PDA

View Full Version : Which mirage model?

whippy07
08-11-2009, 01:40 PM
Hello again. Firstly thanks for the advice following my last post. As a result I now wish to purchase one of the hobie mirage models. Most of my fishing and kayaking is in the Macquarie and Darling rivers in NSW.

As these can be very snaggy at times I will need to paddle. I've read that some mirage models can be a bit hard to paddle. I see the options being the sport, outback or revolution. Would anyone have any advice regarding which model would be best in my situation.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Bill

shrunken pojie
08-11-2009, 03:59 PM
Bill

Having had a bit of a look at the hobies before buying my tinnie, I would recommend the outback fishing version. Set up purely for fishing. Can be a little unwieldy to paddle a long way but not to bad it you are just getting clear of a snag. Being the widest, they are the most stable of the range.

Just my two cents worth anyway.

Have fun choosing and fishing!

Phill

nufin_flash
08-11-2009, 10:22 PM
your only realy choice is between the outback or sport, the revo is the easiest to paddle but also the longest, perfect for offshore work or travelling long distance.not so flash for working the small tight places.

most of my estuary fishing is done from an outback, very stable and handy regarding room for storage, paddling isnt the best though, again can be tricky in tight places based on its width. have a test paddle between the sport and outback, generally most ppl go with the outbac k

Gigantor
11-11-2009, 10:39 AM
Whippy,

Comments so far are on the mark. Outback's are wide and make paddling long distances difficult. Sports are small, light and easy to paddle. Revo's are narrow but cut through the water nicely but have less storage around the cockpit.

If your intended fishing territory requires carrying long distances to the water or carrying over rapids to the next pool, then Sports is the way to go. If you don't need to worry about this, then look at the Outback. Outback's are very stable and hold heaps of fishing gear.

I've had Outback for over 3 years now and will never get rid of it. I had an Adventure until last year as well - but it was way too long and difficult to lift on & off the car. But it did cut through the water nicely though and could carry lots of gear in the hull (for camping trips). I recently used the Outback on the upper Tweed River near Uki, NSW and it was perfect for casting to the banks for wild bass.

Cheers,

Pete

whippy07
13-11-2009, 12:22 PM
Thanks guys, AS the rivers are snaggy and paddling will often be required I'll probably look at the Sport.

Thanks again

MarkLong
15-11-2009, 07:06 PM
mate sport is terrible to paddle.

Only good one to paddle is Revo or adventure. Revo however is still light enough to handle on your own.