PDA

View Full Version : FINALLY: Sand at Raby Bay VMR ramp

mowerman
04-11-2009, 12:33 PM
About 18 months ago I had a rant at my local member about the state of the boulder beach at the public ramp at Raby bay. Not good for my boats bum.
Eventually I received a call from the Dept of Transport bloke who is in charge of maintaining all the ramps in Qld. That was his problem. All the ramps and little money.

Today on my wanderings I went down to the ramp to see who was silly enough to go out in this northerly.
And I found. Bobcat, excavator, 2 piles of about 20 cubes of sand and half a dozen blokes standing around watching the digging.

Digging the rocks out to a depth of about 500mm. Then putting in sandbags that look to hold about a quarter of a cube. Then over the top with the sand.
Should be finished by the weekend.

My bums gonna love it.

Rod

honda900
04-11-2009, 12:57 PM
Rod,

They did that a few years ago, the sand lasted all of a month befor you were jumping out on to the oyster covered rocks again. Maybe this time they have put some thought in to it.

Why does vicci point get a pontoon and not raby Bay?

Regards
Honda.

Sandman
04-11-2009, 01:47 PM
Thats good news for my boat allways found that to be a pain , thanks for the update .

Marlin_Mike
04-11-2009, 02:59 PM
how long before a big northerly blows and the associated big seas push it all away????

Mike

mowerman
04-11-2009, 04:17 PM
how long before a big northerly blows and the associated big seas push it all away????

Mike

Today.

Rod

beefa12001
04-11-2009, 04:24 PM
Yeah should be good, no more hoping the boat ramp is clear so I can do a sideways landing to avoid bottom scratching......Matt

oldboot
04-11-2009, 10:24 PM
I hope wello is next.

I went down to wello ramps yesterday to practice putting the boat on and off the new trailer a few times......took it for a squirt out thru the leads.......um... it was a bit lumpy out there........... shorts sets standing up over a metre............I would have gone for a run.. but not in that.......on the way back in there was a 14 foot ish boat going out with 4 aboard.... no radio.......they must have been keen... because I didn't see em come back......& I ran the boat on and off a few times after I got back.

this was about 2:30.

cheers

nut44gq
05-11-2009, 08:26 PM
i went out at wello point about 330 to check some pots yesterday
16 foot glass boat 175 on the back with old man and brother.
it was a wild ride biggest waves iv seen in the bay for a wile inbetween
wello and cleveland.
the wall thay are doing down there looks ok.
having a beach at raby bay will make it better if it stays there.