PDA

View Full Version : Anchor rope twists

ShaneC
10-11-2009, 06:37 AM
Hi all,

I run my anchor rope through a Lewmar winch and of late I have started to notice the rope is becoming increasingly twisted which from time to time creates a knot or a tangle as the anchor is deployed or retrieved through the winch. Generally it happens at the worst possible time and can be quite a pain in the arse to untangle. I am contemplating buying new rope, but as I do go fishing a bit it will only be a matter of time before the problem arises again.

I am thinking of ways to get the twists out of the rope. Has anyone ever run a rope out from behind a boat (same as you do for twisted fishing line) and had success?? Thats the only way I can think of that might work, does anyone know of another way??

Cheers,

Shane

Jarrah Jack
10-11-2009, 07:14 AM
Don't know how to take the twists out but ... Have you got a good turn buckle between anchor and line /chain? If not get one, about $22, and you should not get any more twists.

Teabag73
10-11-2009, 07:31 AM
To take the twists out of the rope, tow it behind you boat for a little while with the rope all the way out. It works the same with fishing line. I also have a large stainless swivel (from Whitworths) at the end of the chain to assist in preventing twist. Seems to work fine....

PS: Just the anchor rope, take off the anchor and chain........

ShaneC
10-11-2009, 10:53 AM
Thanks guys,

Jarrah, in answer to your question I dont have a turnbuckle on my rope, the rope is spliced straight to the chain to make it thin enough to go through the winch. There is not a real lot of room for it to go through so anything that goes on the set needs to be as close as the thickness of the chain as possible (if you know what I mean).

Cheers Teabag, I thought it might work but was not 100% sure. How do you attach the swivel you speak of to the chain? I take it you have successfully got the twists out of a rope the way we are talking about mate, as I dont particularly want to be ginning around with 200m of rope if I am not a pretty good chance of having a win (just asking).

Thanks again

Shane

Chimo
10-11-2009, 11:06 AM
Shane

Why don't you insert the turnbuckle between the anchor and the chain.

I doubt anyone would suggest you try and pass a turnbuckle thru a winch!

Cheers
Chimo

bj
10-11-2009, 11:22 AM
Mate I have the same winch brand name as you a vertical winch & have never had a problem. As said before the rope is spliced directly to the chain,I was advised to use only nylon rope. I have been using it for around 6 years on two different boats no problems.

ShaneC
10-11-2009, 11:46 AM
Chimo,

Cheers mate!! Now I get it..... I have moments of dumbness.

BJ, I have nylon rope on mine too mate, and I always keep the rope tight when retrieving etc, I could be doing something wrong but I dont know what. Maybe I am just lucky??

Teabag73
10-11-2009, 12:34 PM
Thanks guys,

Jarrah, in answer to your question I dont have a turnbuckle on my rope, the rope is spliced straight to the chain to make it thin enough to go through the winch. There is not a real lot of room for it to go through so anything that goes on the set needs to be as close as the thickness of the chain as possible (if you know what I mean).

Cheers Teabag, I thought it might work but was not 100% sure. How do you attach the swivel you speak of to the chain? I take it you have successfully got the twists out of a rope the way we are talking about mate, as I dont particularly want to be ginning around with 200m of rope if I am not a pretty good chance of having a win (just asking).

Thanks again

Shane

I use one of these and works a treat......I find that when pulling up a SARCA (with Buoy) it can really twist the rope so this swivel helps stop that....

http://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=148&item=597&intAbsolutePage=1

Hope this helps.....

gofishin
10-11-2009, 12:40 PM
Hi Shane,
The old plough is a good anchor, but does have a tendency to twist rope. As others have suggested, you need an anchor swivel. Some pics of different types available at Whitworths. From memory you have a CC so we probably have the same Lewmar winch & 12mm Nylon rope.

I am using the third type of swivel as attached (short & strong), and have found it really good. I fitted it in between the 6mm short-link chain and a few links of std 8mm, just to get it off the end of the anchor shank, but it would also fit directly between the anchor and the 6mm short-link. Some prefer the knuckle-swivel type (pic 2), but I don’t.
Cheers
PS. Another option - I haven’t needed to un twist in years, but in times long past found that, depending on which direction the twist was in the first place, pulling the ‘rope only’ behind wouldn’t get it all out as the natural lay of the rope splines would make the rope want to twist, or more-so prevent it from fully untwisting. You can also let the chain & rope out (no anchor) while on the drift (assuming it is deep enough) and this would normally get all the twist out, regardless of twist direction (a trick from my old man when we used to anchor in 600ft plus).

ozbee
10-11-2009, 04:06 PM
i have the same set up as you and also have a swivel at the anchor . i fairly abuse my rope tearing of reef all the time . the worst thing you can do is unravel it as i guess you will notice the rope at the boat end is fairly lose twisted ,.

reverse the rope it will become good again. in time you will have to reverse it again my rope is over 300 feet long and it does exactly what your saying.

attach a swivel both ends so no rigging required.

ShaneC
10-11-2009, 04:16 PM
Cheers guys, once again some great info. I think I will do a combo of all of these. I will reverse the rope as Ozbee says (I generally only anchor in up to 60m so this makes sense) and I will duck by Whitworths on my way home and pick up a swivel. I do use a SARCA a bit when anchoring, maybe thats the hassle.

Thanks very much for your input, I will let you know how I go.

Cheers,

Shane

ozbee
10-11-2009, 04:33 PM
mine twists no matter what anchor . the rope will lay properly again . if you watch it coming threw the winch you can see the slight turn the rope does under load and it fights laying properly. do swivel both ends otherwise splicing each reversal is a pain.

oldboot
10-11-2009, 11:04 PM
You might find if you let the rope dangle with the anchor on the end in clam water the twists will come out.

and when retreeving don't be so keen to rip it in all in one go.... give it time to untwist.

cheers