PDA

View Full Version : 40 HP Etec Question

MickS
12-11-2009, 04:31 PM
G'day All

I currently have a 4.49 Nomad with a 40hp etec on the back. The boat goes well, suits my needs, but the one problem I've had is that when there is a bit of weight in the boat it takes awhile to jump out of the hole.

So I was thinking of replacing the engine maybe with a 50 hp etec. Interesting thing is that the specs on the 40,50,and 60 are very similar which gets me thinking that they may be same engine with a few internal modifications.

This also gets me thinking that maybe the 40hp could be modified to increase it's power, and save me the cost, and trouble of repowering.

I would appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Cheers

MickS

Jabba_
12-11-2009, 05:19 PM
Your right, there all the same engine... But it's the EMM (Computer) that hold a differant mapping to increase the hp from 40 to 50 to 60hp.....

There is not a hope in hell that you'll be able to increase the HP to a higher output...

Read the link to understand why.. A member inquired about increasing his 150 to a 175hp.... It just cant be done without spending heap and heaps off cash...
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=156963&highlight=injector

You would be better off trying some differant props. Go a lower pitch and try the Rogue in a 13" pitch... Apparently it a awesome prop with outstanding hole shot and very good cruise speeds

DTHCoCo
13-11-2009, 06:23 AM
The 60hp also has water injection in the exhaust and supposedly has different cyclinder head porting.But I believe the 40 and 50 to be the same.

ross_woody
13-11-2009, 05:43 PM
Had the same issue for my 4.5 bluefin. Did the research to find a 50 etec only having 2 cyls compared to 4cyl 60hp 4 stroke merc. Price was just to good to go etec. Performance is great, over 160hrs in 12 months with no downtime, now around 180 to 190 hrs. Recent trip Cleveland to 4 beacons 2.5 hours trolling then return for approx 10 to 15 litres of fuel. Good Luck choosing

BaitThrower
13-11-2009, 08:49 PM
get some more weight up front and make sure you distribute it evenly. I have a 4.3m Sea Jay that holds quite a bit of weight and it leaps out of the hole in under 3 seconds on the plane with a 30Hp Yammy on the back... And given E-tec is supposed to blitz all else, it sounds like boat/engine setup may be the issue?