still going faster.

The comments about the prop on the 40 were correct, it turns out it was the wrong size prop, and it never reached full revs.

Very happy with the 50, should have probably gone that way on the boat from the start.

Spaniard_King
21-11-2009, 10:35 AM
Good one Mick,

I hope she serves you well!