PDA

View Full Version : etech 225 blown head gasket.

stretchmarks
03-11-2009, 02:47 PM
My etech 225 has just blown the head gasket!I purchased the motor new november 2008 it has 70 hours on it. I use the boat for offshore fishing not ski racing or any form of racing and very realey run the motor flat out.The mechanic hasnt given any reason as to why or how this could happen. I am very concerend about the long term affects this is going to have on the motor? For the engine to over heat and not go into safe mode what damage could have been done other than blown head gasket?
This happened 2 weeks ago while we were trawling offshore down Brunswick Heads, speed was about 12 knots not to sure what revs we were doing.The engine alarm came up engine overheat, we stopped the motor immediatly,lifted the leg checked for debris around the leg,nothing there put the leg down turned the motor on and checked the water flow from pump everything seemed ok and sounded ok! untill i went to take off! we has a bad burning smell come from motor and it went into safe mode ,just a little bit to late as the damage had already had been done!We got back ok ,got home flushed the motor everything seemed ok.Called the mechanic he came out a few days later said we have blown the head gasket
He has replaced head gasket,impellor,thermostats done compression test left side 135psi right side 125psi removed gear box and inspected said it is all ok!
Guys please help me! do you think the motor has suffered any long term damage? should i request extended warranty? do you think im entitled to a new power head <highly unlikely>
These motors new are very expensive i can not afford to trade it in! it looks like i might be stuck with a lemon?

stinky-stabi
03-11-2009, 04:07 PM
put your case up on the E-TEC owners group, huey will send you in the right direction .... good luck with it http://www.etecownersgroup.com/search

lethal098
03-11-2009, 04:08 PM
have you ever had a car engine do a headgasket??? there is no safe mode when that happens you kill the motor full stop. Modern day outboards are bult with safety in mind and thats why SAFE mode exists, to allow it to detect a problem and place itself in safe to get you home not leave you abandoned 30nm out to sea. Warranty is there for a reason, to fix anything mechanical that might fail insde that specified timeframe. You could let the manufacturer know your disappointment but at the end of the day it prob wont get you far. IMHO. cheers Lee

BUCA T
03-11-2009, 05:30 PM
hey strechys, mate i would be damanding a new powerhead, you pay top dollars for an e-tec and they promote the hell out of them and tell us they r bullet proof ( and they arnt) . I had a 50hp e-tec and it put a piston through the block after about 60 hours. Evinrude replaced it with a new engine, but since i have sold the boat and my new rig is ordered with a 150hp yamaha 4 banger. Mate hit them up for a new donk coz you dont need to be doubtin your engine when your heading miles off shore.

cheers buca t

Getout
03-11-2009, 06:22 PM
Was the repair done under warranty?

Spaniard_King
04-11-2009, 07:17 AM
hey strechys, mate i would be damanding a new powerhead, you pay top dollars for an e-tec and they promote the hell out of them and tell us they r bullet proof ( and they arnt) . I had a 50hp e-tec and it put a piston through the block after about 60 hours. Evinrude replaced it with a new engine, but since i have sold the boat and my new rig is ordered with a 150hp yamaha 4 banger. Mate hit them up for a new donk coz you dont need to be doubtin your engine when your heading miles off shore.

cheers buca t

Not sure if BRp would entertain a new powerhead as they are only required to repair the engine.

A new Power head would have to come from their goodwill budget

Jarrah Jack
04-11-2009, 07:30 AM
The comps being down on one side like that has devalued your motor a bit and should be fixed under warrenty.

That etec owners group sounds the way to go.

Noelm
04-11-2009, 09:36 AM
it is always possible that you picked up a plastic bag or something, when you stopped and lifted the leg, it may have fallen off, hence why it was all OK when you tried it later, not too sure why the burning smell though, unless it has got very hot first up.

oldboot
04-11-2009, 10:49 PM
I've blown a few head gasgets in cars.....and a lot deepends on where the breah is.....I drove all of them home and the engines continued for thousands of k's after no problem.

But it depends on where the blow is, and mor importantly if any water go where it should not bee.

but just a bit of an overheat should not blow a head health gasget.....unless the head was warped.

Another Etec story........::)

cheers

stretchmarks
08-11-2009, 02:54 PM
put your case up on the E-TEC owners group, huey will send you in the right direction .... good luck with it http://www.etecownersgroup.com/search
Thanks mate i have posted a thread on there he was helpful, i have a few more questions to ask him about compression and motor temps. i am going to wait untill i get the service report back! i got the boat back on 6-11-09. it was dropped off to my house, i got a phone call to say everything is fixed.No paperwork no list of parts used and 2 big scratches on the leg.I will never be taking my boat to this guy again! Im still waiting to hear back from brp I will be calling them on Monday!

stretchmarks
08-11-2009, 03:04 PM

cheers buca t
Thanks BUCA T its like trying to get blood out of a stone, no help whatsoever! When i first got the motor alot of people used to ask me what the motor was like! I used to say they were great, now i will be telling them a piece of crap stay well away from them!

stretchmarks
08-11-2009, 03:06 PM
Was the repair done under warranty?y
Yes mate all work was done under warranty.

OPTI
08-11-2009, 05:33 PM
i thought they had oring head gaskets?the biggest problem when you blow a head gasket is that the engine sucks in the salt water,then it sits for a few days ,which really helps the crank and rod bearings to start rusting,but hey you got 5 years of warranty ,just run that baby into the ground till the rod pokes out,and then i bet BRP tell you you must of had water in your fuel and its not warranty because of water ingestation,good luck with it is all i can say>:(

cormorant
13-12-2009, 04:25 PM
Did you ever get to the bottom of this one with the lower compressions on one bank or did you get palmed off and told it was in tollerance? Was there any codes on the computer at all, overheat? Could they retension the head correctly or did they have to use helicoils?

Did they extend the warranty?

Are you still getting the exact same revs as per before the failure?

I'd make sure very service report contains a compression report as I do on any motor?

Hope it is trouble free for you from now on.

TimiBoy
13-12-2009, 04:46 PM
I've only done gaskets in diesels, but they've been fine afterwards (although we did crack a head as a result once). I reckon you should be ok. GO HARD! I'd work it to make sure it's ok inside warranty.

If they stuff you around, be a C*&t.

Make sure your insurance covers bag ingestion.

Cheers,

Tim

ozbee
14-12-2009, 03:42 PM
come on it is only a head gasket next itl be a spark plug miss and a knew block needed as for a difference of 5 psi there wouldn't be a new one on the shelf that good. you may have picked up a bag also it went into safe mode be thankful it was a two not fourstroke . all you have done is probably run it in a little quicker at the worst get out and enjoy your boat

Jabba_
14-12-2009, 05:37 PM
Stretchmarks, who is your E-tec dealer... PM me if you prefer not to name them on the net