PDA

View Full Version : A message from Ecofishers Queensland.

Lucky_Phill
02-11-2009, 08:08 AM
G’day ladies and gentlemen,

I hope most of you are aware of Ecofishers Queensland. This organization has grown in strength and size very fast and is now recognized by the Government Departments that encompass recreational Fishing in Queensland and indeed Australia.

We have many individual members as well as clubs that support our endeavours. We work with various Government and non-Government committees to assist in bringing together, commonsense outcomes for recreational anglers here in Queensland.

We are also a member of Marine Queensland, a private association made up of stakeholders within the recreational and commercial fishing industry in Queensland. Marine Queensland is a very strong voice in our fishing community.

I hope you are all well aware of the changes that have taken place of the last few years in relation to fishing within Queensland. Zoning, Bag Limits, Size Limits, Seasonal Closures, Fin Clipping, Crab Sizes, Dilly Bans and much much more. In fact way too much for the average recreational angler to ingest. Be advised folks, there are more changes on the way, and they are proposed to be much more restrictive than you could imagine.

Ecofishers is making headway, but now need further support. What we really need is people…. sure, membership assists with the financial side of things, but people to do things is the key. Our committee is small but gets a lot done and with our growth these people need assistance.

Do you fit the bill ?

1. Recreational angler
2. Concerned about the future of rec angling
3. Prepared to put in a little time towards achieving better outcomes
4. Have some computer skills and organizational skills
5. Like to find out what goes on behind the scenes

It doesn’t really matter what area you live in throughout Queensland, we are State wide and in fact are still looking for people from all areas, both saltwater and fresh to be recreational fishing ambassadors.

Want to make a difference…. ?........ http://www.ecofishersqld.org.au/

Visit the website, outlay $10 and become a member then email Andy or Chris and tell them you are here to make a difference, you are here to help.

Chris Ryan…….. president@ecofishersqld.org.au

Andy Pearson……. secretary@ecofishersqld.org.au

Myself and Ecofishers Queensland would like to thank Ausfish and its members for their support.

Regards

Phill

NEWBY
09-11-2009, 07:22 AM
As you know mate, i am a very quiet and unassuming person who prefers to sit in the background and say little...Yeah Right EH???;D

F,,,,,K It...I have sent an email to Chris...
I look at where all this is heading and I have much to say...This PEW group needs a bullet....The greenies are running riot and there are so many radical minority groups that are having WAY too much to say about what I do and how I do it even WHEN I do it with my fanily... Closures, zoning, threats, etc etc...
YEP, time for Newby to stick his hand up and join the cause....
who knows, Might even get me a green scalp...;) Just kiddin (maybe);D

Bloody hell Phil, evertime I get involved with you something goes wrong....

Lucky_Phill
09-11-2009, 08:16 AM
Thanks Newby,

with over 200 views and one response, I feel that the old enemy is knocking at the door again.

Apathy seems to be sneaking into our culture.

Don't worry folks, someone else will do the work. :o :-/

cheers.

FNQCairns
09-11-2009, 09:59 AM
Phil are you an official spokesperson for the organisation? If so and without any backdoor politics/ slimy tear down tactics or malice on my behalf I have a few questions that I cannot answer any other way but mainly this one below in an attempt to fine it down somewhat.

What is ecofish's political stance toward those they will represent??, the Moreton bay alliance expected fairness but got walked over, the GBR green zone lockouts - the anglers quazi political tactics to counter it was to in principle agree with the proposal, in the vain hope that they could win something back (hat in hand) and got totally walked over, the GSS more of the same I understand...in short no consideration or ground was given by government and NGOs outside of their original ideology, will ECO pander to the same political posturing that history now proves was a waste of time and effort.

We do not want another Sunfish type group that plays the game as if they imagine they are already in parliament or at the top of their game. Will they have the (on the record) balls to stand up for the average angler to the degree we have missed out on so far ie no 3/4 shafts as appropriate....to simply say NO WAY and only NO WAY when it is appropriate....I personally am sick of getting walked over or settling when a 100% NO WAY IN HELL UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE was the only reasonable, supportable or ideological credible stance.

When we settle we leave nowhere to go, sick of the sandpit moderates playing the politics of those on the gym equipment, doing us all over from the get go.

In short what is the official political position of this organisation.... as gullible as the MB alliance was shown to be but now representing Anglers only or worse even....what Sunfish is/can only ever be.

cheers fnq

Didley
09-11-2009, 11:18 AM
Phill, a little friendly advice, change the name, the fishos I've spoken to on this, that would be your target for membership, are put off by "Ecofishers" it sounds like a group of fly fishes in some wilderness area. And "Save Our Bay" would be a group of placard carrying residents at Manly isn't it? Your representing the rights of the grassroots fisherman who's feeling pushed around by government, get a name that appeals to them.

Love Dids

Scott nthQld
09-11-2009, 11:30 AM
Phill, a little friendly advice, change the name, the fishos I've spoken to on this, that would be your target for membership, are put off by "Ecofishers" it sounds like a group of fly fishes in some wilderness area. And "Save Our Bay" would be a group of placard carrying residents at Manly isn't it? Your representing the rights of the grassroots bay fisherman who's feeling pushed around by government, get a name that appeals to them.

Love Dids

Didley, Ecofishers is 'supposed' to be state wide, hence why it needs to appeal to the broader audience, not just SEQ Bay anglers.

PADDLES
09-11-2009, 11:37 AM
gotta disagree with ya there didley. it might sound a little airy fairy to the old boys, but the name isn't there to make us fishos/boaties feel all warm and fuzzy mate, it's there to gain acceptance in the wider community. and i reckon it describes accurately what they are trying to do, promote responsible and ecologically sound fishing and boating and also defend our playground from those who would like to dirty it and then blame us.

i for one reckon politics should be left to the politicians fnq, and not us fishos/boaties, but that's just my opinion mate. we're good at lying about the size of fish we've caught and not much else.

Lucky_Phill
09-11-2009, 11:44 AM
Dids,

IMO....... if someone judges a book by their cover, more fool them. A simple phone call, email, google a website will inform them. Image when someone said if you want to find something on the www.. (http://www..). type in google ???? :o ::)

But, thanks for your opinion and mentioning ECOfishers in general social circles.

FNQ,

I actually understood most of your post :) I am but a simple fishermen and words with 3 syllables or more get me flustered.... ;D

Where does ECOfishers stand.......politically......... no where. We will support a government that supports us. BUT, we distance ourselves from the political perspective.

As ECOfishers has morphed from Save Our Bay Association, we still hold the same values and moral stance that we showed in our 3...yes 3... public demonstrations here in Brisbane.

We did not and still do not support the MBMP zonings. We support any legitimate policy and legislation that assists our fishery Queensland wide.

The AFLP and Sunfish do their thing. ECOfishers have choosen the independant path so no " external " influences can alter our direction.

What we lack at the moment in funding, we more than make up with passion and a desire to not only see these tough times through, but to enhance the fishery and lifestyle that is associated with it.

There is no doubt we had an impact in the last election, as 3 MP's will now lament. 8-)

I am not an official spokesperson for ECOfishers Qld. I am a founding member of ECOfishers and SOBA Inc. My current role is assistant secretary.

My past role was secretary, I was also secterary of SOBA Inc, I was also a member of AFLP and TPQ, but politics is a dirty game and I am not prepared to go down that path again, nor are my fellow members.

ALL....IMO.

Cheers Phill

Didley
09-11-2009, 11:56 AM
if someone judges a book by their cover, more fool them. Good line Phill, but we all do that every day, it's human nature.

A simple phone call, email, google a website will inform them. The vast majority are not going to make that call.

Image when someone said if you want to find something on the www.. (http://www..). type in google ???? :o ::) I don't understand that!

But, thanks for your opinion and mentioning ECOfishers in general social circles. I do it regularly Phill, it's my pleasure.

Lucky_Phill
09-11-2009, 12:02 PM
the google reference was aimed at the " finding things.. used to be yellow pages or encyclopedia ? but people change and adapt.

phill

FNQCairns
09-11-2009, 01:12 PM
Yeah fair enough Phil but no banana yet on any answers - possibly there is none?

I probably did use the word political out of it's rigid context I guess I should have used corporate policy instead.....struggling here.

I am seriously considering the option of joining otherwise I wouldn't ask.

To fine further the hoped for answer -

I just dunno where, what for and on what - within the possible scale of angler representation eco designs itself to fit. So far in Australia we have yet to see any lobby/industry organisation that didn't first look after it's self and then at best pander directly into the hands of those we needed protection from.

Most often and so far in history the wider angling community badly needs protection from our official angler representatives, for the very same reason they where allowed to hold a portion of the regulators ear in the first place.

cheers fnq

Lucky_Phill
09-11-2009, 04:05 PM
Yeah fair enough Phil but no banana yet on any answers - possibly there is none?

I probably did use the word political out of it's rigid context I guess I should have used corporate policy instead.....struggling here.

I am seriously considering the option of joining otherwise I wouldn't ask.

To fine further the hoped for answer -

I just dunno where, what for and on what - within the possible scale of angler representation eco designs itself to fit. So far in Australia we have yet to see any lobby/industry organisation that didn't first look after it's self and then at best pander directly into the hands of those we needed protection from.

ECOfishers are fairly experienced in a wide variety of fields, both leisure and business. There is undertakings as we speak, to establish a system of Co_Management for our fishery. This system would encompass having non-political stakeholders ( the grass roots folk at the coal face ) putting their heads together and not only endorsing transparent research, but certainly providing the , or any current government departments with the basis for commonsense policy. As you may be well aware, the Governments of this day are prone to ' sub-contracting " out specific works, studies, EIS's, and more. It appears, from our perspective that this is what will happen on the fisheries front and we want to be there at the begining. We have already established ourselves in areas that " apparent " recreational anglers representatives have never been invited to. We have established credibility with a number of Government and non-government entities.

As for looking after ourselves....... to a man, this current committee works for you, ya kids and parents. We work for the fishery itself.

There is ample opportunity for members to not only take part in behind the scenes activities, but step up to the plate and get invloved on a Qld wide basis.

Most often and so far in history the wider angling community badly needs protection from our official angler representatives, for the very same reason they where allowed to hold a portion of the regulators ear in the first place.

I hear you. We are the first to admit that in the past, rec anglers have been seen to be like chooks with their heads cut off. A number of groups ' claimed " to represent us. There have been and still are many good people working behind the scenes and you will never know their names, they " JUST DO IT ". If you want accountability, join up, become a regional director and you will be party to all that happens.

We proclaim accountability and transparency from the Government, so we MUST lead by example.

cheers fnq

Any more questions must be accompanied by the traditional XXXX 6 pack. :P

Phill

Xahn1960
09-11-2009, 05:16 PM
I should have read this thread before I joined :) Not that it would have made any difference. If we out west can feel the effects of mismanagement and bad decision making then I can only imagine what its like for coastal dwellers.

If we do nothing then we get nothing, in my opinion;

Strong membership = Strong voice = People will listen

Where poliricians are concerned its all about the numbers..........

Just my 2c worth :)

Bill.

deepfried
09-11-2009, 06:55 PM

Have you looked at the Ecofishers NSW web site and seen their track record. Over the years they have gone well above what could be expected by the members in terms of success and now political exceptance as a voice for NSW rec fishos and all on a skinny budget. They are in touch with members via email constantly and members have a forum to air their views. I dont think the current arrangements re naming would have been done if they thought any less would occur in Qld.

FNQCairns
09-11-2009, 06:59 PM
Thanks phil, have sent the 6 pack by courier pigeon...not only everything to do with fishing is big up here:)

Another Q if I may please...from your understanding of the cut and thrust within ECO QLD and using the snapper stocks issue as an example only because it is contextual ATM not because I have opinion that it's currently a viable option......is this organisation capable of simply saying to fishery's/government "100% NO WAY IN HELL UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE"?? (the outcome that scares fishery/government most) even if that decision meant heightened short term pain for a relative minority of Anglers.

I ask this because history has proven virtually every time when dealing with government agencies, Angler representatives have always settled/done deals and in effect given in principle political support.....effectively chopping the legs out from under any future attempt to attack the NOW policy/law/regulation/implementation/science from any position of power or standing.

Eco got the gonads? sunfish hasn't in the past and more often than not individual angler representatives from various fishing backgrounds would have done the wider angling community better by not representing at all.

cheers fnq

FNQCairns
09-11-2009, 07:17 PM
Have you looked at the Ecofishers NSW web site and seen their track record. Over the years they have gone well above what could be expected by the members in terms of success and now political exceptance as a voice for NSW rec fishos and all on a skinny budget. They are in touch with members via email constantly and members have a forum to air their views. I dont think the current arrangements re naming would have been done if they thought any less would occur in Qld.

Yeah I have just this evening, I suspect they have it harder than we do because the totality of the government controlled acorf committee effectively acts as a firewall.

The CEO in what little I read seems to speak in a language appropriate so far on their lockout zones.

cheers fnq

castlemaine
09-11-2009, 08:55 PM
Eco got the gonads?

cheers fnq

I believe they've got two sets;D .

Lucky_Phill
09-11-2009, 10:06 PM
From the outset, let me say that every member of ECOfishers is entitled to their opinions and are welcome to express them at any time. There may be times when we do not 100% agree on certain issues or actions, BUT we always focus on our objectives. We are all crew in the same boat.

The beauty of this organization, is that we are prepared to listen and act on good advice, good science, good information and at the same time remain objective and skeptical.

My personal opinions on the Snapper Fishery in SEQ are well documented here on AF.

To do a small recap. I believe the fishery in certain regions is not sustainable and needs to have this addressed immediately.

I do not subscribe to the Bio-Mass modeling for outcomes in relation to historical fish stocks.

I believe the EPA have failed miserably in their duty and the DPI&F have done the best they could under floundering budgets and Ego-tripping departments infringing on their turf.

The RRFF ( snapper, trag and pearlies ) issues have been well underway for some time and a result is due any minute. Although we had limited input, this was addressed through AF and the three recreational members on the working group, who, by the way have done an exceptional job under extreme circumstances.

My belief is that the Snapper fishery should be managed by regions ( 3 ) and indeed, the Qld fishery be managed this way. This is a huge coastline and there are very different environments and habitats to consider.

I also believe that water quality and unsustainable commercial practices are the major contributors to the reduction in Snapper stocks in Moreton Bay and SEQ. Further south of Moreton Bay is another issue with a completely different perpetrator. This is well documented.

To answer your question……. As I understand it

.is this organisation capable of simply saying to fishery's/government "100% NO WAY IN HELL UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE"?? (the outcome that scares fishery/government most) even if that decision meant heightened short term pain for a relative minority of Anglers.

We have no way of not accepting what the result is…………now. What we do have is an opportunity to accept the responsibility of monitoring the results and providing real facts and data so that the next round of policy and or legislation reflects the truth and NOT guess work.

The pigeon just landed and you are 1 stubbie short……….. must have got thirsty on the way down…… ;D ;D :P

cheers

FNQCairns
09-11-2009, 10:43 PM
Phil thanks and cheers.

fnq

TheRealAndy
10-11-2009, 08:12 AM
What we really need at the moment is an editor/writer for a newsletter. If you can help in this regard please send me a PM.

PinHead
10-11-2009, 03:54 PM
I have pondered often about joining and to date, have not done so.
Reason..due to limited time constraints and lack of any skills that would be beneficial to an organisation such as this.
I believe a great many would not join because of these reasons.
I don't believe in joining any group unless you have the time to do something constructive in the group..better off just sending in a donation.

A couple of other questions:
1. Is there a constitution ?
2. Do all members get a vote in what direction/s is/are taken on individual issues or does the Executive make these decisions?
3. Is there sufficient communication between the Executive and members ?

I think the basic ideals of Eco could work well but I also believe that all members will need to "FEEL" (for want of a better word) part of the organisation.

Xahn1960
10-11-2009, 05:20 PM
Reason..due to limited time constraints and lack of any skills that would be beneficial to an organisation such as this.
I don't believe in joining any group unless you have the time to do something constructive in the group..better off just sending in a donation.

2. Do all members get a vote in what direction/s is/are taken on individual issues or does the Executive make these decisions?

I think the basic ideals of Eco could work well but I also believe that all members will need to "FEEL" (for want of a better word) part of the organisation.

I spent the last month thinking along similar lines. The decision to join rather than just donate was based on the belief that member numbers is an important issue when dealing with polititions, after all who is going to listen to a group with only a small member base?? Being out west, there's little else I can contribute, but at least I can be counted :D

Bill.

TheRealAndy
10-11-2009, 07:17 PM

The issue we have is that to be a credible group in the eyes of the government and media we need numbers. The membership price was set at a minimum to encourage membership. So dont think for a second that a donation is better than membership. ECOFishers can operate on minimum costs, but can't run on minimum membership. So by joining you are being constructive.

To answer your questions:
1. There is a constitution. Currently it is the model rules as stated in the incorporated association act. This will be changing, I will explain this below.
2. Currently all members get to vote, but you have to come to a meeting to vote. This is law. If sufficient interest is generated we could do phone conferences as well. Furthermore, Chris has suggested that next year we should move the general meetings around to different clubs/venues to encourage people to get involved.
3. Communication is currently an issue, and we are aware of that. I am working hard at finding a solution to that, but currently there is only 3 people running the ship. The AGM is coming up and details are on the website, everyone is welcome to attend. IF you think you can help please attend. IT would be nice to have several new exec roles.

The constitution is a bit of a sticking point at the moment. There is plans to build into the constitution methods to protect the organisation from damage from green groups and from people trying to change the direction of the organisation. This may well be done in by-rules however. I have been researching this a great deal, and I have been in consultation with a few people (former sunfish members, lawers, MQ, etc..) on how best to protect us and maintain direction without government intervention. Of course, before all of this goes ahead I will call a special meeting and all amendments will of course need to be voted in. I thought this was going to be an easy task, but turns out I was very wrong.

BTW, I am also happy to take input into this. Once I have everything together I will compile it into a document and distribute to all members.

Chris Ryan
11-11-2009, 10:15 AM
Phill, Andy and others, thank you for putting this up in my absence of late. To those that have sent in messages I sincerely apologise I have not been in touch with you earlier and hope that you understand the pressures we all have outside of ECOfishers.

I agree with Andy in communication (as per the above apology) is our biggest challenge. We have so much work going on behind the scenes with meetings with Fisheries, memberships with industry groups coming online, meetings with stakeholders against the PEW push etc all wrapped up in between life. Most of the work thus far has been away from the public eye but very influential the the future of the group and we have not communicated that well at all.

Every person on the committee of ECOfishers work full time either in the own businesses or for someone else and do all of this work for ECOfishers at lunchtime, on the train to work, weekends, nights and more. We however have got to the point where we need lots of help. We have a lot of plans and things we need to do but, like situations where I get taken offline, impact severly the abilities to meet deadlines. The help we require takes the form of:

Regional managers in all areas. These are people who can be the voice of ECOfishers in their region (Salt and Fresh) and help spread the word and manage local issues with assistance from HQ. We dont believe a dictorial tope down approach is right as every area has different management requirements of the fisheries.

Marketing: People who can write letters to the editors, write letters to Government departments. Write proposals or submissions from us to Government calls on topics. Promote the brand. Write the newsletters and send out

Membership: People who are confident in helping recruit members to our team both individuals, clubs and social fishing clubs

Administrative: Assist the secretary(s) of the association in doing some of the basic tasks which take us a long time to achieve.

Research: People who can read scientific documents and break them into salient points we humans can understand. People who can help in doing ramp surveys and people willing to participate in tagging programs

Philanthropy: People who can co-ordinate what we can do to help charity. Similar to what we did in gathering fishing gear for the Pine Rivers Fish stocking association days for disadvantaged kids. It takes a lot of time to collect, clean and repair some this gear which we just don't have but somehow find to help kids.

Funding: People experienced/willing to assist in researching grants and funding opportunities to promote our research programs and charity drives.

So there is a lot to do.....a hell of a lot to do and we will welcome any idle hands with open arms.

This year has been phenominal for us in our growth as a group not just by membership but more importantly recognition by Government and Industry we are fair dinkum and doors are opening that never unlocked before.

So once again apologies for my abscense and I look forward to seeing those of you that will attend the AGM.

lampuki
11-11-2009, 10:35 AM
Hi all.

I have been thinking about this thread whilst at work.

What is the current level of membership?

I know of about 10 to 20 people who would happily join if I asked them.

I like many ausfishers would know plenty of people....the only prohibitive part is getting the 10 dollars off them.

If numbers are so important, maybe allowing free membership until the numbers are up could be an idea?, and it would make it a lot easier for people like me who would register not only myself, but 10 or 20 other people with their consent.

Just a thought?

TheRealAndy
11-11-2009, 07:53 PM
Hi all.

I have been thinking about this thread whilst at work.

What is the current level of membership?

I know of about 10 to 20 people who would happily join if I asked them.

I like many ausfishers would know plenty of people....the only prohibitive part is getting the 10 dollars off them.

If numbers are so important, maybe allowing free membership until the numbers are up could be an idea?, and it would make it a lot easier for people like me who would register not only myself, but 10 or 20 other people with their consent.

Just a thought?

I thought $10 was cheap but I understand where you are coming from. The problem is that it actually does cost money to run an incorporated association, so we do need a little income (above what personal contributions we have been putting in to date). Hopefully once we get the ball rolling we can push for corporate sponsorship and reduce membership costs. I will bring this up at the next meeting, maybe we can do something now.

lampuki
11-11-2009, 09:36 PM
Hi Andy.

Ten dollars is dirt cheap.....its not the amount that is the issue, its the process of gathering the money on behalf of other people.

My thought process was that if i could get 20 names who would support the group, i am sure there is most probably another 200 ausfishers who could do the same.

Let me know when you are next having a ecofisher meeting as I would like to meet some of the guys who I have chated to on ausfish.

Lovey80
11-11-2009, 10:20 PM
Ah if only I could win the lotto and committ full time. Phill and Andy, you know why I can't committ enough of my time but when I do I'll let you know. I'll keep spreading the word at the club and see where that leads.

Until then keep up the good work!

Cheers

chris

LostNearBribie
11-11-2009, 10:28 PM
Joined yesterday. That's one more...

Black_Rat
12-11-2009, 09:25 PM
Having been involved with SOBA (Save Our Bays Association) and now ECOfishers QLD over the last few years & the decision to join / get involved has really opened my eyes as a recreational angler.

I too at first was sceptical about how I could make a difference but as it has evolved I can make a diffence and so can you !

The likes of Chris, Andy, Phil and others are putting in long hours to support and fight for a better deal for you, the recreational angler state wide. It is a thankless task but one we are prepared to do for you !

I encourage anyone who is thinking of joining to come along to the AGM on the 21st (details are on the website) and have a chat to any of us. ;D

Damo

Hornblower
14-11-2009, 01:18 PM
Great thread! The problem as I see it it that no matter how you try to influence this government they will just go and do what they please. To them, consultation means "We let you say your concerns as we blindly push ahead with our own agenda." The real problem is that the current govt has the numbers and that is all that concerns them. Take Traveston as an example, Anna Bligh didn't get her way, they are going to punish the whole SE corner with higher water prices through desalination - even though the experts have more cost effective alternatives which have been put to them - so even if they lose - they win.

Whats the answer? Tell everyone you know not to vote for them - but its a bit hard to put up an alternative with the current opposition.

I'll put my hand up Lucky Phil and offer you my services.

TheRealAndy
15-11-2009, 08:02 AM
Ah if only I could win the lotto and committ full time. Phill and Andy, you know why I can't committ enough of my time but when I do I'll let you know. I'll keep spreading the word at the club and see where that leads.

Until then keep up the good work!

Cheers

chris

Well hurry up and and win the lotto. You would make a good vice president!

gofishin
18-11-2009, 01:29 PM
I saw a flick with the missus last Friday night and caught a bit of a pre-movie add (with a talking Wrasse) about keeping the GBR clean & healthy & conserving the life it supports etc etc…i.e. making it all a marine park. What I saw of it was very good, and obviously aimed at a wide ranging audience, especially the younger ‘yet to be voters’. No reference to any causes, activities etc, nor to the backing organisation (that I could see/hear) incl PEW, but I’ll bet my balls that this was funded by the PEW organisation, and just the start of a wide ranging limitless funded campaign pushing their Coral Sea Proposal in a ‘back-door’ manner.

Has anyone else seen this add in its entirety? Are my assumptions incorrect?

To those who think this offshore organisation cannot spread its power and wealth over here to influence the general public and especially our government, you are seriously mistaken. They are very good at it. It’s hard enough stemming the flow of our own Greenies, let alone organisations as powerful as PEW.

More power to ECOFishers, and the boys here that are putting a lot of time and effort in. A lot of us don’t have the time/don’t want to spend the time, or whatever...and that’s fine, but $10 is only a couple of beers at the pub. What can it hurt? JOIN!
Cheers
Brendon

Chris Ryan
19-11-2009, 08:40 AM
Hi Brendon,

That is funded by PEW. They also printed up and handed out 100,000 postcard here in Brisbane recently. I also a lot of them in the bin too; but the point is the money they can throw at these programs is enormous.

We have already seen the Coral Sea gone, the next step is the East Coast bioregional zoning which is already underway. This, at its worst, see from the GBRMP down to the south coast of NSW closed off in some shape or form from 3nm out. The interesting question will be to see if the State Governments do 'sympathetic' closures along the shore to the 3nm mark as witnessed during the GBRMP implementations.

Cheers,
Chris

gofishin
19-11-2009, 09:06 PM
...We have already seen the Coral Sea gone, the next step is the East Coast bioregional zoning which is already underway...Thanks Chris. Wow, they don't hang around do they!
cheers

samsnap
22-11-2009, 06:47 PM
For more info on the East Coast Bioregional Plan see my post in "News".