PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic or cable steer

Mudlicker
06-11-2009, 08:11 PM
Hi Guys , I am converting my 4.35 TABS territory into a side console and was looking for opinions on whether to go cable or hydraulic steering when I do the install.I am currently running a yamaha f50 on the back .I have heard so many opinions on both , just wanting to hear some more pro's and cons:-/

PADDLES
07-11-2009, 03:17 AM
mate, i reckon that hydraulic is better than cable all day every day, but it'd be hard to justify the expense on your boat/motor combo

DTHCoCo
07-11-2009, 06:47 AM
Hydraulic anyday I have it on 4.5m ally with a 60 hp etec is wasn't hard to justify because at the end of the day it's only money and it's the time to stimulate the economy.

Would never go back to the old cable system it's only there for cheapness.

FNQCairns
07-11-2009, 07:25 AM
For that sized boat and motor I would certainly choose good quality no feedback cable. The main reason is for the lock to lock turns the cheaper hyd units have far too many turns...this is often an ok trade when the boat is large enough for the other advantages of hydraulic to come into play but on your boat esp with the user friendliness of the new cable systems hydraulic is a solid second choice until one is planing to spend near 3x what a baystar unit costs.

cheers fnq

Mudlicker
07-11-2009, 09:30 AM
Hi guys dont really mind the expense if the product works , i love the boat so any money spent on it is an investment in my eyes.;D

FNQCairns
07-11-2009, 09:45 AM
Well if that's the case look at buying outside of a kit, buy a large cubic capacity helm and the typical baystar or equivalent CC cylinder to suit your engine etc.

The boat being light and low powered means you could possibly aim at 3.5 turns lock to lock without firmness becoming to much of an issue, i have 3.8 or so on my self designed system but would prefer less, it's a 6m 90hp tinny...lots of turns lock to lock is a right pain in the bottom in comparison and that's putting it mildly.

cheers fnq

cormorant
07-11-2009, 11:12 AM
FNQ - have you used the pivot point closest to the motor or drilled one even closer in? You probably have but so many I see set up are on the one furtherest ( now there is a new word) from the motor.

NFB cable for me on that size boat on price alone , simple and it works. Easy to repair . On the water you would barely notice the difference. Oly thing that will rule it out is really tight turns from console ( if it has storage etc) but new cables can bend tight I just don't like seeing them done to their limits as they never last as long.

Check your transom and engine well set up as many make it very hard to use some sorts of steering on the smaller motors. Look at a sister boat with the set up you want.

FNQCairns
07-11-2009, 04:50 PM
FNQ - have you used the pivot point closest to teh motor or drilled one even closer in? You probably have but so many I see set up are on the one furtherest ( now there is a new word) from the motor.

NFB cable for me on that size boat on price alone , simple and it works. Easy to repair . On the water you would barely notice the difference. Oly thing that will rule it out is really tight turns from console ( if it has storage etc) but new cables can bend tight I just don't like seeing them done to their limits as they never last as long.

Check your transom and engine well set up as many make it very hard to use some sorts of steering on the smaller motors. Look at a sister boat with the set up you want.

Hi mate mine only has one hole and no room in the design to place another but in my experience anyway the cylinder stroke will limit the turn before the engine does...bit of a pain that.

cheers fnq

vertico
07-11-2009, 06:24 PM
hydraulic all the way you will wonder why you used cable steer in the first place...

oldboot
07-11-2009, 11:10 PM
Driven both.

If you can afford and have the space... go hydraulic.

cheers

maxi
10-11-2009, 10:16 PM
Hydraulic, hands down.

Noelm
11-11-2009, 07:23 AM
I have been trying to get a price on hydraulic for my boat, it would seem no one wants any business these days, but to answer the question, I reckon they should ban cable steering! end of story.