PDA

View Full Version : Safty Prop.

aussiefool
13-11-2009, 02:34 AM
I was watching the "New Inventors on ABC the other night and they had this new type of Prop on I thought it was a great idea that could save a lot of horrendous injuries each year.

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/newinventors/txt/s2736928.htm

Claimed less than 1% power loss in test. Be good to see final test and costing though.
Aussiefool
Andrew

captain rednut
13-11-2009, 05:58 AM
looks good! i would like to know what its made of?? i dont know about the slots in the blade for performance. wait and see how much they are?
cheers cr

PADDLES
13-11-2009, 07:42 AM
i reckon these will become commonplace soon. he was aiming the modification at existing manufacturers too. ie. they would simply machine out their existing moulds to incorporate that thicker leading edge. so simple and yet brilliant, as long as there's no huge loss of efficiency. propellor cuts to marine life would be greatly reduced and us boaties might cop a bit less flak from the greenies.

cormorant
13-11-2009, 08:48 AM
I hope it is as effecient etc as that is fuel ecconomy

Perhaps it would be good for those who do a lot of tube towing where there is a chance of impact with a human.

The key to it is do any of the injuries happen at low revs as at high rotation speed it is still going to hurt

A prop is basically a rotating plane wing set up as a screw. Aircraft companies and everyone spend millions in design and tank testing but I guess they don't consider impacts and leccy makers do props for weed etc. They may have missed something

More testing required and real numbers

dreemon
13-11-2009, 10:20 AM
the skeg and leg will allways do damage to a body but at least the prop wont mince.