PDA

View Full Version : Glacier Bay Test Ride?

rat_catcher
11-11-2009, 08:32 AM
I am in the process of organizing a test ride in a Glacier Bay 2670 and am looking for feedback on anything specific to that model which you think I should test.

I am talking about seaworthiness here, not testing the engines, etc.

Just wondering if there is any perceived weakness you think I should see if I can live with.

I realize it might be a bit slow in flat water, but anything else to look out for as far as handling goes?

Noelm
11-11-2009, 08:40 AM
if it is windy and there is some decent chop, take it for a spin with the sea comming from a stern quarter, and fool about with the trim, this is the angle that requires proper use of the trim, so if you use it trimmed all over the place it just may show up some sort of excitement (maybe)

julian1
11-11-2009, 08:52 AM
i still think the Glacier Bay is a totally different style of boat compared to the Noosacat/Kevlacat that you looking at as well. One is an all rounder/family happy boat where the other are semi commercial hardcore fishing machines. however it will be interesting to see how the hulls differ in regard to performance etc. There is a good test on the seamedia website which is usually pretty honest

Finnatical
11-11-2009, 11:57 AM
Worth running it into a headsea as most boats don't like that and in particular at trolling speed to see how badly it tunnel slaps. Beam on will also be interesting to see how much it 'walks'.

Keen to hear your thoughts once you have had a ride.

Chimo
11-11-2009, 05:21 PM
Check it on a beam sea too.

Cheers
Chimo
A summary: A Glacier Bay 26 foot Catamaran was found capsized after being missing for over 24 hours off MURRELLS INLET, S.C. The captain was still missing, but 6 passangers were rescued. It is felt that the captain had a cardiac event during the night and may have died. The boat was on a fishing charter, they were comming back in, with full fish coolers and in 4 foot seas. Apparently the boat hit a wave, the people and coolers shifted (breaking lashings) and the boat capsized. A search was started the day before they were found, and continued thru the night--the victums could see the flares and lights from the searchers.

There is a history of some cats being difficult to handle in certain beam sea conditions. If the skipper had a personal EPRIB and hand held submersiable VHF there is a chance they would have been rescued in short order. There was no life raft--one might have also saved them.

Apparently there is no requirement for a "six pac" boat to have a life raft or EPRIB (?).
This is a tragedy,

We have a different brand of cat this size on order,but we feel that its handling is better in beam seas. However we do carry on our persons, Personal locator beacons and submersiable VHF radios--plus some form of inflatable. There have been a number of incidences of loss of life noted on this forum during the last year, where a EPRIB and/or a submersable VHF would have made a difference or saved a life!

Bob Austin

rat_catcher
14-11-2009, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the ideas. Yes into a head-sea was something I was already keen to test, but wasn't thinking about the stern quarter sea. I will add it to the list.

I have been down at the Broker's office today 'chatting' about the boat and giving it another once over and I am now getting closer to getting it on the water for the test.

The Broker reckons once I ride on the boat I will buy it on the spot! Yes I know, I know...Brokers like to BS....but he has sold a lot of these things being the local dealer and had done a lot of sea miles in them so I think he does know the boat reasonably well.

Of course it might not be my cup of tea, but that is what the test ride is for.

cormorant
14-11-2009, 10:12 PM
Try and get all the fat bodies as far forward as you can and see what weight forward does and whether it will respond to trim.

If it is fitted with larger motors than you will buy ( usual salesman trick) so may perform better than what you end upwith. Underpowerd cats are dogs

As the salesman what are the flaws with the boat ( if he says no - he is full of it) Get him to demonstrate the flaws

Will it plane on one motor???

Misting motors in swell from tunnel or from hull strakes?

Call a interstate dealer and ask what is good and bad about em.

Tight turn with power up on outside motor and see how much it leans ( detemins if there is enough hull buoyancy for boat on one hull or if it is just relying on planing strakes. Tell him to do it so if it goes bad you arent at the helm. Do at low and moderate speed.

Do same with inside motor at 1500 more rpm than outside andit should stay pretty flat - if it doesn't ???

Are GB still doing the engine mounting where they don't have them vertical . If so the toe in and aout is very important , trim will be important

How hard in shitty conditions to get to anchor and what have you got to hang onto while getting there and what to step on on the way back.

Speed on plane then then stop- Water over the back - motors drowned?

Back down like you are chasing a marlin - scuppers work? Motors above water - back it into a swell.

Lovey80
15-11-2009, 03:12 PM
Cormorant the boat wont plane on 2 engines its a Displacement style cat.

Cheers

Chris

surveyor
15-11-2009, 03:41 PM
hi
must be some good money in rats.
Lucky boy have a read of the F&B magazines or on their seamedia website alos email the author they have done a few tests and gave them glowing reports ,i understand that as displacement hulls they are quite different to our cats i guess youll soon find out
good luck

MyWay
15-11-2009, 10:54 PM
get someone to walk from side to side when is boat on plain and at trolling speed too

myway

Noelm
16-11-2009, 07:50 AM
walking from side to side will make almost bugger all difference, it is a Cat afterall.

rat_catcher
18-11-2009, 11:48 AM
Yes the Glacier Bay is a displacement hull so it will not plane, but lots of good stuff there cormorant. Thanks.

rat_catcher
18-11-2009, 11:50 AM
hi
Lucky boy have a read of the F&B magazines or on their seamedia website alos email the author they have done a few tests and gave them glowing reports ,i understand that as displacement hulls they are quite different to our cats i guess youll soon find out
good luck
Yes I am a long term subscriber to F&B and have corresponded with Peter Webster on a number of occasions and have read all of their Glacier Bay articles. He did give them a good wrap.

rat_catcher
18-11-2009, 11:53 AM
i seem to always catch rats as in small fish, not the rodent type! ;D

Luke G
18-11-2009, 12:13 PM
I've been in a 2680,

I wasn't that impressed, it sucks if you troll allot as it thuds and blows water over the front on a sloppy day. They get a good roll up when its side on too.

julian1
18-11-2009, 04:06 PM
I've been in a 2680,

I wasn't that impressed, it sucks if you troll allot as it thuds and blows water over the front on a sloppy day. They get a good roll up when its side on too.

Luke - what other cats can you compare it too ?

rat_catcher
19-11-2009, 12:12 PM
I will be sure to post my thoughts back to this thread once I get this organized, but it will probably be a few more weeks yet. Dealing with some work things at the moment, so boating has to take a back seat.....unfortunately!

Snapperscott
12-04-2012, 07:05 PM
Rat Catcher, what was the outcome of your test drive. Im also very interested in what the GB can do. Where did you test drive?

hilta1
12-04-2012, 09:17 PM
Are you looking at new or secondhand cats?

Horse
12-04-2012, 09:25 PM
Check out
http://www.thehulltruth.com/

And do a bit of a search. I like the look of them and would probably go for one over the Aussie style cats in the bigger sizes. They are not better, just different in the way they work

rat_catcher
15-04-2012, 08:41 PM
Rat Catcher, what was the outcome of your test drive. Im also very interested in what the GB can do. Where did you test drive?

I was living in San Francisco for work, but am now back in Australia. Unfortunately didn't end up getting the test as the boat sold before I could make the time.