PDA

View Full Version : Have You Ever Read A Barra Thread And Not Posted?

BR65
02-11-2009, 08:19 PM
Have you?
I look at some of the threads, thousands of views, some times hundreds of posts, some time not.
Are some of you guys reading, and not posting?
Is it because you arent interested, its crap, you coudnt be botherd, you wont post for fear of some people shouting you down?

Please, post, join in, add your 2 bits worth, not all posters here are the be all and end all, every one has a differant way of doing things, what have you got to say, what do you think, what do you want to say?

cheers
brian

darylive
02-11-2009, 08:25 PM
Have you?
I look at some of the threads, thousands of views, some times hundreds of posts, some time not.
Are some of you guys reading, and not posting?
Is it because you arent interested, its crap, you coudnt be botherd, you wont post for fear of some people shouting you down?

Please, post, join in, add your 2 bits worth, not all posters here are the be all and end all, every one has a differant way of doing things, what have you got to say, what do you think, what do you want to say?

cheers
brian

Interesting observations:

"arent interested, its crap, you couldn't be bothered, you wont post for fear of some people shouting you down?"

Well I am certainly not posting on this one

DOH! you got me

Plastic_Magic
02-11-2009, 08:28 PM
What a great thread this will become. I for one do spend a fair bit of time on this website. I do not post much at all in this Fresh Water Section. Now its not a personal thing dont get me wrong but i get fed up with the hooligans who turn it into pub talk. This a a forum not a chat site so if people need to chat amongst there friends and talk BULLSH** then get a msn account. I use this site for one thing and that is to learn, share experiences with other fisherman who like to do the same. I am sick of having to look through hundreds of posts just to find that a post with a bit of meaning. I am not scared of getting shut down cause i know for a fact that i can teach people many things that i have experienced on impoundment fishing. But i still have years of learning ahead. this is Just my opinion and why i dont put posts up. I dont see the need for me to Put a thread on how my weekend fishing went and to try and teach poeple what i am learning when it just falls down the list and a thread on Beer and Barra stays at the top of the list. As i say this is no need to be taken personaly but just answering the question to the above post.

Cheers

BR65
02-11-2009, 08:34 PM
Interesting observations:

"arent interested, its crap, you couldn't be bothered, you wont post for fear of some people shouting you down?"

Well I am certainly not posting on this one

DOH! you got me

That was easy ;D

Dicko
02-11-2009, 08:36 PM
Have you? Yes

Are some of you guys reading, and not posting? Yes

Is it because you arent interested, Sometimes.
Its crap, Sometimes

you coudnt be botherd, Usually

you wont post for fear of some people shouting you down? No

Please, post, join in, add your 2 bits worth, not all posters here are the be all and end all, every one has a differant way of doing things, what have you got to say, what do you think,

what do you want to say? um, well now I've got the floor, I'd like to say Hi to my Kids, my Mum, my Dad. I'd also like to see all the people of the world live in peace harmony..... oh,..... sorry that was the speech I had ready for the beauty contest I never won.

cheers
brian

But as for barra fishing, some of you guys are waaaaay to self inflated. I get the impression barra fishing is turning into a nancy boy sport filled with people eating mung bean and alf alfa sandwiches on wholegrain bread after doing a morning routine of pilates.

Real barra fishoes only have 2 choices for breakfast.................... Beer or Bourbon. ;D

BR65
02-11-2009, 08:37 PM
What a great thread this will become. I for one do spend a fair bit of time on this website. I do not post much at all in this Fresh Water Section. Now its not a personal thing dont get me wrong but i get fed up with the hooligans who turn it into pub talk. This a a forum not a chat site so if people need to chat amongst there friends and talk BULLSH** then get a msn account. I use this site for one thing and that is to learn, share experiences with other fisherman who like to do the same. I am sick of having to look through hundreds of posts just to find that a post with a bit of meaning. I am not scared of getting shut down cause i know for a fact that i can teach people many things that i have experienced on impoundment fishing. But i still have years of learning ahead. this is Just my opinion and why i dont put posts up. I dont see the need for me to Put a thread on how my weekend fishing went and to try and teach poeple what i am learning when it just falls down the list and a thread on Beer and Barra stays at the top of the list. As i say this is no need to be taken personaly but just answering the question to the above post.

Cheers

Thank you, you have posted and contributed.
Not all will post, I know that.
Some will see it as beneath them (way to smart to answer that query), some couldnt be bothered (been there, done that), some wont post because their sponsors wont allow them ( thanks to Lyndon for that info).
So that cuts out a small percentage of the viewers I see registered in a thread, waht about the rest?

BR65
02-11-2009, 08:39 PM
But as for barra fishing, some of you guys are waaaaay to self inflated. I get the impression barra fishing is turning into a nancy boy sport filed with people eating mung bean and alf alfa sandwiches on wholegrain bread after doing a morning routine of pilates.

Real barra fishoes only have 2 choices for breakfast.................... Beer or Bourbon. ;D

Dicko, sorry mate, Im not a Bourbon bloke, Bundy all the way, and I dont iron my shirts when I go barra fishing ;D
thanks for the post.

STUIE63
02-11-2009, 08:39 PM
doesn't the view count go up every time you go back on to read the responses ?
there I managed to post as well
Stuie

Dicko
02-11-2009, 08:42 PM
Dicko, sorry mate, Im not a Bourbon bloke, Bundy all the way, and I dont iron my shirts when I go barra fishing ;D
thanks for the post.

Ok, then we'll stretch that to 3 choices for breakfast. ;D

BR65
02-11-2009, 08:43 PM
Dunno Stuie, but at least you responded bloke - cheers

Steve B
02-11-2009, 08:49 PM
Dicko,

you still have the best avatar on Ausfish mate...I laugh everytime I read it!!!;D

Steve

Lovey80
02-11-2009, 08:52 PM
I'll often open a thread because of the tittle interested me an find the post had nothing to do with the title. Some do it to catch attention so people open it. The view count skyrockets when posters get involved in a discussion.

Cheers

Chris

BR65
02-11-2009, 09:01 PM
Thanks Chris, but what about the question mate.

Does a barra thread grab your attention, ya read it, but wont add input because.......?

Or no, a barra thread is just another thread, like where to buy reels from O.S. and its not adding to?

So far theres 3 posters that I know, Ive seen around the traps, so to speak, but I dont see on the freshwater boards much, specially the barra chat?
Why?
Is there to much banter/crap/ useless chat?

When I first looked at freshwater, I didnt add much, thought it was a bit of a 'closed house", with blokes heaps better than me posting.
Yeah, well thats crap, we are all fishos, just jump in boys and gals!

STUIE63
02-11-2009, 09:11 PM
I think it intests me but I don't dam fish and rarely barra fish so I don't normally have anything constructive too say but yeah it's interesting so I read it
there you go that is now 2 posts
Stuie

BR65
02-11-2009, 09:15 PM
Stuie, better still, its input mate, more the merrier, thanks!

TinarooTriumph
02-11-2009, 09:15 PM
I sometimes wonder if I'm on Facebook or Twitter when I'm reading some if these threads. Seriously. Now a few of you made the point about posting banter & good old fashioned chat in selected threads, but how many other threads from people who may be asking questions about different fish/locations/techniques could be lost? Barra threads seem to over-ride everything on this section of the forum, and thats not because 'barra are the flavour of the month' (thats debate-able), but most of the threads are just general chit chat and nothing too serious. Don't think for one minute I'm knocking this, because we all do it - but perhaps there is a better place to do this. MSN as Plastic_Magic suggested is a good example... you can have a single window open and be chatting to 30 odd people and run it like a mini forum. Can't do that on Facebook, Twitter, MySpace etc...

The recent 'I'd Be killed' thread is a fun, good honest thread ALL fisho's can get into... but how many will possibly look at it and go 'Oh no... its the barra boys again... I can't post here!'. Probably a few. There's a few more examples I can use.

Just my honest thoughts. Nothing un-toward

Regards
Theo

Steve B
02-11-2009, 09:22 PM
agree theo,
I thought the same when I read the title too!!!
Chris, change the title to 'the shed' or 'show us ya man cave':P....or 'where do you hide from the wife'!!!!;D

Steve

Dicko
02-11-2009, 09:26 PM
Dicko,

you still have the best avatar on Ausfish mate...I laugh everytime I read it!!!;D

Steve

Are you trying to chat me up ? :-*

lol,

I just like barra fishing, I don't add much as I don't fish the dams very often. Most of my time is in the rusty water. I only duck down to Faust once a year to rinse my gear off.

STUIE63
02-11-2009, 09:29 PM
doesn't the view count go up every time you go back on to read the responses ?
there I managed to post as well
Stuie
I have been watching the view count and this is a wrong statement by me
Stuie

Steve B
02-11-2009, 09:32 PM

lol,

I just like barra fishing, I don't add much as I don't fish the dams very often. Most of my time is in the rusty water. I only duck down to Faust once a year to rinse my gear off.

Dicko,

you can chuck salt barra tips in the fresh section....its all about the fish. lots of stuff crosses over, and its good info when we go salt barra fishing too...I look like heading NT next year for the first time in many years..I will need a salt water barra refresher course before then!!!:D
cheers Steve

BR65
02-11-2009, 09:36 PM
Nothing un-toward taken Theo, if I dont hear from every thread viewer, how will I know what is really wanted? So many viewer, so few posters.
I dunno what face book or twitter is, I get these invites on my email to join up, I just delete them, sounds like something 16 year old school girls do ;D

Thousands of views, but a lot less posters = a lot less input, mite become a bit one sided at times due to "shouters" I reckon?

Be nice if we could keep this one civil, relevant to the original question, and factual.

Should there be a sticky that is entitled "Help Me Catch An Impoundment Barra", what would you, or I, or others post? That is truly helpfull, un-biased, has no hiden agendas or and benefits the question asker?
I got nuthin, just a minnow in the pond, so I can put up what works for me.
Or would a link to another site be more apllicable for a new barra angler seking the good oil?
Should that be it.
Sticky - "How Do You Catch An Impoundment Barra" - reply - link to another site?

BR65
02-11-2009, 09:43 PM

lol,

Steve, for your sake I hope Dicko is really Miranda Kerr moon lighting on Ausfish to increase her Barra knowledge!

Obi _ Wan
02-11-2009, 09:46 PM
G'Day Brian, Mate you know me a hopelessly lost barra man with IBD that would derail the Tilt Train,

I obviously read this forum a lot and i post on most of the barra threads although i don't post in mass numbers on most threads. I just generally have my say and thats it, or say congratulations on the results. I do like to get involved with some of the more social threads, like organsing group trips be it at Mondy or else where and then reliving the experiences of those trips with the good mates that we have all made here on Ausfish.
Be that talking about paticular fish captures or losses, gear failure, new ideas etc, its all good stuff and really enjoyable.

I am not generally one who dominates a discussion or talk over someone else, if i do comment on a certain subject and some one else wants to argue about what i have said, i will drop out of the discussion, thats me, if they don't want to hear my experiences then i will keep them to myself. I am a great believer in our Hosts footnote (Thanks Steve Brown) which is, Arguing with an idiot only proves there are two. After all there is no one person that knows it all and all things are changing daily so i carry the philosophy that i can learn something from everyone, so i will have a chat to anyone, listen to what they have to say and put to use any thing that i may have learned from that chat.

I refuse to get involved in threads that are quite obviously personal and i believe they have no place here or on other forums, they actually disgust me.

Then getting back to your question, i am a person who does not normally have a lot to say, if somebody asks me something i will always do my utmost to help, but then again there are people on this forum that know way lot more than i do.

There you go mate, i have probably said too much already.

Cheers,
John.

Little grey men
02-11-2009, 09:49 PM
I read every barra thread I find, but very rarely reply because I simply don't know enough about these big silver beauties to make a worthwhile contribution to other readers. I read them to gather any scrap of information I can on a species I plan on stalking very soon.
Keep em comin'

NAGG
02-11-2009, 09:57 PM

Cheers

Thats a pretty fair call Lauchy ........ I can certainly understand where you are coming from:)

However

People see fishing web sites differently ...... some want it like a resource others as a place to generally chat about their chosen subject - while others use it as a platform for their own personal gain ...... then some just want to share their experiences ...... :)
With reference to this particular section ....... those that are regulars (be it vocal or silent) have become mates - & its here that topics can & do wonder..... & yes it can make it pretty difficult to find the answers that you might be looking for.
Now ...... there is a simple solution - POST THE QUESTION IN A NEW THREAD 8-) That way you will get an answer quickly ...... or at least steered in the right direction - - - - At least here , you usually wont have to wait 2 weeks to get an answer .
If you think you have something of value to share ...... and it is seen that way by all the members - It will stay at or near the top of the page .:)

I guess ..... with the banter - it can seem a little intimidating ...... lots of people who seem to be mates _ Its in part why we have musters , bashes , sessions ..... it allows those that feel intimidated , shy what ever to come along & meet those here.
As for the recent sarcasm ..... & references to alcohol - well , you know what the catalyst there was ::)

most of us enjoy these pages for what they are .......... There is another site which can be viewed as a reference centre - many are members of that site too but are generally drawn here .

cheers

chris

BR65
02-11-2009, 09:57 PM
John, how long before we see you around the bush telly mate?

Michael, no one knows everything about Ms Lates mate, jump in, add your thoughts based on bassing, you do extremly well in that field mate, its all relevant!

Obi _ Wan
02-11-2009, 10:05 PM
[quote=BR65;1091844]John, how long before we see you around the bush telly mate?

Hey Brian, My next appointment at the hospital is on the 26th of this month, hopefully the Doc will give me a clearance then.

So that means i would be looking at Mondy in the new year if there is any water left in it.

Cheers,
John.

BR65
02-11-2009, 10:07 PM
Now ...... there is a simple solution - POST THE QUESTION IN A NEW THREAD 8-)
chris

Or should there be a sticky - "How Do I catch An Impoundment Barra"

BR65
02-11-2009, 10:08 PM
[quote=BR65;1091844]John, how long before we see you around the bush telly mate?

Hey Brian, My next appointment at the hospital is on the 26th of this month, hopefully the Doc will give me a clearance then.

So that means i would be looking at Mondy in the new year if there is any water left in it.

Cheers,
John.

Put it up mate when your heading up, its your shout for a lemon aide!

BR65
02-11-2009, 10:09 PM
Un-known viewers (and not posters), I know your out there, jump in!

Dick Pasfield
02-11-2009, 10:34 PM
Young Mr Magic and Theo more or less summed up my thoughts to a large degree. Keeping the banter out of the techo threads as much as possible spurs my interest and will more likely prompt a response from me.

Anything focused on impoundments in particular also limits my opportunities to conjure a response.

2manylures
02-11-2009, 10:53 PM
Re: Have You Ever Read A Thread And Not Posted?

To me it's all about "fishing" not a particular species as so much is relevant to many species.

Am I the only one who noticed darylive changed the title of the thread ?

Good work ;D8-)

To answer the original question, YES many times for various reasons, some mentioned, some not:-X

NAGG
02-11-2009, 10:59 PM
Young Mr Magic and Theo more or less summed up my thoughts to a large degree. Keeping the banter out of the techo threads as much as possible spurs my interest and will more likely prompt a response from me.

Anything focused on impoundments in particular also limits my opportunities to conjure a response.

We certainly live for our Impoundment barra here Dick:) ....... As OBI_WAN said to me once ....... catching bass just doesn't quite cut it after you've fished barra :P - nor do bass / toga / yellas / sooties generate the same interest / passion...... around here
The exception is when we get together for a Toga bash at borumba or Bass session at Somerset ...... social gatherings & a bit of a change.

I guess Dick .... if we could experience what is in your back yard on a regular basis ---- well , things might be not so lop sided .

Mind you .... many here do some bassin or chase Jacks , reds - but there is still that draw to places that hold those big silver ladies.

Chris

Dick Pasfield
02-11-2009, 11:16 PM
I guess Dick .... If we could experience what is in your back yard on a regular basis ---- well , things might be not so lop sided .

Not fussed on the lob sided nature Nagg I'm here only because of that very reason but because of the differences my input when the good threads surface at times can be limited.

Pointyfish
02-11-2009, 11:29 PM
Brian , I'm one of the number your talking about. I live on the west coast and fish for saltwater barra every chance I get. I'm also applying for fly in/out work so I can move to the Sunny coast. When that happens , chasing your stocked barra will be a big part of my fishing.
At the moment I don't contribute because I don't really have much to add. I have no impoundment experience at all. I just read as much info as I can on areas and techniques so when I do move over , I will already have bit of an idea.
I think you are quiet fortunate to have so many people on this site who are willing to tell how, where and when they caught their fish. Hope they kept it up and hope one day soon I to will be telling stories of 120cm+ barra.

Cheers Shaun

anthony72
03-11-2009, 12:38 AM

I have to agree with everything mentioned above, i realy enjoy hearing about the top guys that catch fish on a consistant basis and learning what can I do differently every time I hit the water around Rocky or Awoonga and more importantly I will listen to everyone whenever I can as long as they seem they are genuine with their advice.

where i turn off on the internet is due to two things 1/ when the title gets me in initially and the content is totally different once you view the thread- 2/ another time is when the banter becomes personal and the replys are so intent to prove someone that they know better so the arguement becomes the point for the sake of it. I see enough of this at work and when it's on here I just tune off to it. An example: One recent thread was on plastics and modifications and the opening comment mentioned a heap of plastics-without association or sponsorship- Over the next 2 weeks I only used those plastics in dams and local rivers every lure I could buy locally caught me plenty of good fish in all sizes but I had to think about what lure and when to use each one -I only had these lures in my boat nothing else- by the time I could reply the thread turned into something else totally different two weeks later. So i turned the computer off and didn't reply. But before I closed down I sent the guy a personal message of huge thanks instead.

Plastic_Magic
03-11-2009, 06:07 AM
Thats a pretty fair call Lauchy ........ I can certainly understand where you are coming from:)

However

People see fishing web sites differently ...... some want it like a resource others as a place to generally chat about their chosen subject - while others use it as a platform for their own personal gain ...... then some just want to share their experiences ...... :)
With reference to this particular section ....... those that are regulars (be it vocal or silent) have become mates - & its here that topics can & do wonder..... & yes it can make it pretty difficult to find the answers that you might be looking for.
Now ...... there is a simple solution - POST THE QUESTION IN A NEW THREAD 8-) That way you will get an answer quickly ...... or at least steered in the right direction - - - - At least here , you usually wont have to wait 2 weeks to get an answer .
If you think you have something of value to share ...... and it is seen that way by all the members - It will stay at or near the top of the page .:)

I guess ..... with the banter - it can seem a little intimidating ...... lots of people who seem to be mates _ Its in part why we have musters , bashes , sessions ..... it allows those that feel intimidated , shy what ever to come along & meet those here.
As for the recent sarcasm ..... & references to alcohol - well , you know what the catalyst there was ::)

most of us enjoy these pages for what they are .......... There is another site which can be viewed as a reference centre - many are members of that site too but are generally drawn here .

cheers

chris

Chris mate i also understnad the above statment. But if we look at the Saltwater Thread section there are honest people talking about there passion and sharing experiences in a way were their still enjoy talking about there chosen subject but in the same way do not get carried away with the hype startin the Post into a very non-fishing related subject.

I am not here to to soak up every bit of imformation and give non back. I mainly post on here the help people the "WANT TO LEARN" about this great topic "BARRA". To see Posts of JM fall down the list so quickly while a other posts that dont even involve the Barra scene stay at the top is just pathetic. He does not have to post on this site and a result of being shit canned for not making his posts clear enough he has slowly dropped off. This is all the result of this section being slap happy. People like Dick, Lyndon, Theo etc (many more) knowledgeable fisherman alike many of us will be draw away form this section and posts from these guys will become even more scarce because of people having there ego in the way of there learning. As i say this is all just my own opinion and sharing what i have thought of this section over the last couple years.

Cheers Lachy

Apollo
03-11-2009, 06:25 AM
I must admit that I usually read the opening post of reports to see if there is info I can gleem from it, but tune out from there. Where the title suggests it is a non serious post (such as the Beer/Barra one - how wrong was I) I will sometimes join in the fun until it gets personal. As far as the how to type posts, I generally will read them but because of my lack of experience with barra, I won't post as I have nothing constructive to add.

I am not a fanatical barra person (probably might change if I could land a decent one), but good on those that are. Your passion, collective thinking, tinkering and experimentation is great to read, so please continue to post as some of this is transferrable to other species.

I must admit that I am not into the us v them thing that surfaces from time to time. Not my scene. I have made some good friends on here and I don't want to think that meeting and making more will be limited to where or for what I fish.

I work by the rule that if I won't say it to your face, I won't type it here.

Play nice
Steve

Tropicaltrout
03-11-2009, 07:06 AM
Great thread Brian, can I surgest that all the barra info on the impoundments goes into the already sticky Barra Diary.... Only thing is we need to keep the chatter off it and only info posts go on.... Also anyone heading up to Mondy Awoonga faust where ever what about a Photo Pictorial with GPS marks to help new folk locate areas of intrest....

Bear001
03-11-2009, 07:48 AM
I must admit that I usually read the opening post of reports to see if there is info I can gleem from it, but tune out from there. Where the title suggests it is a non serious post (such as the Beer/Barra one - how wrong was I) I will sometimes join in the fun until it gets personal. As far as the how to type posts, I generally will read them but because of my lack of experience with barra, I won't post as I have nothing constructive to add.

I am not a fanatical barra person (probably might change if I could land a decent one), but good on those that are. Your passion, collective thinking, tinkering and experimentation is great to read, so please continue to post as some of this is transferrable to other species.

I must admit that I am not into the us v them thing that surfaces from time to time. Not my scene. I have made some good friends on here and I don't want to think that meeting and making more will be limited to where or for what I fish.

I work by the rule that if I won't say it to your face, I won't type it here.

Play nice
Steve

This about sums me up too. Actually thanks Steve - that saves me a lot of typing!:)

I have never fished for barra, but still read to learn, as people have some great ideas that can apply to different types of fishing.

We are planning to work our way around Oz in 3yrs time - so I am 'doing official research'..lol:P

The information gained on this site is gold when it comes to either fishing for your own target species/location, or the one-off trips that involve the unkown.

Hmmmm............... the banter is also useful in showing the different personalities of people..........

Cindy

Pete62
03-11-2009, 08:12 AM
Brian, I read all Barra threads and post on most of them, usually by way of congratulations to the angler.

As a newbie to the Impoundment Barra scene I have gleaned most of my tactics and methods from the folk who post in these threads so having to wade through a few pages of banter is a small price to pay.

In regards to that, yes, we/I do waffle on in some of the threads but that is mainly because we as a group have become friends through different M&G's that have been staged and that familiarity may be seen by others as steering the origional thread onto another or less useful path.

I for one would not enjoy Ausfish as much if it was soley an information based forum.

Pete.

NAGG
03-11-2009, 08:50 AM
Chris mate i also understnad the above statement. But if we look at the Saltwater Thread section there are honest people talking about there passion and sharing experiences in a way were their still enjoy talking about there chosen subject but in the same way do not get carried away with the hype starting the Post into a very non-fishing related subject.

I am not here to to soak up every bit of information and give non back. I mainly post on here the help people the "WANT TO LEARN" about this great topic "BARRA". To see Posts of JM fall down the list so quickly while a other posts that dont even involve the Barra scene stay at the top is just pathetic. He does not have to post on this site and a result of being shit canned for not making his posts clear enough he has slowly dropped off. This is all the result of this section being slap happy. People like Dick, Lyndon, Theo etc (many more) knowledgeable fisherman alike many of us will be draw away form this section and posts from these guys will become even more scarce because of people having there ego in the way of there learning. As i say this is all just my own opinion and sharing what i have thought of this section over the last couple years.

Cheers Lachy

Hi Lachy

If I may , I will give my thoughts on the highlighted bits .

*In my opinion ...... most that post here contribute in one way or another to the learning process (sharing experiences & opinions) - Any reference to those that soak up information with out contributing ..... well I think they are known as LURKERS
*When someone like JM posts some information / ideas etc .... most here take note & acknowledge what he says - He is highly regarded & we are appreciative of his input........ as for where those threads end up ( thats up to the members or we can always request a sticky thread)
* slap happy ..... maybe! ... but this group continues to grow - & I would dare say in part due to the light hearted nature of the people involved. No one ever should feel out of place or the feel the need to watch what they say........... Everyone is entitled to an opinion.
*Egos :-/ ( if you mean that putting up fishing reports..... means ego --- Then I have an ego _ Yes there is certainly self satisfaction after any successful trip..... sharing those trips with others adds to the learning - & while not visible .... the PMs & phone calls are a daily occurrence) I'm sure a bloke like Steve B can attest to that.
Other than that .... I cant remember too many instances of chest beating in the freshwater chat section......

Anyhow ..... thats my opinion

Chris

PS .... This would be a much sadder place if it became a sterile & clinical chat site _ It would loose much of the appeal :(

Peter4
03-11-2009, 09:03 AM
It was only after I joined in 2006 that, through Ausfish, I discovered that there were impoundment barra a few short hours drive from Brisbane. So I hooked up the boat, talked my son into coming along and hit Monduran for the first time in October 2006. We had no idea and, as a result, we got nuthin'...

From that humble and uneducated beginning we have learned, changed and improved our fishing as a direct result of the information given freely on this forum. In addition we have had the pleasure of meeting and socialising with many of the contributors....

I now avidly read all threads about impoundment barra fishing whether they be informative or just friendly banter. Sometimes there are some hidden gems amongst the friendly banter! I don't always post or thank a thread if I feel I don't have anything to add. I also refuse to contribute to any threads that involve personal attacks or contain hidden agendas (if possible)...

Like many others, Kyle & I have caught IBD but are resticted to 3, 4 or 5 trips a year to the barra impoundments. Because conditions change so quickly and we have limited fishing opportunities, this forum again becomes invaluable.

I'm happy for Ausfish to remain as it is......;)

Regs

Pete

Plastic_Magic
03-11-2009, 09:20 AM
Hi Lachy

If I may , I will give my thoughts on the highlighted bits .

*In my opinion ...... most that post here contribute in one way or another to the learning process (sharing experiences & opinions) - Any reference to those that soak up information with out contributing ..... well I think they are known as LURKERS
*When someone like JM posts some information / ideas etc .... most here take note & acknowledge what he says - He is highly regarded & we are appreciative of his input........ as for where those threads end up ( thats up to the members or we can always request a sticky thread)
* slap happy ..... maybe! ... but this group continues to grow - & I would dare say in part due to the light hearted nature of the people involved. No one ever should feel out of place or the feel the need to watch what they say........... Everyone is entitled to an opinion.
*Egos :-/ ( if you mean that putting up fishing reports..... means ego --- Then I have an ego _ Yes there is certainly self satisfaction after any successful trip..... sharing those trips with others adds to the learning - & while not visible .... the PMs & phone calls are a daily occurrence) I'm sure a bloke like Steve B can attest to that.
Other than that .... I cant remember too many instances of chest beating in the freshwater chat section......

Anyhow ..... thats my opinion

Chris

PS .... This would be a much sadder place if it became a sterile & clinical chat site _ It would loose much of the appeal :(

Chris Yes i agree with you in more then many ways. It just sometimes goes further then just a bit of banter and social chat. Maybe a new section should be opened so we can enjoy thesocial chat and banter and leave the freshwater section for the persons who would like to be imformed about the Barra scene.

In regards to the "EGO" of many angulars yes EGO is apart of everybodys fishing ways and they are entitled to this. But i must say that there have been many incedents were people (NO NAMES) have tried to help teach and build on others skills. Then then these people have tried and used this imformation then gone and mentioned that they "Did this, Done that" and took the credit for themselves not mentioning that they were given the imformation via another persons resource. I have EGO yes we all do we all are set in ways but when we learn we need to give credit to the people that have spent numerous more days then us on the water trialin and testing these ways.

As i have mentioned i think people that use this section need to realise what this section is all about. The light hearted banter is fine and i agree i like joining in but it needs to be seprate to the important imformation, mainly for the New anglers so that they dont become engulfed with this huge task to sort through just to find bits and peices to help them catch a fish.

Good topic,

Cheers Lachlan

Steve B
03-11-2009, 09:43 AM

As i have mentioned i think people that use this section need to realise what this section is all about. The light hearted banter is fine and i agree i like joining in but it needs to be seprate to the important imformation, mainly for the New anglers so that they dont become engulfed with this huge task to sort through just to find bits and peices to help them catch a fish.

Good topic,

Cheers Lachlan[/quote]

I totally agree with his passage Lachy.

mabey we could bump a few selected awesome learning threads....and roll with the info on there....It might not stay on the orginal topic, but as long as it remains relevant to fishing and learning.....no banter!! and bump 1 or 2 banter/general chat threads....There is often serveral threads talking about pretty much the same things, so arrow down the threads a bit, the rest will just slide away....and of course, if any new interesting topics about ANY fresh species needs to be asked...start a thread then, by whoever wants to know.

Just a thought

Steve

matt fraser
03-11-2009, 10:18 AM
I reckon there are a heap of barra anglers out there, that read most of what goes on here but never get involved. I'm surprised to walk into a tackle shop or run into guys at the boat ramp and they know all about my latest barra trip, because I've posted it here.

Nothing wrong with soaking up the info here, thats how I've learnt a heap in the past couple of years. Initially I didn't post much either. But I read and learnt, not just about tackle and techniques, but also about the anglers themselves. You can tell a lot about a person by how they write.

I'm happy to say I've met some great people from Ausfish, There is definitely a core group of barra nuts here, I've gotten to know and meet a few, but I'm going to make an effort to get to the Muster next year to meet a few more.

I can see how there might be a few keen barra anglers out there, who might not feel confident to post a report, or reply to a thread. But it is a great way to learn more and share your experiences.

If you've read this far you probably have the following issues:

1. Fairly severe IBD or other barra affliction
2. You live too far from a barra dam
3. You have too much time on your hands, or are stuck at work and bludging.

There is little you can do about 1 & 2, so I hope you are learning something here for your next trip. If you've been barra fishing lately please post a report, (with pics) because personally I'd rather read reports than this dribble, wouldn't you?

But this dribble isn't too bad, I hope it gets more of you silent Ausfishers to get your hand off it (the mouse that is) and unleash the keyboard;)

Cheers,

Matt

DEANO68
03-11-2009, 10:37 AM
the way i see it is to look at the title of the thread, this one , the beer n barra one , what cheeses me off and abuse.....you sorta know its all or most of it is going to be exactly that...where as the threads like the spin gear one, plastic mods ect ect, do mainly contain very valuable info from many highly respected fishos as well as findings from the people who only get to visit these dams a few times a year, but are testing and learnig every chance they get on the water, with very little banter..
i read all threads , post on most, and yes love a bit of banter and abuse among freinds...mates that i have met on this site and now fish with regulary...
peter4 summed it up perfectly, im in the same boat, whithout the info and (freinds)that i have attained from this site i may not have kept fishing the dams, first two trips with not a scale, driving round aimlessly, trolling, casting to nothingness...hell a may not have even come back let alone buy a boat also..

im happy with this site the way it is, and if you want no banter there is another site with alot less of it and plenty of great info...

deano...8-)

robersl
03-11-2009, 10:52 AM
G,Day Brian
great thread mate,i used to read and post more in the rusty section than in the freshwater side but now i seem to be in here more than not however my deckie from the weekend reads all the posts to learn ,but does not respond due to his typing ability and spelling the english words as he is polish but i told him to start posting and not worry about the spelling

shane

rc@hinze
03-11-2009, 01:28 PM
Yes Brian, i read all but do not always add to threads because of several reasons. What i could contribute is already said, I feel I have nothing to contribute on the particular thread or have a lack of confidence on the subject at hand or simply don't feel a need to.

I know that as life goes on, the less I know about many subjects fishing included especially in the seemingly precise field of bass and barra fishing. I love barra and bass fishing and have only been into it for some 3 years. I am lucky to make to the barra impoundments more than twice a year but I absolutely love it and look forward to it. I joined Ausfish as a learning oppurtunity initially and have learnt that there are also many characters and great people on here and its been great to meet some of them since joining.

I also agree with Plastic, Dick and Theo and feel sometimes especially for newbies that they could be put off a bit by all the friendly banter that goes on. Looking for the other chat areas this freshwater section is a bit unique at how it carries on. There are a lot of good mates on here and it is easy to see how it all becomes a bit familiar.

I also have tried at times to start what I felt were interesting threads and basically they just die which then discourages further inputs. Other guys have said the same to me.

I do love the Ausfish site and especially this freshwater section and all my family knows the names of the regulars on here and joke about my invisible friends. I think Brian that us irregular posters are not trying to be rude or just take from the forum, but we are just different personalities. Seeing all the characters on here and getting to know them via their posts, it actually reminds a lot of being back at school at times education, laughs, personalities and friendship.

Also I am a lousy typer and speller and I have to read and re-read my posts many times before pressing the button so it takes ages to contribute something. I was also taught that I have 2 ears and 1 mouth and I should use them in that proportion. Anyway I have definatly said something now!

No offence to anyone intended - just my honest thoughts shared amongst friends.

- cheers all - Richard

darylive
03-11-2009, 02:28 PM
Thanks Chris, but what about the question mate.

Why?
Is there to much banter/crap/ useless chat?

!

Thousands of views, but a lot less posters = a lot less input, mite become a bit one sided at times due to "shouters" I reckon?

Be nice if we could keep this one civil, relevant to the original question, and factual.

There is a sticky Barra Diary

I am a great believer in our Hosts footnote (Thanks Steve Brown) which is, Arguing with an idiot only proves there are two.

I refuse to get involved in threads that are quite obviously personal and i believe they have no place here or on other forums, they actually disgust me.

Cheers,
John.

I read every barra thread I find, but very rarely reply because I simply don't know enough about these big silver beauties to make a worthwhile contribution to other readers. I read them to gather any scrap of information I can on a species I plan on stalking very soon.
Keep em comin'

Mate if you want answers please ask questions. Seriously some of the best posts on here are as a result of some asking a question. Start a Thread with a question and you get everyone's attention and hopefully we all gain something.

Keeping the banter out of the techo threads as much as possible spurs my interest and will more likely prompt a response from me.

I don't contribute because I don't really have much to add. I have no impoundment experience at all. I just read as much info as I can on areas and techniques so when I do move over , I will already have bit of an idea.

Cheers Shaun

Shaun you can see the crap that goes on here.
Please ask questions to generate worthwhile posts.

NAGG, 'STALKERS' ?
Not everyone wants to mix it with the main stream. Especially when they read some of the attitudes that surface on here and who could blame them.

There is a lot to be said for keeping to yourself if that is you thing but you can still take what you want from this site and contribute if you wish. Did I mention ask questions to give these IBD sufferers something to talk about. Because they will continue to post whether they have a good topic or not ::)

Andrew M
03-11-2009, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the push Brian. I,m like a lot of others who visit this forum in that I know bugger all about Barra fishing, but am keen to learn. With only my second Barra trip to Mondy coming up in a few weeks time I am on here as much as possible soaking up as much info as I can. I enjoy reading all the threads on Ausfish, but the Barra threads do seem to bring out some personalities::)

Keep up the good work people,a lot of us enjoy the banter.

Cheers Andrew

NAGG
03-11-2009, 04:45 PM
Please ask questions to generate worthwhile posts.

NAGG, 'STALKERS' ?
Not everyone wants to mix it with the main stream. Especially when they read some of the attitudes that surface on here and who could blame them.

There is a lot to be said for keeping to yourself if that is you thing but you can still take what you want from this site and contribute if you wish. Did I mention ask questions to give these IBD sufferers something to talk about. Because they will continue to post whether they have a good topic or not ::)

Sure there are some strong personalities on here - Is that good thing or bad thing :-/ - I actually think that it is 80% good because it does ensure that discussions will be buoyant and interesting. There would be nothing worst than having a situation where topics stall because no one is willing to offer a differing opinion or alternative viewpoint.........

The negative is that you do get newcomers that would be intimidated or not feel that they will be able to contribute. Those that do join in are usually welcomed & encouraged............ just look at how many joined in at the various gatherings.

Chris

PS ..... Dont think that the negative stuff just happens here on freshwater chat:-X - Just look up Etec Vs threads in boating ...... or C&R Vs Kill & fillet in Salt water chat - or Introduction of a fishing licence in General chat.;) plenty more out there too

rooboy98
03-11-2009, 06:42 PM
G'day,

I'll admit to being a mad fresh water barra fisho, however where I fish the fish are usually no where near the magic metre mark so I don't bother to post.

I enjoy reading the tips and reports though and one day I'll give this dam barra fishing thing a serious go and see what all the fuss is about :P .

Cheers,
Roo.

dirkpittau
03-11-2009, 08:24 PM
Yes Brian I spend a great deal of time going over various threads on this site. Many of my views have already been posted. The one major objection I have is the lack of humility of some of the posters. This site attracts some of the best fishos around and some that think they are the best fishos around. Maybe we should all focus on contributing those small factors that make up the solution to catching these great fish consistently. Many times I have come back from a trip to Mondy thinking that I need to find another piece in the puzzle, that is when I visit this site and look for contributions from those fishos that really know what they are doing. Don't take this the wrong way guys we all have something to contribute, it is more how the message is delivered that is the real issue. Take Obi wan's comments, he takes it so far then backs out, he knows how to operate. Brian also has plenty to say but only when it is relevant. I think some of the posters should think before posting. Just my two bobs worth. :-/

Big_Ren
04-11-2009, 03:23 PM
Didn't quite know what to say Brian, but I had to post;)

Sometimes I'll gloss over a thread if I'm short on time....in those instances I generally won't post in case I regurgitate the comments of 25 others.

Other times I'm more than happy to contribute if it adds value in some way.

No hard and fast rules for me. I reply if I want to, or feel the need to, or can contribute positively, or to engage in banter.

Plenty of friends made through these forums that is for sure, and that is one of the things I treasure most.

Cheers
Paul

Barry Ehsman
04-11-2009, 04:19 PM
I will admit that i am a reader of these threads but i joined Ausfish to learn & boy have i learned heaps...
I do reply to threads & have sent PMs to find out more info ( thanks Chris),,

Trouble is i live to far away & can do only 1 trip a year but i really do enjoy reading all of these threads...

thanks to all Baz

Whitto
04-11-2009, 04:50 PM
Didn't quite know what to say Brian, but I had to post;)

Sometimes I'll gloss over a thread if I'm short on time....in those instances I generally won't post in case I regurgitate the comments of 25 others.

Other times I'm more than happy to contribute if it adds value in some way.

No hard and fast rules for me. I reply if I want to, or feel the need to, or can contribute positively, or to engage in banter.

Plenty of friends made through these forums that is for sure, and that is one of the things I treasure most.

Cheers
PaulMy sentiments entirely Paul.....There is no point in repeating what has already been said......If I have something to contribute I will.......The pickings have been a bit slim lately, my last trip was in June.....I think I'll have to do a quickie before the February trip (Too long to wait).;D

vet
04-11-2009, 06:42 PM
I don't post much because I'm usually out at the dam fishing and by the time I read a new thread it has 40 posts on it and is just about dead in the water. Take this thread for example.
cheers scott.

StevenM
04-11-2009, 07:00 PM
Yep

cause its just not bass or toga or cod.

Robbo76
05-11-2009, 10:53 AM
Alrighty then, i'll jump in. I'm kinda on par with Little grey men, don't know enough about barra fishin to contribute. I'm more of a reef person, but I do enjoy reading the odd barra thread. Also learning a lot about barra fishing along the way.

As for a thread on "how to catch inpoundment barra", bloody good idea I reckon! I've got tinaroo not too far from me, and I just can't seem to get a barra out of it.

All the best,
Rob

NAGG
08-11-2009, 08:03 AM
Alrighty then, i'll jump in. I'm kinda on par with Little grey men, don't know enough about barra fishin to contribute. I'm more of a reef person, but I do enjoy reading the odd barra thread. Also learning a lot about barra fishing along the way.

As for a thread on "how to catch inpoundment barra", bloody good idea I reckon! I've got tinaroo not too far from me, and I just can't seem to get a barra out of it.

All the best,
Rob

Hi Rob

There is an old saying

"If you dont ask - you dont get!" and you're the type of person that can benefit by posting :) aside from having switched on Tinaroo locals who are members here & may offer some direct support / advice :) some of the best discussions come from the depths of despair situations or when things are not going to plan.

Sometimes - someone could be on the right track & its just a matter of time - or it just may take a slight adjustment or realignment - and your onto fish.

I'm pretty certain you'll get some help if you ask.

Cheers

Chris

darylive
08-11-2009, 08:24 PM
I will admit that i am a reader of these threads but i joined Ausfish to learn & boy have i learned heaps...
I do reply to threads & have sent PMs to find out more info ( thanks Chris),,

Trouble is i live to far away & can do only 1 trip a year but i really do enjoy reading all of these threads...

thanks to all Baz

Baz that is the beuty of this, it doesn't matter where you are.

DOH! Posted Again :-/