PDA

View Full Version : 40hp Yamaha 2 stroke or 4 stroke?

geoffmck
10-11-2009, 09:58 PM
I am buying a Brooker Safari and am planning to fit a 40hp 2 stroke Yamaha bought from my local dealer in Victoria......but I am buying the boat in Sydney and driving up to collect it myself to save around $900 in freight.

I have a company vehicle so fuel is free, which makes the trip worthwile.

I am keen to buy the motor locally but am wondering if the same types of savings on freight can be made with motors? E.g. a 40hp Yamaha in Victoria is over $8,000 fitted (tiller steer, electric start, PTT) which is outside my price range, hence the 2stroke option, but what is the same motor worth in Sydney.

Will the motor I buy locally be shipped from Sydney and therefore incur freight costs or are they imported into Melbourne?

I am interested in any opinions/advice. Thanks.

oldboot
10-11-2009, 10:57 PM
I costed a yamaha 2 stroke V a 4 stroke in 60Hp remote steer...and there was ony a coule of hundred difference....check it out.

cheers

geoffmck
11-11-2009, 05:43 AM
I costed a yamaha 2 stroke V a 4 stroke in 60Hp remote steer...and there was ony a coule of hundred difference....check it out.

cheers

Thanks for the reply.
I did get prices in vic for $6,500 2 stroke and $8,000 4 stroke both fitted, same dealer. That's why I am asking for interstate prices on the 4 stroke. It just seeems to great a difference.

The 2 stroke is the 40VWHTOL with all the bells and whistles.

Blackened
11-11-2009, 06:14 AM
G'day

Do the ring around. then compare notes.

Dave

Noelm
11-11-2009, 07:47 AM
I would be thinking that there is not a lot of fitting charges applied to a tiller steer, so see how much you can get them down on that (maybe even free)

andoland
11-11-2009, 04:21 PM
geoffmck,

As you know from recent posts I have the same boat and I have the Yamaha 40hp 2 stroke. It is a heavy motor and the back of this boat does sit low. Before I looked further into the 4 stroke I would look at the weights and see how much heavier the 4 stroke is.

Mine is tiller steer, manual start and hydrotilt. The same motor with electric start and PTT will be heavier again so there might not be much difference in weight between it and the 4 stroke but work checking out first I reckon.

funkngroovy
11-11-2009, 04:26 PM
Just been hunting for a yammy today. Best prices were from Doug at Brisbane Yamaha ph 07 38881727. No affiliation whatsoever.

I am looking at 2 strokes and they seem to go well below RRP. not sure about the freight on that tho' from up here.

bassfan
11-11-2009, 07:44 PM
I am buying a Brooker Safari and am planning to fit a 40hp 2 stroke Yamaha bought from my local dealer in Victoria......but I am buying the boat in Sydney and driving up to collect it myself to save around $900 in freight.

I have a company vehicle so fuel is free, which makes the trip worthwile.

I am keen to buy the motor locally but am wondering if the same types of savings on freight can be made with motors? E.g. a 40hp Yamaha in Victoria is over $8,000 fitted (tiller steer, electric start, PTT) which is outside my price range, hence the 2stroke option, but what is the same motor worth in Sydney.

Will the motor I buy locally be shipped from Sydney and therefore incur freight costs or are they imported into Melbourne?

I am interested in any opinions/advice. Thanks.
Try Marine Tune on the Gold Coast. They will apparently better any price & are Yamaha dealers. Another dealer close to them went broke last year because they couldn't compete with their prices.

Noelm
12-11-2009, 08:05 AM
do they still offer the best price now that the competition has been forced to close?

geoffmck
05-12-2009, 04:51 AM
I ended up sticking with the original plan and ordered the 2 stroke Yammie from my local dealer. $6,440 fitted. She is booked in for fitting on Tuesday.

In the end, I could not justify the extra $1,500 plus for a 4 stroke motor. I won't be using the boat every day, or travvelling long distances on a regular basis, or doing any trolling so it was an easy decision in the end.

I can understand the reasoning a bit when you go up in horse power (fuel savings) but in the lower hp range the advantages are much smaller.

I'll post up some info on performance once I get a few hours up.

foxx510
05-12-2009, 07:32 AM
The 40 would have been too heavy anyway, in my opinion.

andoland
06-12-2009, 08:01 PM
I don't have any performance figures for mine but I can happily tow two teenagers on kneeboards and have had the boat loaded up with camping gear and the family and the 40hp was sweet.