PDA

View Full Version : 680 Patriot Or 685 Cruise Craft

littlemac
07-11-2009, 12:31 AM
i thought i would throw this out their.

what do people think is better a 680 HH Patriot or 685 Cruise Craft ???

food for thought

cheers

brett

finding_time
07-11-2009, 12:49 AM
The cruisecraft will be better fitted out look a bit nicer and maybe be better built as there have been a few issues with 680HH's lately ( they have been fixed by HH straight away though)But the 680 patriot will ride heaps better in ALL sea conditions and i mean heaps better. For it's size the 685 CC is an extreamly disappointing ride imho!

Give the choice i would take the Patriot as the 685CC would annoy the hell out of me every time the wind got above 15 knots! yes i have spent time in both hulls!

Ian

ps.

Littlemac, Nice looking breeze in the other thread a mate of mine had the Warrior and i always wanted one thought it was a great boat , then i discovered cats , The next mono will be 40 feet long!

Ian

GBC
07-11-2009, 07:08 AM
Prolly need more info, like where you are, what you do now, what you envisage using the bigger boat for, and how you drive.
CC's leave the haines for dead in areas such as wiring, fitout, stability at rest etc etc.
I'll drive a 685 around all day tabbed down at 24 odd mph outside in chop - any quicker and they don't reward the driver in the slop and there's just no way to steer around the banging at higher speeds.
The 680's underwater shape is much finer and needs to be 'steered' constantly to get the best out of it, but once you've got your head around that they reward good helming with a better than average ride at a faster than average pace.
If I didn't have far to go and had a lot of time to do it, the CC might be in the mix due to it's other good qualities.
Personally I think the 680 hull is great to drive, but always costs more to run because going quick in them is just so much damn fun.

siegfried
07-11-2009, 08:14 AM
The cruisecraft will be better fitted out look a bit nicer and maybe be better built as there have been a few issues with 680HH's lately ( they have been fixed by HH straight away though)But the 680 patriot will ride heaps better in ALL sea conditions and i mean heaps better. For it's size the 685 CC is an extreamly disappointing ride imho!

Give the choice i would take the Patriot as the 685CC would annoy the hell out of me every time the wind got above 15 knots! yes i have spent time in both hulls!

Ian

ps.

Littlemac, Nice looking breeze in the other thread a mate of mine had the Warrior and i always wanted one thought it was a great boat , then i discovered cats , The next mono will be 40 feet long!

Ian Pretty well sums it up littlemac , no good looking pretty if your gunna get belted(and you will)

TimiBoy
07-11-2009, 08:16 AM
I bought the CC685 because of it's stability at rest, and more cabin space. If Mumsy wasn't happy with the boat, I wasn't getting the boat...

She has been a hard ride at times, but I've just fitted QL tabs (yes it CAN be done to a 685!) and they have made the world of difference, particularly when driving into a sea.

Cheers,

Tim

littlemac
07-11-2009, 08:55 AM
thanks guys,

i do reckon the CC is a bit better looking, i have spent some time in a patriot but not in a CC. the patriot was a brillant ride i must say

cheers

brett

gofishin
07-11-2009, 09:06 AM
...what do people think is better a 680 HH Patriot or 685 Cruise Craft ???...
Better at what???

Brett, you need to quantify your question, and then you will still get subjective opinions. There are a million compromises with boats – which ones are important to you???

There are ways to make the 685’s significantly better riding than they are in stock-standard mode, and yes, they should be sold with tabs as standard – but that’s just my opinion. Some without the knowledge of the benefits they bring will just see the extra $1500 in the overall price and count it as a negative.

Maybe a few years ago there was a similar thread, if not on ausfish on one of the other aussy forums. Do a search.
cheers
Brendon

julian1
07-11-2009, 11:14 AM
i think the 680 Patriot has tabs as standard fitment

Far side
07-11-2009, 12:00 PM
Having been in both the 685 cruise craft is a better ride much better fishing platform at rest. Have drifted beside a few haines and noticed everyone hanging on while we were just standing up fishing

TTabs on any boat will make the ride better but the skipper has a big input on how the boat performs

Benno1
07-11-2009, 12:15 PM
i cant decide...so ill take them both...will you dry dock them for me til i get back :D

Mrs Benno1
Sunny

gofishin
07-11-2009, 03:01 PM
Brett, try this
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=68263&highlight=patriot

bit old but i guess the comments are still valid. I like Bombers comment

...I would rather fish out of the outsider but get there in the haines if it was really blowing.

That being said I would love either with a 250 hp 4 stroke on the back.

Rob

skipper07
07-11-2009, 05:49 PM
I currently run a 680 patriot with a 250 yammy. I have just clicked over the 1100hr mark. I run a commercial operation using the boat and do most of fishing out from Noosa. Some things are not the best thought out especially when the boat is said to be made by fisherman for fisherman. This being said I wouldn't swap the boat as for what you pay for them (2nd Hand) and the resale you get is about as good as any of the top boats around (kevla cat, coastal cat) At rest yes they are a rolly kind of boat. Fishing in avergae conditions for 2 to 3 days means average weather most times. The best part is a good cabin which makes it good for 2 blokes. I came close to a kevla cat, but 3 days fishing sleeping up front, additional running costs and purchase price, meant the patriot won hands down. This was for me, not trying to offend anyone.

My opion only - The crusiecraft 625/685 are for family first then offshore action. I have been in one with twin 130 honda's and I could not believe the poor performce. anything over 15 and it's a like being in a 18ft boat. You only need to look at the sides and transon of the 680 compared to the 685 crusie. Chalk & cheese. Nice boat to look good with at the ramp, but you really don't see many of them out wide.

The haines is one of those boats the harder you drive it the better they go. After doing 900hours myself in the boat it still amazes me the distance covered in rough conditions with still good economy. Even is average conditions (20knots) we still run around 28+mph 4300rpm +

I doubt you will be doing the fishing we do, so i suppose it comes down to whats on the market and best buy you can get. trim tabs is as important as having a motor in either boat, and yes haines are standard. If it was me the haines wins hands down and you will find the are slightly cheaper (2nd hand) then the 685.

My 2 cents.

Reel Blue
07-11-2009, 07:05 PM
The way some comments are written a novice would be forgiven for thinking top brand 'x' is going to streak over the horizon whilst leaving top brand 'y' floundering in its wake.

I have run a Haines Hunter 650 Classic for three years and it is a top boat. I have also owned several very good boats including a Signature 600F and Sportfish 580 Centre Cabin. Many have commented how well my 650 Haines travels but the reality is that when I have been travelling about as fast as I want to for a given amount of bang, my mates in their boats are not left behind on the horizon. I have had to slow down for mates in plate boats, but not one who drives a CC 685 outsider. The haines is best directly into a sea, and I can travel a few knots quicker for a given amount of bang, but we are not talking about much difference. You would have to jump from one to the other on the same day to pick it up. A 680 Haines might be a different boat though as I have not been on one.

GBC
07-11-2009, 10:35 PM
I don't want to sound condescending, but have a look at a 650 and a 680 on a trailer - not even a little bit similar, and yes the horizon is a long way away when trying to follow a 680 offshore in brand 'Y' - the difference is that much make no mistake.
Go the Wallabies!

gofishin
08-11-2009, 05:32 AM
Good info there skipper.
...I have been in one with twin 130 honda's and I could not believe the poor performce. anything over 15 and it's a like being in a 18ft boat...This I can believe. That boat would have been an absolute pig! 2 x BF 130’s weigh 450kg in L form, and that’s without props! This kind of weight would cripple a 685, and they don’t like a heavy transom. Who in their right mind would set one up like this in the first place? From memory the max transom weight on the 685 is 370kg (but would need to check my MDP).

You can learn a lot about a boat just by looking at its hull lines on the trailer, and GBC you are right, they are chalk and cheese even before you get them wet.

1. Don’t even contemplate one without a good set of tabs.
2. Then do yourself a huge favour and add a 4 blade. They are a completely different boat with one of these babies.
cheers

TimiBoy
08-11-2009, 06:40 AM
Good info there skipper.This I can believe. That boat would have been an absolute pig! 2 x BF 130’s weigh 450kg in L form, and that’s without props! This kind of weight would cripple a 685, and they don’t like a heavy transom. Who in their right mind would set one up like this in the first place? From memory the max transom weight on the 685 is 370kg (but would need to check my MDP).

You can learn a lot about a boat just by looking at its hull lines on the trailer, and GBC you are right, they are chalk and cheese even before you get them wet.

1. Don’t even contemplate one without a good set of tabs.
2. Then do yourself a huge favour and add a 4 blade. They are a completely different boat with one of these babies.
cheers

I wonder if anyone out there would loan me a 4 blade Enertia to do the numbers? Who's the best mob to ask? The 3 blade does a great job, but hey, improvement is fun...

Cheers,

Tim

Reel Blue
08-11-2009, 08:00 AM
I have seen 680's and considered buying one. I leant towards the 650 as it had more cockpit space and cost less. I accept the 680 has more depth in the hull, and 200kg more hull weight.

My comments previously were more directed at this statement, "Nice boat to look good with at the ramp, but you really don't see many of them out wide.

gofishin
08-11-2009, 07:25 PM
I wonder if anyone out there would loan me a 4 blade Enertia to do the numbers? Who's the best mob to ask? The 3 blade does a great job, but hey, improvement is fun...

Cheers,

TimTim, Enertia's only come with 3 blades. In SS Merc 4 blade props you have an option of either a Revolution 4 or Vensura. I could not get a hold of either, but would love to try both as they are different diams to the 4 blades I have tried (Rev 4 - 14&5/8 and Vensura- 14&1/2). If ever I find a dealer that has one/some to try, I'll let you know.
cheers

ozbee
08-11-2009, 10:14 PM
the 680 patriot is a different type of boat to the cc .even the hh classic will ride better than the cruise but the cruise is more family oriented to which a lot of people is suitable. the patriot is a very deep boat and also tapers a long way back from the nose . advantages is it will handle far better but does lose a lot of cabin room. if you are a 100k reef tripper out go the patriot like me,if less go the classic if only now and then in in fine conditions go the cruise craft.

the patriot will burn a extra 20 grand out of your pocket so i guess you pay for the privilege. though resale is there.