PDA

View Full Version : I now own a boat!!!!

bdaearth
11-11-2009, 08:16 PM
I have just purchased my first boat it is a 2007 stacer proline angler 399 and has a 30 two stroke Yamaha on the back ;D I am looking for a bow mount electric for her and a couple of new rods and I will be set. If you said I was happy it would be a understatement and looking at the weather forecast for the weekend it looks like I should be able to take her for a good run.

Ok thats all just wanted to tell someone:D

BR65
11-11-2009, 08:33 PM
Congrats mate, enjoy it!

sharkymark2
11-11-2009, 09:07 PM
Awesome..... tight lines and no sunburn or midges;).

Eelman
11-11-2009, 09:10 PM
BCF have 15% off their store stock of Watersnake electric motors until Friday. You can layby if your finances don't allow for a purchase now. I laybyed one today, the bow mounted 54 pound model with foot control for $594. You'll probably need a quick release mount which are $89 or $149 depending on which model you go for.

White Pointer
11-11-2009, 09:20 PM
G'day,

You have two days left to admire it before the weekend - or you could spend the time making checklists.

Stuff like "put rods in boat", "put tackle box in boat", "screw in bungs", "double check bungs", "make sure tow coupling is down and secure", "make sure trailer lock and keys are in car boot", "remember to put on trailer lock and take keys with you, not leave in lock", "secure anchor rope before throwing it over", "triple check bungs".

Then ask yourself questions: "Where is the winch handle?" "Is the winch cable bound up?" "How do you release this safety chain?" "How far should I back in?"

Then we move on to safety checks for when you're out in the deep. Let us know when you're launching and from where. Members here may offer a hand to see you safely away. Your local VMR or Coastguard will also assist. Pay the dues and join up. It's lonely out there when the boat won't go and the weather is turning to foul.

Enjoy - and don't make the same novice mistakes as the rest of us!

White Pointer

sleepygreg
11-11-2009, 10:11 PM
Congrats on the new boat. White Pointer offers some sage like advice there. Dont be like the rest of us....learn by our mistakes. All the best in your new boat...I look forward to a report on her first outing..and many more posts in the future.

Greg

Robbo76
11-11-2009, 10:16 PM
Congrats on the new toy! ahh, one day I'll get a new boat.

White Pointer has some good advice there.

markbxy
11-11-2009, 10:21 PM
Congrats I f for what ever reason somthin goes wrong will be out and about the jacobs well area my call sighn is CI on 82 or pop over for a chat
If need help in the deep stuff more than willing to help any chance to take the boat out:D
Good luck

Axl
11-11-2009, 10:53 PM
bdaearth

Congrates mate I am sure you will get plenty of enjoyment out of your new toy I to have purchased a new rig hopefully it is only a couple of weeks away now.

Well done to all who are offering advice keep it up.

Damned67
11-11-2009, 10:54 PM
Awesome!
Yep, lot's to learn....
I got my first boat at Easter. First trip to the ramp, I learnt not to leave the fuel tank in the boat with the rods (flat floor on the boat). Yep, lost two rods. The tank now rides in the boot of the car.
Then, at the ramp, I dropped the engine down to make sure it fired, then had the boat pushed off the trailer.... without raising the motor back up. While it didn't seem to damage the engine at all, I now don't launch off the trailer without making sure the engine is raised. It was quite an uncomfortable feeling and sound when the boat came down on the skeg.
The boat builder REALLY wanted me to get it painted. I declined saying that my first boat should remain unpainted for some time. It was a wise choice, otherwise it'd be having to go in for a paint job already (some of the pontoons that you may come up against seem to like to leave scratches).....
Oh, and I've found that low tide can leave some shallow sand banks that seem to slow the boat down very rapidly.... They never seemed to bother the canoe?
Oh, and I'd read all the different posts on here about leaving the bungs out. Though to myself, 'I'll never do that'..... let's just say that I hope I never do that again....

I should also add, since buying the boat, I've been getting out in some very ordinary weather. Those times when I get to the ramp on a Saturday, to find the car park completely empty, and thought to myself 'this can't be good'. Luckily, I launch at the Manly marina, so if I get out of the marina, or out through the leads, before calling it quits, it's not too far back. Although there have been a few times when I got out past Green Is, stopped, put my life jacket on, and slowly motored back. I now feel more comfortable knowing the limits of my ability and that of the boat. All done as safely as possible, of course.

That said, if I had have know both how much I love my boat, and how much I use it, I would have bought one years ago!

Cheers, and good luck!

MyEscape
12-11-2009, 05:20 AM
Yep, congrats on getting your first boat. Makes you want to tell everybody!

Bit like getting the first car.

All the best

Steve

mattyd
12-11-2009, 10:23 AM
Great to read your story mate.

I was in the same 'boat' (pardon the pun!) when I picked up BOTH new car & boat last year.

It's all about gradually getting more comfortable in different conditions, or as my father in law keeps telling me - "it's knowing WHEN you can go out, and when to stay in".

We mainly stick to the sheltered bays around Scarby (north) or Viccie Point (south). Plenty of room to learn in those areas without getting to far away from the safety of the ramp.

Enjoy your new craft, and may there be many more years of pleasure for you & the family to get out.

Razgo-
12-11-2009, 05:58 PM
nice one, plenty of power thats for sure.

wags on the water
12-11-2009, 06:28 PM
Will it be going on the roof of the Prado?

Black_Rat
12-11-2009, 07:59 PM
Well done ! I reckon a 4m tinnie with a 30 is a great start to boating ! Congratulations ;D may your rod ben often !

Damo

bdaearth
12-11-2009, 08:19 PM
BCF have 15% off their store stock of Watersnake electric motors until Friday. You can layby if your finances don't allow for a purchase now. I laybyed one today, the bow mounted 54 pound model with foot control for $594. You'll probably need a quick release mount which are $89 or $149 depending on which model you go for.

I have the cash ready to go but the bcf I went to didnt have the one you are talking about I think I may have to ring around tomorrow

bdaearth
12-11-2009, 08:26 PM
G'day,

You have two days left to admire it before the weekend - or you could spend the time making checklists.

Stuff like "put rods in boat", "put tackle box in boat", "screw in bungs", "double check bungs", "make sure tow coupling is down and secure", "make sure trailer lock and keys are in car boot", "remember to put on trailer lock and take keys with you, not leave in lock", "secure anchor rope before throwing it over", "triple check bungs".

Then ask yourself questions: "Where is the winch handle?" "Is the winch cable bound up?" "How do you release this safety chain?" "How far should I back in?"

Then we move on to safety checks for when you're out in the deep. Let us know when you're launching and from where. Members here may offer a hand to see you safely away. Your local VMR or Coastguard will also assist. Pay the dues and join up. It's lonely out there when the boat won't go and the weather is turning to foul.

Enjoy - and don't make the same novice mistakes as the rest of us!

White Pointer

I am not totally new to the boat thing but still have a bit to learn (well a lot) I have spent a lot of my time in boats offshore as my old boy has a 3000 kevlacat. The rods are loaded as is the tackle box but that anchor is a good one better check that:-[ .

I have donated to our vmr a few times but never joined so I suppose now is the time.8-)

bdaearth
12-11-2009, 08:35 PM
Will it be going on the roof of the Prado?

No this one will be going on the towball behind the prado!!!! now all I have to do is figure out how to tow the boat and the camper both at the same time::)

Sea Wulf
12-11-2009, 08:53 PM
How cool is that!!! :D First boat? Man, you must be stoked! Congrats! Just remember to take it slowly and learn your limits - there's a ton of great educational material and a lot of very knowledgable folks out and about, and especially on this forum. 8-)

All the best to you and hope you have a heap of fun learning all about it (and catch plenty of nice fish too!) ;D;D;D

Cheers! ;)

wags on the water
12-11-2009, 09:08 PM
No this one will be going on the towball behind the prado!!!! now all I have to do is figure out how to tow the boat and the camper both at the same time::)

I think it's called a road train......

White Pointer
13-11-2009, 08:05 PM
I am not totally new to the boat thing but still have a bit to learn (well a lot) I have spent a lot of my time in boats offshore as my old boy has a 3000 kevlacat. The rods are loaded as is the tackle box but that anchor is a good one better check that:-[ .

I have donated to our vmr a few times but never joined so I suppose now is the time.8-)

G'day,

I wasn't new to it either.

I was mad keen 30 years ago; I had a boat and access to a big game fishing trawler and learned all there was to know. But marriage and kids put an end to that for a while.

But last year I got the bug again. I bought a 4.3M canoe and fished inshore out of Scarborough until the 6M platey came along. I made all my mistakes (I think!) in the canoe (Yes! I left the bung out) and resorted to checklists until I had it all memorised. Now, I won't let anyone help me and if they just pitch in I check their work.

I'm as fanatical about servicing and maintenance on the boats and cars - a thorough pain in the bum. But I figure if a failure can kill you, you are not authorised to fail.

What has been my biggest surprise is the advances in boat design and instrumentation, engine performance and economy and fishing tackle. I feel as though I'm emerging from the dark ages!

All the best. Enjoy. Be safe.

White Pointer

littlemac
13-11-2009, 11:27 PM
congrats on the new boat.

i hope you get some great fish in it

cheers

brett

trueblue
14-11-2009, 07:44 AM
welcome to the boating world of spending money...............

Noiseworks
18-11-2009, 09:24 PM
Well done on the new boat. It certainly opens up a lot of new opportunities and responsibilities. Have fun, catch fish and look after your crew.

Cheers
Noiseworks

vornpras
19-11-2009, 09:17 AM
having left out bungs at the boat ramp at weipa the choice was a sunk boat or a crock bite the bungs won and a bilge pump helps so as white pointer sad DONT FORGET THE BUNGS
VORNPRAS

Dean1
19-11-2009, 07:23 PM
Yeah its good to see you are not giving in to the bride and doing as ive trained you to do!!! Fish!!! ;D Looking forward to a whiting session and some crabbing!! Especially when the weather is sour.

Regards, Nuts.