PDA

View Full Version : Johnson 115hp 2 stroke 2003 model

Renben
05-11-2009, 08:53 PM
Hi guys
Looking at a 5.5m fibreglass boat with this motor, less than 100 hours. Any real concerns with this model?
Thanks
Ben

surveyor
05-11-2009, 09:31 PM
hi renben
they are great motors plenty of go reliable and not too thirsty the newer style cowl is a bit quieter than the old ones .i put hundreds of hours on mine and most ive known had no troubles .i think power pacs or ignition pick up was the only weak point but not all that common so if its been regulary serviced buy with confidence

Chimo
06-11-2009, 06:06 AM
Hi Ben

Ive got two of them and they are fine motors "just about the same as Etecs" apart from the carbys and plugs instead of the fuel injection and injectors and computor!

Get an OMC / BRP Marine tech to check the motor over pre purchase and keep him servicing it very 100hrs or annually and if its good now and you keep away from plastic bags etc and dont cook the thing it might do thousands of hrs for you. They dont seem to be as sensitive to fuel issues either, probably as they do use a bit more than than the later versions.

Cheers
Chimo

Jarrah Jack
06-11-2009, 11:44 AM
It was produced after brp fixed all the quality assurance problems of omc so there is no reason why the motor won't go for yonks with correct maintaince.

Noelm
06-11-2009, 11:57 AM
there never was any problems with 115's built by OMC, in any configuration (Ficht or Carby) the only problems were with a couple of models in the V6 range.

Jarrah Jack
06-11-2009, 03:09 PM
Did omc go out of business because of problems with a few v6 models or because of a general lack of QA overall?

Renben
06-11-2009, 04:23 PM
Thanks for all the replys guys, will get it checked out by someone who knows what they are doing but its reassuring to know they go well if looked after appropriately.

Ben