PDA

View Full Version : etec ho please explain

surveyor
02-11-2009, 04:57 PM
Hi Guys read most of the posts and the net but still confused as to what the etec HO differs in use and application to the standard im talking of compering a 200ho to 200 to 225 my hull is about 1100kg and 6.4 meters .Also is all the negative talk just a beat up or do they really have a higher rate of issues ,there are certainly plenty out there thanks for your thoughts

Skusto
02-11-2009, 05:04 PM
the etec H.O pushes the 10% margin on the rated horse power. so say its a 150 H.O in terms it really is about 165hp the push the boundaries of the 10%. this is from what i have read other people can correct me if im wrong. the 10% margin works for every outboard apparently the 150 yamaha is actually 162hp, and the suzuki 140 is really only about 127hp.

stinky-stabi
02-11-2009, 07:36 PM
H.O ..high output....m8 they have as many issue's as any other motor on the market ...little or none.....and the major issue is that they are as good if not better to own than a four banger,,,,lololololol
just wait'n for the bites now ...lololol

siegfried
02-11-2009, 08:32 PM
WHAT, come on Stink we all know ebombs have more issues then a schitzo ex girlfriend, what you on about boy;D

Wayne_Red
02-11-2009, 09:06 PM
Hi Surveyor
From what I have read they were developed to give the rated hp + 10% where boats with rated hp can get some extra power and stay within insurance policy guidelines. All motors can be stated hp + or - 10% depending on the manufacturer. As an example the etec 115HO and 130 are the same engine, same cowl, tuned exhaust etc etc but if your boat is only rated to115 you can go with the HO and have the power of a 130.
Regards Wayne

Jabba_
03-11-2009, 08:38 AM
As mentioned the HO pushes the 10% rule in favor off extra HP.... All the HO motors except the 200HO run taller gear ratios and a sleeker gearbox to reduce drag in the water.... None off the HO's (except the 200HO) can be switched to run on the reduced XD100 oil ratio...

In the way of the 2.5l 200, 3.3lt 200 HO and 3.3lt 225

The 2.5l 200 is producing a bit less then 200hp.. But it is very light compared to the 3.3l version...

The 3.3l 200 HO is not a real HO, as in perfromance speak.... It called a HO to distinguish it from it's smaller counter part..... The 200HO put out about 220hp and has heaps more torque the the little 200,,, hence the HO name tag....... The 225 put out 230hp..

The 200HO can be ordered with either the racing HO style gear case or standard gear case... When the 200 HO is ordered with the standard gear case, the XD100 oil ratio is unlocked and can run the the reduced xd100 ratio.... Al tho it still needs to be set by the dealer that is rigging your motor other wise it will be on the default ST-WC oil ratio setting...

The reason the HO can not run on the XD100 ratio is because most HO's usually go on to race boats or bass boats... Those boat spend most off the time at WOT (wide open throttle) Flat out)... So BRP want these motors to have extra oil protection when there running at 6000rpm for extended periods off time...
Compared to a normal boater/fisherman who spend 99% off there time at around 4000rpm...

Noelm
03-11-2009, 08:47 AM
well done Jabba, that's a true explaination of the HO, (I was just about to post something similar) the gear ratio seems quite insignificant, but the gears make or break a motor when it comes to high performance especially.

surveyor
03-11-2009, 09:25 AM
Thanks guys especially jabba that is the clearest desription ive heard:D :D .the dealers have not been able /willing to explain it at all which has been a bit of a worry.Now what difference does the extra oil make is it just cost or the talk that they wont troll(oil up????) that is the issue.Also there are a few deals on 2007 stock from a couple of dealers are there any issues or changes over the last few years thanks

Jabba_
03-11-2009, 11:14 AM
If your like myself and like and most other boaters/fisherman the XD100 oil setting is the way to go... The oil (XD100) cost about $70 gallon... The advantage is not a money saving advantage, it is more a nasal saving advantage...

On the XD100 oil ratio setting you will use less oil,, but the oil is a bit dearer, hence it's not much of a $$ saver..
Because off the ingredients that go into making the XD100 it is one off the best lubricating oil, if not the best on the market..

I spend most off summer trolling at 1800rpm for up to 10hrs straight,, with XD100 you will not foul a plug.. XD100 is Nil ash and leaves virtually no carbon deposit..
Best thing is it has next to no smell when trolling down wind.... Don't confuse that with no smell, as all combustion engines produce fumes.... But when your 2st is running at 200/1 oil ratio while trolling and has a clean and complete burn, the smell of 2st oil is extremely faint... I personally can not tell the difference between a 2st and 4st when trolling, both smell like the fumes from the back off a car....

So the advantages XD100 are...........
It's a better lubricating oil, Hence it can run a leaner oil ratio..
You use less..
There for it smell less.
It's the cleanest burning oil on the market, leaves virtually no carbon deposits.
It won't foul your plugs at low rpms over any length off period..

Disadvantage...
It costs more per liter...

ozbee
03-11-2009, 12:29 PM
the ho develop the higher power on less cubes which is why they are sought after on light boats .the down side is they have less torque because of the less cubes . so less lifting power , for all-round boating other than bass or racing you are better of with the standard motor as you will have the horsepower and torque for your boat . the downside is weight and slightly more fuel usage but not much more than a fourstroke.

Noelm
03-11-2009, 12:45 PM
so then the 2.5l 200 has less cubes than the 3.3l 200HO?

Jabba_
03-11-2009, 02:06 PM
the ho develop the higher power on less cubes which is why they are sought after on light boats .the down side is they have less torque because of the less cubes . so less lifting power , for all-round boating other than bass or racing you are better of with the standard motor as you will have the horsepower and torque for your boat . the downside is weight and slightly more fuel usage but not much more than a fourstroke.

Thats not correct The HO E-tec's are

The 115 HO has the same CC as the 115 and 130 standard E-tec, being 1.7lt..
The 150 HO has the same CC as the 150, 175 and 200 standard E-tec, 2.5lt..
The 200HO and 225HO has the same CC as the 225 and 250 standard E-tec, 3.3lt
The 250 HO has the same CC as the 300 standard E-tec,, 3.4lt

surveyor
03-11-2009, 02:16 PM
Hey Jabba
was there any issues or changes from the 2007 to latest model the dealer said it would have the latest software upgrade .,so with the xd100 oil change would u the 200Ho be any different to operate than a 225 (notHO)(bar the 10 odd hp)

Jabba_
03-11-2009, 06:56 PM
This is taken from the E-tec owners forum..

The improved fuel injectors are called the "ball in plunger" or BIP injectors. This refers to some internal changes in the injector design which added or modified some check valves. These injectors were phased in during 2008 on some models, but are now used on all 2009 engines.
In addition to the mechanical internal changes, the new injectors also have more coefficients. The coefficients are terms or factors in a complex equation that describes how the injector behaves and how much fuel it injects. By adding more coefficients to the injectors, BRP can permit its engines to have more precise control over them. Each injector is tested and its flow rate measured to establish its coefficients. Then each motor is programmed with the individual coefficients of the injectors used in its assembly. Then the Engine Management Module (EMM) in each engine operates the injectors according to their coefficients to produce the best engine performance.
There now appear to be 33 coefficients associated with each injector! (An engine history report for an E-TEC obtained with ver.3.0 diagnostic software shows all 33 coefficients for each BIP injector.) To accommodate the additional data and computations, the EMM was increased in power and memory in some models.

Surveyor... Personally if I were buying another new E-tec I would not buy old stock.. 3 reasons
2010 models now have a 5 year warranty. The older stock only has a 3 year warranty from the date off purchase ...

BIP injectors are a better injector...

2008 and onward can be retro fitted with Icon controls... 2007 and older can not.. The EMM in the 08 models has more computing power.....

Also there was a lot off bad injectors in the 07 models.... I had 2 injectors go on me at 19hrs, I then had contianamated fuel (water and rust which is not fault off the injector) go through and rooted another injector at 215hrs... Lesson learnt,,, I now run a racor with a clear bowl so I can inspect for water and debrie if it's passing the filter......

surveyor
03-11-2009, 07:35 PM
Jabba and guys
thanks for the info clear and concise its great to be able to get this info that is explained clearly and makes sense(yay ausfish) I wish the dealers were as forthcoming and helpful
Cheers