PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations please

Bradzee
08-11-2009, 11:33 AM
I'm looking at buying a second hand boat, for fishing in saltwater rivers/bays in Tassie. I have two boys, 10 & 6. Any suggestions for unsder $5000?

Don't care if alum or f'glass. Do you think a half cab is best for the kids?, re weather ect.

Thanks.

bugman
08-11-2009, 12:02 PM
brad,

I've just been through this excercise with a relly in Launceston recently.

I've got to say - compared to SE QLD the price of boats in Tassie is quite high for what you get.

For around that money there will be a lot of old tinnies and I mean old around 20 year stuff with motors of similar vintage.

You may also be able to pick up a smallish 14-15 foot half cabin fibreglass boat which is probable better to suit your needs but again - the motor on a boat of that vintage is likely to be quite old.

I found in my observations - that you were up around 15K was giving me a reliable 15footish with a modern motor boat package in tassie.

But if you know what you're doing with older motors and not travelling too far - which you don't often have to do down there - you may pick something up.

Brett

Bradzee
08-11-2009, 12:13 PM
Thanks Brett:

I have my eye on a stessl 4.3m tinnie with a 2002 15HP Merc. All only ever been used in freshwater, what do you reckon? Motor is in excellent cond and that is my main concern.

I agree with you about the price comparison, even thought about purchsaing one from up north and bringing it back to Tassie!!! But I think if I look hard and long enough the right one will come up??

Cheers, Brad.

Jarrah Jack
08-11-2009, 06:15 PM
With your weather the half cab will be a good bet.

Be carefull of some freshwater motors in Tassie as some of the waters on the west coast are very acidic and will set in corrosion very quickly. I just brought a freshwater motor from Tassie and its ok.

There is a Tassie fishing forum that may be able to help. Also worth considering the Melb/ferry option as you said.

bugman
08-11-2009, 09:11 PM
Brad,

I was down there last week and fished out of a small 13 foot forward control tinny with an older style 15 merc on the back. We fished Woods Lake, Arthurs and Huntsman. We brained the fish and the boat did everything it was meant to do and that was troll lures around at low speed. If you wanted to cast or even anchor and bait fish you would struggle (we had three in the boat).

That size boat you were talking about is very functional for fishing in good conditions but like everything it gets rough down there and those boats aren't meant for it.

Get the motor checked out by someone independently and if it all stacks up it could be perfect for you and the boys to ge stuck into some good lake fishing or even estuary fishing in the right location.

where are you?

Brett