PDA

View Full Version : Insurance :Agreed Cover for Boats etc over 10 years old

PeterInSA
09-11-2009, 03:43 PM
My 16ft 1/2 Cabin boat and trailer are early 80's with Blue Band 85HP Merc and Blue Band 4 Hp Merc. Have probably used the boat 50 times during its life and it looks like new having been under cover when not in use. The trailer even thou been under cover and washed with tap water after a dip in the sea does not look new but no signs of rust excelt for axle.

Have no problem with the Insurance Co. re insured it 4 years ago after 15 or so years not insured. Son thinks I should get the boat/trailer/motors assessed because if its stolen insurance may not pay the $6,500 that I have it covered for. (Have not insured the Fish Finder GPS paid $2500).

The insurance company have not asked for a check, the Outboard service agent agrees the boat is worth more, but I am happy with $6,500. he suggested if I am happy with the insured figure leave things as they are.

Your Thoughts

Peter

thatsakeeper
09-11-2009, 04:45 PM
I am also looking into insurance, Ive purchased a 5.2m Pride Charger 1983 in great condition with a 1989 115hp in-line 6cyl supposedly rebuily 4 yrs ago (if only all the sellers stopped losing their reciepts).
During a trailer incident on holidays the nearest available to buy to get his boat home was a dual axle trailer. Solo retreiving for me is a breeze.
I'm told the trailer is nearly worth 3 grand on its own and the lot was purchased for $6800. What would i insure it for all factors considered or would it have to be assessed.

two up
09-11-2009, 04:50 PM
Get a qualified insurance assessor to have a look. I went through this process a couple of years ago when I did major work to my boat , went from the agreed value of 28,000 to 54,000.