PDA

View Full Version : Show me your rod racks.

turtle78
10-11-2009, 12:06 PM
Have recently purchased a 4.5m Catcher and am looking for ideas to fit out with some vertical rod racks on sides and perhaps with a shelf at bottom for extra storage, so far have done sounder/gps, bilge pump, nav lights and fixed battery box and switch panel so now wanting to sort out interior, all ideas welcome. Am not sure if i'll build myself or can i buy some sought of set up to install. Have searched net but am struggling to find what i'm after.

White Pointer
11-11-2009, 09:43 PM
G'day,

I made a search and decided it was a DIY job. Mine is under roof in a much bigger boat than yours but something like this would work just as well along a hull from floor to gunwale. The material is plastic - the same thing they line cutting boards with.

Regards,

White Pointer

turtle78
12-11-2009, 02:08 PM
Thanks, White Pointer, just the sought of ideas i was after, so you got the material and shaped yourself??

deckie
12-11-2009, 05:06 PM
Horizontal racks can be tricky to position on smaller boats so neither end rattles on the hull but the vertical ones arnt difficult at all. Easy enough to make up yourslef with tubing of any description if u cant find exactly what u want on the market at a decet price. Check out Ebay also coz there's hundreds of them at hundreds of places.
Different butts and reel types mean u are often better to make them yourself and cut the material to keep the reels and rods all facing the same way and not twisting about so the lines tangle. Often the tubing is too large for light rod butts and often the only way to get a snug fit is doing it yourself for the gear YOU normally carry.
Cheers

Bowser
12-11-2009, 05:55 PM
On that particular boat they are easy peasy, just get some poly pipe mounting brackets and a set of horizontal rod racks. The kind made from plastic with a firm foam insert that holds the rods. You mount that a bit over halfway up the boat onto a rib and then the pipe holders are mounted bake on the seat ribs, offset so there is one on one rib and 2 on the other. There the rods will be out of the road of any activity but easy to grab when needed.

White Pointer
13-11-2009, 08:42 PM
Thanks, White Pointer, just the sought of ideas i was after, so you got the material and shaped yourself??

G'day,

Yes. I bought the plastic sheet from a place in West End in Brisbane (Recycled Garbage, I think).

I made the big holes with a hole saw, the smaller holes with a 3/8 drill and joined the dots with a jigsaw.

I can't remember the drill size for the bungee cord but it was around 3.5mm. The bungee cord came from the local camping and disposals store in Kippa Ring. The beads on the bungee to grip and secure the rods came from the bead shop in the Myer Centre in Brisbane.

All up material cost was about $25. The first prototype took about 6 hours with carefull sizing to accommodate everything up to heavy game rods. The other three copies about the same.

We are having fun!

Regards,

White Pointer