PDA

View Full Version : mangrove jack gear?

justjack
01-11-2009, 10:06 PM
not being much of boat fisherman and not having much else to do with gear other then alveys and surf rods i was wanting to start getting into chasing some fish like jacks as ive never caught one intentionaly, does anyone have any sugestions on a rod and reel? seriously i wouldn't have a clue where to start ive never owned any reel other then an alvey, im on a bit of a budget so nothing to top of the range, also would you sugest braid or mono ive never used much braid and what weight? and where would the best place be to buy this rod and reel? thanks in advance guys ;D

Chamelion
01-11-2009, 10:44 PM
I caught a nice little 44cm the other day, which was my personal best and only second that I'd ever caught. My suggestions on gear would be limited, but I can tell you what I used and how I felt it handled the fish.

Gear used - Starlo Stix Squidgy Spin H 4-8kg 7', Pflueger Medalist 6040, 14lb rapala titanium braid, 20lb berkley Vanish leader.

The fish fought well enough, but the combo didn't even break a sweat and the fish didn't pull so much as one centimeter of line from my reel. I'd have preferred to have caught the fish on my 2-4kg 8lb outfit, which the next day wrangled in an 85cm giant herring just fine.
That said, if I was closer to the snags and needed to keep the fish from running, which would often be the case, then the gear I used would be considered optimal for the job at hand and the lighter gear perhaps too underpowered.

So. my suggestion, such that it is, would be a rod in the 3-7kg bracket, a reel of around the 3000 size and some 10-15lb braid. :)

If I had to recommend the gear specifically, keeping in mind my own personal budget, I'd choose a Starlo stix tournament max spin 4-7kg ($130~), pflueger supreme 9040XT ($120 from the USA) and some 15lb or so braid of your choice. I quite like the Rapala. :)

If I was a little further strapped for cash I'd go a Mojiko 4-7kg ($89), Pflueger President 6740XT ($80~ from the USA) and some fireline.

I hope that's of some help... to you or someone else. :)

Matt.

Lovey80
02-11-2009, 12:15 AM
Have a look at the new shimano baitrunner range. A gary wilson live fibre with 20lb braid. Good for snapper and great for jacks in the snags.

cheers

chris

Horse
02-11-2009, 07:28 AM
Do you want to chase them on lures or baits?

justjack
02-11-2009, 09:25 AM
i was thinking more bait eg live potties, see i dont no anything about brands or what all these numbers meen on rels hahaha thats how much i dont know on tis gear, and i just wanted an opinion on what is recomended best mono or braid im a mono boy but would love to use braid if it is a better option, what do people als use as a trace braid or mono? thanks

justjack
02-11-2009, 09:43 AM
is there anything for sale on here that would be sutable ive had a look through the rods and reels sectionbuioulnke to

nowornever
02-11-2009, 12:19 PM
What sort of lures do you use for jacks

childers
02-11-2009, 04:13 PM
Jack once you get one you should be away,

i'll send you a pm

ffejsmada
02-11-2009, 07:34 PM
is there anything for sale on here that would be sutable ive had a look through the rods and reels sectionbuioulnke to

Buy my Abu 5600 baitcaster. It's in the 4 sale section.;D

It'd do the job no worries.

drunkenduncan
02-11-2009, 07:58 PM

I bet it's had it's fair share of jacks caught on it as well!

Lovey80
02-11-2009, 08:58 PM
Well then live baiting I'll second my first post. Just bought my GF a live fibre and 3500 shimano baitrunner (not knowing the new baitrunners were about to be released). The rod is excellent but would definitely have prefered the new baitrunner as it's spooled with braid. The rod would do well for Jews and bottom bashing for Snapper too.

Chris

ronnien
02-11-2009, 09:50 PM

great little reel for throwing a lure & has a ratchet for live baiting, even better with a drag upgrade:).

i have 2 loaded with 20lb finns braid both sit on loomis gl2 & 3.

ron.

theoldlegend
03-11-2009, 06:18 AM
Well then live baiting I'll second my first post. Just bought my GF a live fibre and 3500 shimano baitrunner (not knowing the new baitrunners were about to be released). The rod is excellent but would definitely have prefered the new baitrunner as it's spooled with braid. The rod would do well for Jews and bottom bashing for Snapper too.

Chris

If I became your GF too, would you buy me the same gear?

TOL

Horse
03-11-2009, 07:27 AM
Baitcasters are a prettyu severe learning curve for one used to Alveys. You might be better off with a 7' spin outfit in either 4-7kg or up to 6-10kg with a 3000-4000 sized threadline. It will double as a Snapper stick and open up options for spinning up pelagics. Loaded with 15kg braid it will knock over Jacks in most circumstances. Real bad country and larger fish need a much heavier approach though

bam424
03-11-2009, 07:05 PM
Sunday night I caught a 45cm jack with a 1-3kg St. Croix rod with 2kg Finns braid,4kg rock leader with a no. 4 mustard hook and wait for it cured blood worm as bait. I had another rod out with 20kg braid and a good slab of mullet. Fish went 1.3kg. and it was a great fight. Thats fishing.

Chamelion
03-11-2009, 08:17 PM
Just caught a 48cm jack tonight on my pflueger patriarch with 15lb power pro braid, 20lb leader and a 6-10kg rod. The fish gave me plenty of curry, I'm not sure I'd have wanted to be fishing with too much lighter.

nipsta
03-11-2009, 09:10 PM
Me i landed a 53cm the other night on my little abu muscle tip and a 46 trion pfluger drum reel great little outfit and not to heavy even thought its a fiberglass rod but it worked a treat drag is smooth as and for value under 100 for the hole combo great way to learn how to use a baitcaster for the price. but i used baitcasters for years and i lov it as well as a experinced user of them . MIght add i lov my spinoufit as well and they are both pfluger gear as well bit more exspenive though .

Chamelion
03-11-2009, 11:07 PM
Another person who appreciates just how awesome pflueger gear is.. What's in your stable? :P (sorry about the thread hijack hehe)

the gecko
04-11-2009, 05:31 AM
I used cheapo gear for many years for jacks, before I upgraded to good gear. Any old spin combo for $80-100 like an Abu will do just fine. Its more about being in the right spot at the right time, and sticking the bait in front of jacks nose, than anything else. You will drop a few fish and land a few.

Braid is a nescessity so that you can feel the bites and set the hook early. Try 30lb braid with 40lb leader and a 3/0 hook. Any old rod will do if you are on a budget. Just put the hours in, and the fish will come.

cheers
Andrew

wayno60
04-11-2009, 05:07 PM
couldnt agree more......

also i hope you serched before you asked this question you dont want ffejsmada (http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/member.php?u=29924) on ya case.......

hooknose
04-11-2009, 07:52 PM
Hey Jack, if all else fails or you cant make up your mind, give one of them flash looking handlines of yours a burl mate, thats all the old fellas up north(Cooktown Jetty)would use for Jacks (and the trusty mullet fillet{and variations thereof} or dead Herring of course) !!;D

Many moons ago of course;)

no chicken tonight
07-11-2009, 08:31 AM
i definatly agree with other posts in getting an outfit that will double as as snapper floater or spin stick. if ur on the goldie best bet would be to talk to dean at tackle world southport. knows his shit and will give u good advise.

nipsta
07-11-2009, 03:31 PM
Another person who appreciates just how awesome pflueger gear is.. What's in your stable? :P (sorry about the thread hijack hehe)

all my pflueger reels are trions i have 2 lp and i have 2 drum baitcasters and also 2 trion spin reels 25 size and i have used all of them for barra as well as jacks and also whiting fishing they are jsut great value i would say though it would be nice for them to bring a spin reel out with that anti corosive paint on the reel handle ,. Oh i have 2 pflueger president rods as well one spin 6 - 10 and one baitcast for barra 8 - 15
what about yours

Chamelion
07-11-2009, 08:39 PM
Lovely :D

I've got Pflueger Medalist 40 size, Supreme XT 30 size, Trion WLP, Patriarch WLP.

The Medalist landed me a nice 52.5cm jack yesterday. It's the one reel I've used and terribly abused, but it keeps coming back for more time and again. It's not been serviced yet either, not even after it spent a week getting salt soaked in a kayak.

I'm eyeing off a Supreme AST rod before too long.

You're right about the value... Especially if you can grab them on special or from the states. My medalist cost me $50, illusion (which I've sold) $108, Trion WLP $50 s/h, Supreme XT $118, Patriarch $230.

My mates also got a medalist 40, president wlpl, trion wlpl, president 30, trion 30 and he's got a president and a trion rod... Incidentally, he's the one that convinced me to break my Daiwa streak and try a lesser thought of alternative.

Matt.

nipsta
07-11-2009, 09:58 PM
Lovely :D

I've got Pflueger Medalist 40 size, Supreme XT 30 size, Trion WLP, Patriarch WLP.

The Medalist landed me a nice 52.5cm jack yesterday. It's the one reel I've used and terribly abused, but it keeps coming back for more time and again. It's not been serviced yet either, not even after it spent a week getting salt soaked in a kayak.

I'm eyeing off a Supreme AST rod before too long.

You're right about the value... Especially if you can grab them on special or from the states. My medalist cost me $50, illusion (which I've sold) $108, Trion WLP $50 s/h, Supreme XT $118, Patriarch $230.

My mates also got a medalist 40, president wlpl, trion wlpl, president 30, trion 30 and he's got a president and a trion rod... Incidentally, he's the one that convinced me to break my Daiwa streak and try a lesser thought of alternative.

Matt.

yes i agree sometime t we all miss some of the best gear out there but once we find it we stick to it like glue
ANd my little 46 trion drum reel was the one i got the 53 last sat night on