PDA

View Full Version : TABS boats?

breakthelines
10-11-2009, 01:03 PM
Just wondering if people can give me an idea of what they are like and if people have any recommendations?

Looking at the 4.6m Sportfisher.

Cheers, Break

krazyfisher
10-11-2009, 01:46 PM
I have been in a 610 and it was wet and bone jaring.
but very solid

Noelm
10-11-2009, 01:54 PM
I am sure it would not be too different to any other similar boat from any number of manufacturers.

maxi
10-11-2009, 10:00 PM
Hi,

I just sold a fisher platey that was an awesome boat. Because I had it built I compared several boats to it and found that the Tabs had average welding and verry basic hull design, I can remember looking along the planning strakes and noticeing that the size remained roughly the same where the fisher flares out.

In my opinion the Fisher would leave the Tabs for dead in all areas, if you can afford a Fisher you wont be disapointed.

Cheers, Greg.

Mindi
11-11-2009, 03:23 PM
I have a 4.85 Tabs/Seascape CC...it is branded Seascape but plate construction before they made Seascapes pressed in 2006/7... and I love it. Solid as a rock and rides just like all 4.8M tinnies...hard when pushed in wrong conditions but excellent in good water. Very solid hull... welded stringered bottom...no floating pressed panels. Detail fit and finish just OK also welding as someone said.....but structure excellent. Very happy with it. I bought it off a guy who only fished the Barwon Banks in it...too far out for me in 4.8M but the boat is up to it. No comparison to the majority of pressed tinnies at the size..chalk and cheese.

Planing strakes...? yeah well thats what folds in a pressed floating bottom to give it rigidity are normally called...a proper plate construction doesnt have any...regardless of where they point. They have very little planing function...doubt if you could measure the amount of lift they generate...but a significant selling point....and a stiffening role when needed due to insufficient structural members inside the bilge or on a floating bottom design.....IMHO

Truk
11-11-2009, 07:45 PM
I've got a Territory Pro 545 side console thats used mainly offshore, it can be a bit wet at times but has handled everything I have thrown at it so far.

samson
11-11-2009, 08:53 PM
owned one for a few years now strong boats but not real good in a following sea but they are only a pull up plate boat and not as good as a true plate in constuction but are cheaper priced for that reason but how strong do you need a boat i'm commercial and can't kill mine it's only fault is in a following sea.

maxi
11-11-2009, 10:08 PM
You are probably right Sampson, they probably do the job the majority of the time and you pay more for quality, planning strakes work really well in a following sea as they help stop the boat falling over off the top of a swell which is common in large plate boats.

Greg

Mindi
12-11-2009, 07:21 AM
owned one for a few years now strong boats but not real good in a following sea but they are only a pull up plate boat and not as good as a true plate in constuction but are cheaper priced for that reason but how strong do you need a boat i'm commercial and can't kill mine it's only fault is in a following sea.

I agree Sampson totally.... mine is extremely beamy for its length and this is great for fishing but the lack of waterline length for it's width does make it less steady in a following sea...couldnt agree more.

timddo
12-11-2009, 08:42 AM
I have the 5.45 version Ocean series. Ride is ordinary but with trim Tabs - it is awesome. All open boats are wet - regardless of what everyone says.

The boat is built tuff, beamy and deadrise is 16 degree's. While a bar crusher has 18 degrees. The price is very affordable. As for Bone jarring- well, It all depends on the driver. Push a glass boat over it's conformt zone and it's the same.

bennyboy
12-11-2009, 09:10 AM
It is important to be aware that the company is under External Administration

Extracted from ASIC's database at AEST 10:08:29 on 12/11/2009NameTABS BOATS PTY LTDACN115 403 499TypeAustralian Proprietary Company, Limited By SharesRegistration Date21/07/2005Next Review Date21/07/2010Status** UNDER EXTERNAL ADMINISTRATION and/or CONTROLLER APPOINTED **Locality of Registered OfficeBrisbane QLD 4000JurisdictionAustralian Securities & Investments Commission

Wahoo
12-11-2009, 01:33 PM
planning strakes work really well in a following sea as they help stop the boat falling over off the top of a swell which is common in large plate boats.

Greg

To right they do, would never have another plate boat with out them

Daz

breakthelines
12-11-2009, 05:21 PM
It is important to be aware that the company is under External Administration

Extracted from ASIC's database at AEST 10:08:29 on 12/11/2009NameTABS BOATS PTY LTDACN115 403 499TypeAustralian Proprietary Company, Limited By SharesRegistration Date21/07/2005Next Review Date21/07/2010Status** UNDER EXTERNAL ADMINISTRATION and/or CONTROLLER APPOINTED **Locality of Registered OfficeBrisbane QLD 4000JurisdictionAustralian Securities & Investments Commission

I think i'll go with the Blue Fin Predator then. Cheers.

Mindi
13-11-2009, 09:55 PM
I think i'll go with the Blue Fin Predator then. Cheers.

Hmmmm...well its only my opinion but I would see that as a step down.

tin can marlin
14-11-2009, 08:19 PM
Stay away a friend of mine has got one and it was going great then it got a small hair crack and tabs did not wan to know they said it was due to the way the boat had been driven bit of a joke as my freiend is a pussy cat.

Mudlicker
15-11-2009, 03:12 PM
I have had my TABS territory for 6 years now and have found it to be outstanding in all of the types of fishing i have used it for , quite a stable platform , rides as well as any other plate alloy boat i have been in and is built tough .i have towed it along thousands of km of dirt road and never had an issue with cracking . not sure how you would crack it in the water . welding is a sgood as any other plate boat i have seen .Always curious as to what welding Quals some of the arm chair experts have out there ??. I f you are going to bu ythe blue fin I have also had some mates that have owned these hulls and have found them to be reliable and robust as well , usually priced very keenly as well . had a mate that used his for mainly reef work off Ingham and never had an issue with it . Seajay also make a reasonable sort of hull in that size as well , not a bad option for a pressed hull . if you want the ultimate plate hull around i would give GS marine a call in Darwin , there hulls look indestructable and have heard good reports about there ride and handling . Hope this helps .

pete::)

lurcho
15-11-2009, 08:20 PM
I have ordered my Territory Pro and expect delivery within the next week or so. After reading your post I was a little concerned and investigated futher into the companies financial status and learned that the company TABS had taken steps to reduce operational costs (overheads) and entered into a Deed of Company arrangement, not to be confused with forced administration. This allows the company to continue trading and strengthen their position during the current financial climate (GFC) I believe their product is great value for money and most comments are favorable and there built like brick $#@! houses. People shouldn’t forget either, TABS plate boats offer one of the largest warrantee’s in the country 5 years. Are you better off with a boat with a 2 year warrantee or a five year. Anyway this is my opinion and others are entitled to theirs but i wouldn't dismiss a TABS altogether.. See photo my boats in the foreground and can't wait for delivery.

bigjimg
15-11-2009, 08:32 PM
I looked over the 5.2 and 5.8 size ocean series and they looked the goods.Had lots of extras quoted into the final price and would have gone with the 5.8 but a Signature caught my eye and the rest is history.I reckon they are pretty good at the end of the day go with what you think is going to suit you.And don't rush into it,take your time cross the T's and dot the I's.Jim

GAD
16-11-2009, 02:16 PM
I have a Tabs 5m bowrider and I go out to the shelf fishing if the weather is right ,not the softest ride but been in a lot worse from some big brand names , solid and I have never felt unsafe in her , and I have been caught out in a 50+ squall ,wet but , got me home and since then hard to convince me it ain't a good boat .

Greg

Greg P
16-11-2009, 04:33 PM
People shouldn’t forget either, TABS plate boats offer one of the largest warrantee’s in the country 5 years. Are you better off with a boat with a 2 year warrantee or a five year.

Not saying Tabs are about to go under but a 5 year warranty is useless if a company gets wound up or even shall we say aggressively acquired :-X:-X
These days it means jack sprat !

vertico
16-11-2009, 04:36 PM
yerh true greg but gives some peace of mind...

breakthelines
17-11-2009, 11:37 AM
Hmmmm...well its only my opinion but I would see that as a step down.

Maybe, but with a budget of around $28K, they are a bit pricey for my requirements and the fact they are close to receivership isn't a good thing.

breakthelines
17-11-2009, 11:39 AM
I have ordered my Territory Pro and expect delivery within the next week or so. After reading your post I was a little concerned and investigated futher into the companies financial status and learned that the company TABS had taken steps to reduce operational costs (overheads) and entered into a Deed of Company arrangement, not to be confused with forced administration. This allows the company to continue trading and strengthen their position during the current financial climate (GFC) I believe their product is great value for money and most comments are favorable and there built like brick $#@! houses. People shouldn’t forget either, TABS plate boats offer one of the largest warrantee’s in the country 5 years. Are you better off with a boat with a 2 year warrantee or a five year. Anyway this is my opinion and others are entitled to theirs but i wouldn't dismiss a TABS altogether.. See photo my boats in the foreground and can't wait for delivery.

Boat looks great. Who told you about their financial position? Cause if it was TABS themselves a wouldn't take that on face value. Weather it was to reduce overheads or not, they are only one step away from receivership and going under.

Noelm
17-11-2009, 02:03 PM
planning strakes work really well in a following sea as they help stop the boat falling over off the top of a swell which is common in large plate boats.

Greg
not too sure about falling off waves and stuff, please explain exactly how a planing strake can stop you falling off a wave, I reckon if you are falling off any waves, then having planing strakes or not is the least of your worries!