PDA

View Full Version : Masters 34 Flybridge, how do they ride?

Midnight
02-11-2009, 10:07 PM
Gday,
Anyone out there have any experience fishing/cruising in a Masters 34 Flybridge?

I really like the style of them, a bit old school, but they look a little tall for their beam and thought they may be a bit rolly?

What are they like in a big following sea?

How much horsepower is required to get them to perform well, say 18kts cruise.

Cheers,
Myles

Crocodile
03-11-2009, 08:44 AM
Hello Midnight,
Have a look at this;
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.aspx?R=3011253
There are pictures of one on the slip.
Such a shape would have to rolly.
On the other hand it would probably be very confortable with very little pounding.
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=7501839
This one has a 220hp Cummins with a claimed top speed of 18 knots.
I used to work with a guy whose Dad had one.
He says that they did a 360 degree capsize on the Wide Bay Bar one night, the old man's footprint was on the saloon ceiling, the echo sounder trace fell of the paper roll, the flying bridge got torn off, but she still kept going and brought them back.
They must have been built tough.
All bullsh!t aside organise a test ride and see for yourself.

finding_time
03-11-2009, 09:29 AM
Myles

This is a blast from the past for me as i haven't seen one of these hulls for ages! During the mid 80's i spent a bit of time on 2 differant ones, the first was a twin engined model ( 170 hp a side i think, might have been more ) it used to get up and plane ( MAYBE 20 KNOTS)but wasn't by any means a rocket ship the other, the other boat was a single engined model that was very underpowered and basically run as a cruiser and while it would plane ( i think) was generally run at about 9 knots. i have always liked the hull shape and they sit well in the water, not to high like most of todays boats!

ian

Midnight
03-11-2009, 11:06 AM
hahahahahahaaa
Crocodile, that is funny! Im sure it wouldnt have been at the time, but I can just picture it going on, and then to being able to keep steaming:o

I have been thinking for a while of having a look at that one at Scarborough, Seeker, it looks neat and clean with the fresh respray and is a bit of a blank canvas to set up to fish it. I think with only twin 120hp she may be a bit on the slow side.

Thanks Ian, as I said I do like the lines of them and with the keel and twin shafts I imagine they should handle reasonably well, but I guess they would need something like twin 170-200hp to make a reasonable cruise speed.

hhmmmmm more pondering to do haha

Thanks for the replies fellas

Cheers,
Myles