PDA

View Full Version : mobile outboard mech?

Nico.d.R
08-11-2009, 08:30 AM
Anybody got the number off the mobile mech that puts fliers on cars at deep water bend ? I snapped my pull starter on friday night so im out off action till its fixed , so i need it fixed asap and might get a service at the same time any ideas on the price i will be looking at for a service on a 25hp johno and a replacement starter cord ?

cheers nico

shrunken pojie
08-11-2009, 12:49 PM
Hi Nico,

I don't have the number from those fliers but I got my boat serviced by Wade Wiemers. He is based out at Clontarf and does house calls. Good service. I will get his number up when I get home.

Service on my 40hp yamaha was about $350.

Phill

Nico.d.R
08-11-2009, 04:47 PM
thanks phill , wags sent me his number already , sounds like a good bloke , im going to give him a ring tommorow .
also thanks bluefin for the pm

cheers nico

Nico.d.R
09-11-2009, 07:23 PM
thanks for that number wags and phill i rang him today and he quoted $370 for a full service and replace the spring and pull starter and tune up . I thought it would have cost a lot more than that .

cheers nico

Didley
09-11-2009, 08:43 PM
He did my boat ages ago, very happy, I should book 4 a service soon too

Nico.d.R
19-11-2009, 04:26 PM
good news and bad news , the good news is wade is a great mechanic and a decent bloke the bad news s my outboard is pretty much screwed , the bottom cylinder is nearly 25psi lower compresion than the top piston which isnt to good and the bores are wearing aswell , you can see it when the plugs are out . for a full rebuild and new water pump/housing and cup and new rubbers im looking at between $1000 and $1500 :( . I dont know if i should waste the money on fixing it or just save and be off the water longer to buy a newy .

cheers nico

frankgrimes
19-11-2009, 04:43 PM
You've answered your own question imo....save and get the newy.

Mick

Nico.d.R
19-11-2009, 05:39 PM
yeah i think thats the plan mick , i just hope this motor lasts till i get the cash together , ill have to fish close to the ramp so i can use the electric to get back wen it dies.

cheers nico

2iar
19-11-2009, 06:30 PM
I reckon you're doing the right thing Nico.

I once spent $900 "repairing" a 9.9. It was the worst investment I ever made and was never right - the second worst was buying the mongrel for $600 in the first place.

The poor man pays twice, as they say.

Good luck,
Mike

Jarrah Jack
19-11-2009, 08:08 PM
Its just the way I am but I'd be looking for a good used motor if I didn't have the money for a newie.

As you know a good mechanic you could discuss it with him and get him to check the motor out.

Have a look on ebay, the trading post, this site and ring around local dealers as they may have something that would suit you. I just brought a trade in from a dealer and got a warranty from him as well.

Cheers

Nico.d.R
19-11-2009, 11:08 PM
i thought about second hand jack but i bought this motor second hand (bargan $600) over 2 years ago , to get me on the water till i could buy a new 1 , i guess its time to stop spending money on fishing gear for a while and start doing as much over time as possible .
anybody know if its worth trying to sell for parts or to someone that wants to rebuild it ?

cheer nico

BrandonH
20-11-2009, 10:08 AM
Sorry to hear mate:( I think your doing the right thing buying a new one too. This way you will be able to get exactly what your after.

As I am sure you know there is always a spot for you and jeremy on my boat mate;)
I can always use someone who is good with a landing net for my jacks :P LOL

cheers
Brandon...