PDA

View Full Version : Crazzing? of cabin windows

Robbo76
11-11-2009, 10:13 AM
Hi all,

Just want to know how to stop/prevent crazzing. I think thats what you call it, long running spider crack looking marks on the windows. I was thinking of getting the cabin windows changed, but was told if I pop them out they will never seal properly again and to just leave it.

Is there a wax or product out there that helps with this. It's from the sun, right?

I attached a pic, but you can't see it properly, wrong angle.

Thanks,
Rob

Noelm
11-11-2009, 10:21 AM
I guess you are talking about damage from the sun on perspex windows? if so, then replacement is the only answer, and keep your boat out of the sun (be pretty hard to do that huh?)

trueblue
11-11-2009, 10:29 AM
also possible from detergents etc

the bad news is that it is that is is terminal and the window must be replaced.

anything that was sealed should be able to be resealed with the right gear

Robbo76
11-11-2009, 10:32 AM
Hi Noelm, how are ya. Yeah it's a bit hard to put undercover now that the canopy is on. I'd say window has been like that for a long time before me. I thought there might be a product out there to help prevent sun damage to perspex.

Have a good one,
Rob

Roughasguts
11-11-2009, 11:03 AM
Throw some shade cloth over the boat! that be 90% U/V filter.

Cheers.

oldboot
11-11-2009, 06:11 PM
All the clear plastics will craze over time.....the better brands of plastic will last longer.

Acrillic ( that is perspex) is not as badly effected by solvents and stuff as polycarbonate.

Poly carbonate is very much stronger and is used in boats for survey but it responds very badly to solvents or oils of any type......guaranteed to craze in very short time with exposure.

new good brand acrillic should last 10 years or more without a problem ..... but its best to only touch it with clean water and a soft rag..and hose it off before you put the rag near it.

cheers