PDA

View Full Version : Would a Stainless Prop be suitable for a new 30 4 stroke

Scott Ashe
03-11-2009, 07:25 AM
Hi,

I have a new Allycraft 425 "Reel Mate with a 09 30 EFI 4st Yammy, and I was just wondering whether a stainless prop would be suitable for this. I'm a real fussy bugger and really don't like it when my prop gets little chips it it.

My dealer (wynnum marine) said it would make it heavier to steer, and that they are mainly for bigger engines, but I have been reading the recent thread here where some say yes and some say no.?

I mainly fish around the sothern bay Islands. I also do the odd bit of creek work chasing mud crabs.

One final questions is would Solas propellors give me sound advice, and not just try to sell me something if I contacted them

Noelm
03-11-2009, 08:21 AM
stainless will not make it heavier to steer, it will not get little nicks in it like an alloy one, performance will be better, it will not wreck your gearbox, now the only plus for an alloy prop is price, so is there really any other option if you have the cash? nope! that being said be absolutely sure of the prop you buy, unless you can try a few for free, and Solas seem to be right on the ball as far as water testing and swapping before you buy, not too sure if they charge for that or not though.

Scott Ashe
03-11-2009, 08:49 AM
Thanks Noelm, That was just the sort of unbiased information I was after. Might call Solas later on today for a chat.

Cheers
Scott

PADDLES
03-11-2009, 09:12 AM
i agree with noel, if wynnum marine will credit you back the cost of the alloy prop and you really really want to get a stainless one then go for it. i personally don't see the value on a tinny with a 30hp donk, and would also have better things to spend the few hundred bucks on, but if it's what you want then it will be ok. from what i have heard, solas are very good.