PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Outboards

wayno60
11-11-2009, 09:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MUeWgGATSM&feature=related

ozscott
11-11-2009, 10:06 PM
Very interesting (even if it does look funny)...sounds like a small scania sitting on your hammer...but not too bad

Cheers

ozscott
11-11-2009, 10:09 PM
You would have to think the cost would be massive even in full production...but then again $20k for a modern mid to large size stroke direct injection or 4 stroke (say 175-200) outboard is hardly cheap anyway

Cheers

Noelm
12-11-2009, 08:03 AM
the concept has been fooled about with for many years now, and these guys have been making that motor for a long time as well, but I guess seeing as there is a million Diesel small cars made over seas these days, there has been a lot of development into making a small (that is light) diesel that actually goes, is reasonably quiet and well suited to cars and now boats, and not just trucks and trawlers, who knows what is around the corner for us, the current E-tec V 4 stroke war may be a moot point in the future.

FNQCairns
12-11-2009, 08:58 AM
Did i hear a turbo spooling up? sure i would be imagining it.

cheers fnq

Kondo 1
12-11-2009, 09:35 AM

cheers fnq

Im sure I heard it too - that would be interesting to drive.

cbruh1
12-11-2009, 09:39 AM

cheers fnq

I was thinking the exact same thing......

It looks really tall and skinny aswell..

cormorant
12-11-2009, 10:10 AM
yes it is a turbo, intercooled I thought with coolant cooled block for no corrosion

have had it on the bench for durability at over 300hp from 3l is good. They were picjing teh best of all diesel durable simple technology and putting it into one package - competition should be scared if they produce this in any numbers.

releasing in USA next spring I was told months ago but I think that was said last year

Not that much heavier than 300hp plus petrol and longer service schedules , standard parts long life

Finally they have a lowerunit that will take the grunt and last was the last I was told

No idea of pricing but these guys intend on being competitive and know the commercial game market very well. A diesel has always been good at attracting fish

Emmissions will be interesting with all the EPA laws around. Near impossible tofit carbon particulate filters in a outboard like trying to fit a cat converter on a petrol.

they don't talk much or update their website

http://www.megoutboard.com/30L_vision.php

Be happy to hear them up and running as the industry need a shake up big time. Sooner the better

Anyone reading anything on OS sites recently about them?