PDA

View Full Version : Need a paint blend on my hull, any recommendations?

Chamelion
12-11-2009, 10:59 PM
Hi there,

A local repairer has failed half a dozen times in repairing my boat properly. She's been off the water for 99% of this year.
She's just about done, but they didn't get the paint done right with two attempts so club marine has authorised me to get a quote from someone else who will hopefully do the job right. The current paint is patchy, runny and is starting to bubble after one use out on the water.

I'm in Maroochydore on the sunshine coast. Is anyone able to recommend someone decent that I can take the boat to for a quote?

I'm also interested in getting the boat detailed so that I can list it for sale. Money's been tight all year and this bloody thing has robbed us of quite a bit of money due to having to pay insurance, rego and loan interest.

Cheers,

Matt.

cormorant
13-11-2009, 09:07 AM
Nice if the insurers actually did their job , a proper post repair inspection and report for a start. Actualy glad you wrote it down as so many others get crap work done that could be deadly an are short changed by insurers who accept the lowest quote not proper repairs. This thing where paint is " acceptable" as a replacement for a gel coat repair is nothing short of bullshit

Insurers should wake up and stop skimping and dealing with repairers that don't have the skill and quality control to do repairs - it shouldn't be a cost thing and the public is always getting ripped offfa s the repaired boat has lower resale so often as the repair is obvious.

Your whole situation has been a horrible experience and I guess it won't be making the insurance companies pretty magazine

Amazes me if a big powerful insurer can continiously accept shoddy work then the average Joe Blow on the street must be getting seriously ripped off

Sorry I don't know anyone local to you.

Perhaps the insurer should invoke the lemon repair rule and just pay you out and then it is their problem to on sell the boat - as if. That is what a insurance ombudsman should do if the case was taken to him and also shout you compo for the time without the boats use and all costs. .

Good luck and hope it works out as there is nothing worse than the dissappointment of no use out of something you pay for but a few days on the water and forgeting about it sure helps.

lethal098
13-11-2009, 11:10 AM
Matt, i had mine done by Sean at top flight sprayworx at caboolture, i can highly reccomend his work, website is www.topflightsprayworx.com.au (http://www.topflightsprayworx.com.au)
cheers Lee

Robbo76
13-11-2009, 11:41 AM
Matt, I've been following your story and agree with cormo. Unfortunately I am unable to help out, but I do wish you the best of luck with it all mate.

All the best,
Rob

siegfried
13-11-2009, 05:28 PM
Cant help with a painter mate but in regard to paint you wont go past Jotun, mine was done in Jotun 2 pak and it is the go for marine applications, good luck

White Pointer
13-11-2009, 07:40 PM
G'day,

I strongly suggest that you forget about patch and feather painting. Colour matching is next to near impossible when the finish has been exposed to salt and extreme sunlight.

The bubbling effect suggests that the paint is not bonding and this can be caused by defects in the repair allowing water ingress or incompatible paint materials. The side needs to be stripped, primed and completely refinished in my view.

Regards,

White Pointer

Dicko
13-11-2009, 07:50 PM
From what I see in your other post, is you've had a glass repair done, and they keep trying to paint the patch to match the existing gel coat colour.

I'm no expert & only dabble in home jobs on cars & boats, but from what I understand, that can't work. The repair job must be either coloured gel coat to match or paint the whole hull. You can't just paint a small 'patch' of the underside of a gel coat hull and expect it to stay on. No paint will feather in that well and still stick. There'll still be an amount of 'edge' to catch the water an pull the lot off.

Edit: I agree with white pointer above, who must have posted while I was mixing another bourbon. ;D

Chamelion
13-11-2009, 09:42 PM
From what I see in your other post, is you've had a glass repair done, and they keep trying to paint the patch to match the existing gel coat colour.

I'm no expert & only dabble in home jobs on cars & boats, but from what I understand, that can't work. The repair job must be either coloured gel coat to match or paint the whole hull. You can't just paint a small 'patch' of the underside of a gel coat hull and expect it to stay on. No paint will feather in that well and still stick. There'll still be an amount of 'edge' to catch the water an pull the lot off.

Edit: I agree with white pointer above, who must have posted while I was mixing another bourbon. ;D

That's exactly my concern, but club marine seem to be of the opinion that a "paint blend only" is acceptable.

Should I fight it? I've been fighting over this ####ing thing for nearly a year now... what a miserable first boat owning experience. :-/

Stuart
14-11-2009, 07:13 AM
I live on the Sunshine Coast and I can highly recomend Harold from Wurtulla. I will have to have a dig around for his number but his work is next to perfect. He did a few big jobs for us and he mached the gel coat to perfection. I will have a look for his number today.

Stu