PDA

View Full Version : does my motor charge batteries

fbawlgf
11-11-2009, 02:22 PM
hi all ive just bought a 14ft fiberglass boat for up the creeks on bad weather days.its got a 15hp toyhatsu on it 2003 model and was wondering if anyone knows if it can charge my batteries for the sounder,lights and live bait pumps.
i was thinking of putting my engel up the front to do the important job of keeping beer cold but i want to know above question so i dont kill the battery to fast.any help would be great thanks

joey_1987
11-11-2009, 02:59 PM
Under the cowl there will be some wires, these output AC current which you need to add a rectifier to so you get DC current. Then it will charge the battery, they output up to 6amps of current I believe. Shouldn't be too expensive, the rectifiers cost $5 from dick smith electronics or $3 from jaycar.
Cheers.

troy
11-11-2009, 07:16 PM
Under the cowl there will be some wires, these output AC current which you need to add a rectifier to so you get DC current. Then it will charge the battery, they output up to 6amps of current I believe. Shouldn't be too expensive, the rectifiers cost $5 from dick smith electronics or $3 from jaycar.
Cheers.
Mate if it was me in your situation i would be more concerned that your boat needs a bigger motor.
Troy

troy
11-11-2009, 07:27 PM
hi all ive just bought a 14ft fiberglass boat for up the creeks on bad weather days.its got a 15hp toyhatsu on it 2003 model and was wondering if anyone knows if it can charge my batteries for the sounder,lights and live bait pumps.
i was thinking of putting my engel up the front to do the important job of keeping beer cold but i want to know above question so i dont kill the battery to fast.any help would be great thanks
Mate i might have doubled posted here but instead of worrying about charging batteries i would be more concerned that your boat is well and truly under powered.
Troy

ashh
11-11-2009, 07:46 PM
so long as it moves and the beers cold theres no problem with the power of the boat

Jarrah Jack
11-11-2009, 11:14 PM
Good on ya Ashh. Reminds me of all those old heavy boats with those little ol motors. Still got around and many still do in some parts. Maybe one day with fuel prices and all we'll end up back there.

fbawlgf
12-11-2009, 10:23 AM
Mate i might have doubled posted here but instead of worrying about charging batteries i would be more concerned that your boat is well and truly under powered.
Troy
well buddy its better than swimming and i dont complain when im sitting at home full as a fat girls sock with mud crabs and jacks in my stomach from places bigger boat have no chance of getting to

fbawlgf
12-11-2009, 10:34 AM
Good on ya Ashh. Reminds me of all those old heavy boats with those little ol motors. Still got around and many still do in some parts. Maybe one day with fuel prices and all we'll end up back there.
mate it is not that heavy i can stand at the back and lift the boat and trailer off the ground and it moves along at about 15knots with 2x 100kg blokes in it:whip:

troy
12-11-2009, 11:00 AM
well buddy its better than swimming and i dont complain when im sitting at home full as a fat girls sock with mud crabs and jacks in my stomach from places bigger boat have no chance of getting to
I was not meaning to offend you and was only saying that i felt the boat was under powered
Just my opinion and nothing else to read into it.
If your happy with what you have then that is great.
Troy

fbawlgf
12-11-2009, 11:08 AM
I was not meaning to offend you and was only saying that i felt the boat was under powered
Just my opinion and nothing else to read into it.
If your happy with what you have then that is great.
Troy
well i have the little fiberglass one and a 7m assassin with a 250 merc on it but the way the weather has been lately the little ones been getting a hiding