PDA

View Full Version : Help: Outboard Purchase

Neckrofish
03-11-2009, 08:45 AM
Hey Ausfishers,

I am wanting to upgrade the outboard motor on my tinnie as the motor presently attached is a short shaft and not correctly suited to the boat.

Does anyone have any reccomendations on where would be the best place to go looking for a new model around the 30HP range? looking for good service and a fair price.

Thanks,

Rob

Edit: i am on northside of Brisbane

thanks Stuie

STUIE63
03-11-2009, 08:50 AM
it will help if you tell us where you are
Stuie

Noelm
03-11-2009, 09:00 AM
that would help, but just get what you want, ,like 30HP, electric start and shop around for the best price on it, do not be sucked into a quote that is not the same, like (say) no electric start, from there you can narrow it down to the dealer who can give you a good price, but can and will look after you later on, the cheapest is not always the best!

joey_1987
03-11-2009, 10:14 AM
2 stroke? 4 stroke? E-tec? If you want 2 stroke, you can choose from essentially 4 motors. The hull it's going on and the load it's pushing may make a difference. In the 2 stroke range you have the Tohatsu 25/30hp (also sold as a Mercury/Mariner 25hp SeaPro/30hp LW) which is typically excellent value for money, very reliable, the lightest in its class at 48kg, but trolls a bit rough and is a bit loud at WOT. There are two yammies to look at, the 30hp 'CV' which is similar to the Tohatsu, twin cylinder single carb, also runs a bit rough at idle, is rated at 100:1 oil though which means cleaner/cheaper running? Suzuki also make a twin cylinder 30hp 2stroke, roughly the same as the ones previously mentioned, runs 100:1 oil (The Tohatsu runs 50:1 FYI, (some here may not agree with this and choose to run at 50:1 anyway). The Suzuki is a bit heavier than the Tohatsu/Merc by about 8kg I think at about 56kg, the Yamaha CV is roughly the same weight. Then there's the Yamaha 3 cylinder 30hp which can weigh up to 67kg, but having 3 cylinders and 3 carbies, it's the quietest and smoothest of them all. I think it might be the most expensive of all the 30hp 2 strokes though. Then there's the E-tec 30hp, it weighs 80kg, has a larger piston displacement than all the 2 strokes mentioned previously, uses about 2L/hr less fuel at cruise than the 2 strokes and about 3-4L/hr at WOT. I believe it's quite expensive. Then you have EFI 4 strokes, the Merc/Tohatsu 30hp which has received some good reports and fuel usage is the same as the e-tec, it weighs 82.5kg. Then there's the Yamaha EFI 30hp, a derated 40hp, has the largest displacement at 747cc, weighs 99kg.

A lot to digest, it will all come down to maybe what suits your needs and dealers in your area. I myself own a 30hp Mariner (the merc/tohatsu equivalent) and i quite like it. But your needs may be different.
Cheers.

Neckrofish
03-11-2009, 10:39 AM
Wow, lots of info there Joey_1987. Cheers for that.

Guys, im more interested in places that people have shopped and recommend due to great service and fair prices. I know i can do a white/yellow pages on all the marine outlets in SE QLD and shop around everywhere, but i'd like to start with the places that people on here have experienced and recommend.

Cheers

joey_1987
03-11-2009, 10:47 AM
I forgot to mention warranty, mercury have a 3+2 yr warranty scheme (3 yrs corrosion, you get an additional 2 yrs (doesn't cover corrosion) if you service it at Mercury agents. Dealer network is important, mainly for service, although for carby 2 strokes it's pretty simple maintenance and after the warranty you can do it yourself easily :). Can I ask what hull it's going onto and what sort of loads you want to push? Also do you know what you want to spend on an outboard and if you need particular things like electric start, power tilt/trim. Not being from QLD I can't help you with dealers/agents in your area, sorry.
Goodluck with it though.
Cheers.

BaitThrower
03-11-2009, 10:03 PM
Mate I have a 30Hp Yamaha CV I got off ebay... It needed the drive shaft seals redone but I did that myself. Motor is very reliable and hasnt skipped a beat yet.

I have heard Stones Corner Marine are fairly good, and a Yammy dealer. I only buy parts from them as I service myself. I couldn't stomach the $300+ regular service cost but I have heard they do a good job from others.