PDA

View Full Version : Aluminium Shark Cat

troy
04-11-2009, 07:16 PM
Seen one of this type of boat just recently and when it is anchored the water comes up to the bottom of the cowel[spelling]
This boat was made in Ingham Nth QLD.
Would anyone be concerned with both motors sitting so low.
Troy

julian1
04-11-2009, 07:20 PM
is there supposed to be a pic ??

Wahoo
04-11-2009, 07:23 PM
is there supposed to be a pic ??

here is a link to there boats, they look good

sorry wrong link

STUIE63
04-11-2009, 07:28 PM
I think the Ingham bit would make the boat a borger cat
http://www.acecomp.com.au/nqborgercats/photos.htm
Stuie

finding_time
04-11-2009, 07:34 PM
Seen one of this type of boat just recently and when it is anchored the water comes up to the bottom of the cowel[spelling]
This boat was made in Ingham Nth QLD.
Would anyone be concerned with both motors sitting so low.
Troy

No picture mate but it used to be an issue with cats but now most run 25 inch legs so no problem!

Have you started looking at cats Troy? They will go real nice up your way mate , dont listen to all the BS about cats and chop, they eat up chop even NQ chop!;)

Ian

Vitamin Sea
04-11-2009, 07:42 PM
No picture mate but it used to be an issue with cats but now most run 25 inch legs so no problem!

Have you started looking at cats Troy? They will go real nice up your way mate , dont listen to all the BS about cats and chop, they eat up chop even NQ chop!;)

Ian

Shi% stirrer;D;D;D

finding_time
04-11-2009, 11:12 PM
Shi% stirrer;D;D;D

Merde agitateur........Moi!!:o :o :o :o Surement vous plaisantez!!;)

Trouver du temps

troy
05-11-2009, 06:13 AM
I think the Ingham bit would make the boat a borger cat
http://www.acecomp.com.au/nqborgercats/photos.htm
Stuie
This one had twin motors so might be another make/
Troy

troy
05-11-2009, 06:24 AM
Merde agitateur........Moi!!:o :o :o :o Surement vous plaisantez!!;)

Trouver du temps
Mate keep writing like above and we will never argue over cats as i would never know what you are saying.;)
The motors were sitting to low for me no matter what boat it was.
Troy.
Sorry no pic but i am not sure whether the brand name was a carnival but most likely wrong

Noelm
05-11-2009, 07:12 AM
I find it kind of funny how nearly all cats are called "sharkcats", when they are for sale, when they are just spoken about, I guess it is sort of like a vacuum cleaner being called a "Hoover" or a cooler being and "Esky" or a flask being a "Thermos" all these things are specific brands, but their name gets used to cover a dozen generic products, in this case there was mention of "an Aluminium Sharkcat" no such beast has ever been made, they were never made in alloy, lots of other makes were, but not Sharkcat!

troy
05-11-2009, 07:38 AM
I find it kind of funny how nearly all cats are called "sharkcats", when they are for sale, when they are just spoken about, I guess it is sort of like a vacuum cleaner being called a "Hoover" or a cooler being and "Esky" or a flask being a "Thermos" all these things are specific brands, but their name gets used to cover a dozen generic products, in this case there was mention of "an Aluminium Sharkcat" no such beast has ever been made, they were never made in alloy, lots of other makes were, but not Sharkcat!
Noelm i can see where your coming from but how would you describe this boat.
I called it a Aluminium Shark Cat because that was the best way i could describe it.
The boat in question looked like a cat but it was Aluminium and i know it could not be compared to a real glass cat and that was all i meant and not putting down cats.
Troy

Noelm
05-11-2009, 07:44 AM
I was also not putting you down, it was just an observation and maybe even a bit of an early morning whinge, people can things whatever they like, if the (say) buyer cannot sort out the model or make, then so be it.

finding_time
05-11-2009, 08:11 AM
Troy

Mehr als wahrscheinlich ein Borger einige haben zwei motoren!!;)

Suche nach Zeit

STUIE63
05-11-2009, 08:24 AM
the Borgers do come in 2 motors . the borgers are called nq cat
Stuie

bennyboy
05-11-2009, 08:26 AM
In answering the question about motor height, yes the exhaust relief has to be a certain height above the static water level (resting water level). Different on each model and make of motor but normally at least 10cm. If not water can enter the exhaust and cause serious damage to a motor. In this situation there is no warranty given on a motor

Noelm
05-11-2009, 08:47 AM
used to be a very common problem on a lot of earlier motors, when the boat was pushed off the trailer, the stern (and thus the motor) would go way under water (or very close to it) and water would whoosh up the exhaust and into the bottom cylinder, if the port was uncovered because the piston was in the wrong place, you ended up with a cylinder full of salt water, which as a general rule, is not a good thing, so later on some design changes fixed the problem mostly, but to be safe, you need to have your trailer far enough in the water to allow the boat to "slide" off, not get half way and tip up and go in almost vertical, have your motor tilted right up, or running when launching to stop such things happening (or at least help prevent it) now I can hear a thousand guys now, yelling, "I have been launching for years, and I will not get my wheels wet, and I have never had it happen" and hopefully you will not have it happen, but trust me it does happen, and it is a nasty outcome. This was a bit off track, but related to low motors (sort of)

finding_time
05-11-2009, 09:51 AM
the Borgers do come in 2 motors . the borgers are called nq cat
Stuie

Stuie

thats che cosa ho detto;)

Troy

Probabilmente sono stati 20" gambe se avete installato 25" gambe la testa di potere potrebbe essere 5" piu elevato e ammenda;) :D

trovare il tempo

troy
05-11-2009, 10:12 AM
Stuie

thats che cosa ho detto;)

Troy

Probabilmente sono stati 20" gambe se avete installato 25" gambe la testa di potere potrebbe essere 5" piu elevato e ammenda;) :D

trovare il tempo
Finding Time you win what are you saying that you finally have decided to buy a mono.:D
Troy

finding_time
05-11-2009, 10:42 AM
Troy

Usted cree que yo nada digo en ingles asi que pense que podria seguir tratando otros idromas, espanol??????

Encontrar el tiempo

GBC
05-11-2009, 11:02 AM
I think he's saying that since all the rain we had last week - the blue meanies have started sprouting again.:D

insideout
05-11-2009, 11:10 AM
heres a piccie of my nq borger cat, got to be the best allrounder cat / boat i have ever owned. I can go from offshore to impoundment fishing. I can handle it myself, and is cheap enough to run. It eats up the swell and chop extremely well. OMG:o a one engined cat:o :o !!! the sky is going to fall........lololol!!!;D ;D

finding_time
05-11-2009, 11:18 AM
I think he's saying that since all the rain we had last week - the blue meanies have started sprouting again.:D

Mhux n-nisa fil-livelli kollha habib tieghi flit xaham li sodod lafna ikrah;D ;D ;D ;D

Sejba ta Zmier8-)

insideout
05-11-2009, 11:22 AM
finding time can u plz take the golf ball out of ur mouth before you speak again:P :P ;D ;D

Matt_F
05-11-2009, 12:03 PM
Sorry this is a bit of the topic.

A question for insideout. I started a post some time ago asking of the downside (if any) of a single engine cat compared to a twin engine cat. Apart from the obvious safety of twins the only real comments were the single engine cats do suffer from a bit of cavitation from time to time. Has this been an issue with your borger or are there any other trade-offs you are aware of? They do look like a nice boat to me.

Thanks,
Matt.

finding_time
05-11-2009, 12:20 PM
finding time can u plz take the golf ball out of ur mouth before you speak again:P :P ;D ;D

Insideout

it's abit like this, for years and years i've been trying to explain cats to the NQ boys and none of it seem to sink in, they just keep on repeating the same old myths over and over again !!!! ;) It's like i'm speaking another language!!! Then it hit me they mightant speak English up there so i thought i would try French, then German, Italian, Spanish and finally Maltese ( GBC is part Maltese;) ) and maybe some of the good oil might get through;) ;) looks like i'll have to keep looking!

Kas te raagite eesti????? Estonian;)

Leidmie aega

Noelm
05-11-2009, 01:47 PM
must be bloody hot where you are finding time, because the sun has cooked your melon!, better get a nice cool drink and have a good lie down, then come back out trying to convert the North QLDERs that a cat will be OK up there.

troy
05-11-2009, 01:50 PM
Ian my old mate i was not having a go at cats.
I would not like for one minute having motors sitting that low on a mono.
As for the old cat v mono debate it is well known i do not like them.
Having said that i think the reason blokes who have bought cats up here and then sold them and knocked them.
I am of the opinion that they had no experience with them and did not know how to drive them.
They must be a quality boat as to many have them and a lot of are looking for one.
There Jesus i must be getting old
Now start talking bloody English.
Troy

Wahoo
05-11-2009, 03:46 PM
grew up in a cat up here Ian, and to this day i will always say they are shit up these waters, no matter how many tantrums you will have it wont change what i think. Did'nt Scott have a near miss not so long ago....hehehe, but there is always something else to blame aint there. Maybe when i was fishing in the cat i should of told the skipper to hold his toung in the other corner of his mouth, might of made a difference

julian1
05-11-2009, 03:49 PM
funny how no one ever talks about near misses in mono's when they broach in a rear quartering sea, huh they don't you say ? whats a load of BS, i have passed many reputable mono's in those wind driven choppy conditions that were over a metre longer boats.

finding_time
05-11-2009, 04:08 PM
Wahoo

Huna wazo wakati wote wanazungumza nini kuhuso wewe;) ::)

Kapata wakati

Ps. Swahili;)

finding_time
05-11-2009, 04:28 PM
Wahoo

Was the inncident you were refering to the one where Foxy in his 7m cat was doing 30 knots in a nasty beam sea and hit an awkward wave then broached with 5 men and 500kg of esky all going to one side of the boat and the boat remained upright!!!!:o :o :o :o And which 7m Mono were you comparing this to??????????;) ;D

Your funny Wahoo !! Really Funny :o And not funny haha either;)

ian

insideout
05-11-2009, 04:29 PM
Wahoo

Huna wazo wakati wote wanazungumza nini kuhuso wewe;) ::)

Kapata wakati

Ps. Swahili;)

ROFLMAO.....

insideout
05-11-2009, 04:42 PM
Sorry this is a bit of the topic.

A question for insideout. I started a post some time ago asking of the downside (if any) of a single engine cat compared to a twin engine cat. Apart from the obvious safety of twins the only real comments were the single engine cats do suffer from a bit of cavitation from time to time. Has this been an issue with your borger or are there any other trade-offs you are aware of? They do look like a nice boat to me.

Thanks,
Matt.

Matt, to date i have noticed nothing with cavitation, the boat turns tight circles with no problem, in fact the hull in a tight turn feels as tho its on train tracks, with no leaning isues.

I was lucky enough to own 3 mono plate boats( in succession), and let me say after owning 4 cats(in succession), i wont be going back to mono....no , no ,no.

I have now got only a single engine on ,for i feel comfortable enough that technology is good enough to trust only one if you want. besides it is cheaper to be a member of VMR than to buy a second engine...But im a tight a$$ tho...lol;D

Matt_F
05-11-2009, 05:30 PM
Insideout, is your borger wet in a head-on or beam-on sea, most open monos of that size are. But some idea of how they compare would be useful.

insideout
06-11-2009, 03:16 PM
Insideout, is your borger wet in a head-on or beam-on sea, most open monos of that size are. But some idea of how they compare would be useful.

Being a open boat, you are exposed to the elements, but at worst , when the waves are starting to stand up , and i am heading straight into them, i will cop a mist over the front, not water. This is a rare tho. In any other scene, it is dry.
Because it is straight up and down on the sides( to give max room inside), you sometimes see a wall of water come past you ( on side console), but never comes in.
Hope this helps.

ozbee
06-11-2009, 04:14 PM
you must watch that channel 9 or 7 clip where that big racing cat off Townsville a few years ago one moment there than plop shes gone in a 1.2 sea nq chop. simple fact most boa ties up this way do not favour cats.personally over 24 ft i would look at a kelvcat over my patriot as i feel it should be long enough to hold up in a sea with a side sweel as well . but hey vmr burdekin are selling theres cause a few have been caught out in the seas up here and its 26 feet

insideout
06-11-2009, 05:14 PM
Strange you say that, my cat is built up in NQ , and they are months and months behind last time i spoke to them....must have been right in the middle of the recession from memory......
They are taking qld gov orders and private orders hand over fist for their cats......must be plenty up there for so many boaties that dont like em.

Have been in a 8.5mtr? patriot (offshore formula)...i think, and was a nice boat. But i also have owned a new 2400 kc , and i know which i prefer to own again..

ozbee
06-11-2009, 08:34 PM
its roughly a years wait for a patriot and i dont rate them as the bee all, even though i own one different areas have different seas . one thing i hope is you dont do regular 100 k trips out in that present size boat in your photo be it duel or single hull.

insideout
06-11-2009, 09:07 PM
I hear ya ozbee, unfortunately we do travel about 200+ kms per trip these days to try to outdistance the pros, shelf trips , far north trips ( from sandy cape nth of fraser). Next trips are going through wide bay bar ( bottom of fraser) to more productive grounds.

It is becoming the norm to bump into trawlers in groups of 5 or so around our fishing grounds lately, and ,well, its getting to the point that we will try different places.

Wahoo
06-11-2009, 09:19 PM
different areas have different seas .

NO NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOOO.......OMG Ozbee, this can not be.........just ask finding time;D.....hehehe

finding_time
06-11-2009, 10:24 PM
Oh yes i forgot we are talking about the totally unique "North Queensland Chop"" A sea condition that occurs nowhere else in the world, that swollows cats by the dozen!!! Do you poeple have any idea how totally rediculous you sound when you say things like this!! I suppose you install anti chop crystals on the dash next to the sounder so they will read properly in these conditions, continually burn incense and once a year sacrifice a virginto appease the NQ chop GOD!!

Chop is chop , And yes you have current against wind situations that stand the sea up sharply, well guess what!! ( i hope your all sitting down )These conditions occur in other places aswell, and guess what cats go fine in them as you have all been told by many cat drivers who have spent plenty of time up there in many threads but for some reason it doesn't sink in!Maybe your all abit sloooooow!!!Do you guys also believe that if you travel to far out past the reef that you'll fall of the edge of the world!!::)

Ian

gtphantom
07-11-2009, 02:31 AM
hey guys intersting talk on the differing conditions in QLD I don't know if you guys tow your boats far to go fishing but here in the west its not uncommon to trailer up to an 8m boat 1500k to go fishing for a couple a weeks -- we just got back from coral bay yesterday, 1200k from Perth for a weeks break , got some good days in too , but back to the topic -- when you fish Perth local the summer can be diabolical for the prevailing sou-westers they can be blowing 25-30 @ 7:00 in the morning with a 2-3 m swell -- not much fun really! then you get to the north-west and you can be 60-70m of water 3-4 K's from the coast big swells no chop, same state totally different conditions . I guess my point is that WA is probably best known for it's plate alloy mono's like the Razerlines ,Trailcrafts and probably another dozen builders,only the one F/G cat builder , thats not really locally manufactured [made in malaysia] Leisurecat, and the local alloy cat manufacturer Abcat/Bayshore I'm pretty sure went belly-up early last year --go figure, you'd think with the crappy summer conditions choppy seas and medium to largish swells that cats would be all the rage-- but they seem to be poor second cousins. starting to see a few more locally but it seems , again to be an east coast /QLD thing. We've got the leisurecat Brumby and as I've said before it seems to be a bit precarious in a following sea - although I've done some changes to the trim set-up and adjusted my driving style a bit , thanks to some good advice from finding time , and as far as the ride goes for a small cat it seems pretty good i don't know what sort of ratio it is where you guys are but plate alloy mono boats between 5.5-6.5m in the west seem to be the most you see at the ramps! fashion ,economy or environment ?what ya reckon?

Mister
07-11-2009, 02:42 PM
Aluminium Skark Cat? Did not realize anybody made an Aluminium Shark Cats? Who makes an aluminium "Shark Cat" ?

troy
07-11-2009, 03:25 PM
Aluminium Skark Cat? Did not realize anybody made an Aluminium Shark Cats? Who makes an aluminium "Shark Cat" ?
According to another member they are called a Borger Cat but looking at the link he put up it does not look the same the boat i was talking about.
Maybe it was not built in Ingham but further north.
All i know for sure is the motors were fitted in my Town and the boat was made up north.
I described it as a shark cat because of the shape of the boat but never intended to mean it was the real thing that being the true cats and brands we know.
Troy

welder
07-11-2009, 03:36 PM
I don't know what they are saying ........But....If they do it here , they better clean it up.

Right quick and in'a hurry.

troy
07-11-2009, 04:00 PM
I don't know what they are saying ........But....If they do it here , they better clean it up.

Right quick and in'a hurry.
??????????????