PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha 115 2 Stroke Carb motor?

Tritto
01-11-2009, 09:28 PM
Guys can I get your opinions on carb 2 stroke Yamaha 115 Cetox. I am looking at getting a Yalta Craft Triple 5 and the package has the 2 stroke. I have read alot about DFI 2 strokes but not many comments on the older technology. I am fully aware of less fuel economy but am hoping to get your feedback on smell and sound. Is it bearable. Mostly looking at fishing on rivers (Tweed & Broadwater) but want to go outside also.

Obviously would prefer the Yamaha 4 Stroke 115 but trying to stay within a budget. Please help! :-/

trueblue
01-11-2009, 09:35 PM
"is it bearable"???

obviously was just fine for years, and years, and years until the 4 stroke motors were developed.............. then what, supposedly they are now a crap motor?

nothing wrong with a 2 stroke if that what your budget calls for and fuel won't be a problem

Malcolm W
01-11-2009, 10:15 PM
Hi Tritto, I have a 2003 115.
Pro's.... Reliable.
Detuned 130, so its understressed.
Fairly quiet compared other 115 2 strokes.
Dealer and parts readily available.
Easy to sevice.
Cheaper purchase price.
Recognised as a good motor.

Cons... Heavier on fuel.
Reduced range.
Smelly 2 stroke oil.
Lower resale.
Cold start not as quick as DI or four stroke.

Would love to have a modern tech motor, but went through the exercise and could not justify the cost( not now but may look again soon) The fuel cost is not an issue for me as I usually have 3 sharing the cost, but it would be nice to have more range and no smell. Cheers.

Noelm
02-11-2009, 07:29 AM
as long as the motor has been well cared for, it will still probably outlive the boat, sure it may be a bit noisier than a new motor, but as mentioned it was OK for about 50 years, so why not now? buy it with confidence.

ozscott
02-11-2009, 07:49 AM
Agree with the above. My 93 Yammy V4 115 is a gem. It leans to 200:1 at idle so when warm she is very smokeless compared to many old tech motors and the V4 is smooth and torquey. They are a VERY reliable motor. They just work. At full noise you have to talk loud at the helm, but compared to others of the same era its actually pretty good. And lets face it any outboard at full noise is still not exactly whisper quiet.

It starts very well hot or cold. It is a slim weight too.

Cheers

Noelm
02-11-2009, 09:30 AM
not entirely sure a 115 Yamaha is "slim weight" but it is still OK.

FNQCairns
02-11-2009, 10:05 AM
Agree with those above the smell is a small thing for the average bloke, the vibration if you troll slow lots and the added fuel used over time if you use the boat above what is typical recreational use are issues.

Other pros include the ability to offset high tech parts replacement compared to DI engines with the extra fuel used and pocket the decreased downtime-tow homes over its entire lifetime:)

Whatever you buy be sure to prop it very high in the rev range when running heavy, no excuses!....all of the important parts will see much less wear/tear and the engine will maintain a consistent buffer against any out of spec condition like poor fuel, oil and temperature problems.

cheers fnq

PS if you set the engine up well you will only ever use around 20% more fuel than the modern 4 or 2 st equivalent (performance for performance). For most over an entire day in say the bay can amount to just $20 or less minus the dead money you saved not purchasing the expensive engine to do the identical day on the bay.

thelump
02-11-2009, 01:18 PM
From what I understand they are a good motor. I have a 555 with a johnson 115 V4 (2003)and it is quite a good fit for the boat. Sure it is noisy and a bit smelly but nothing that keeps you thinking about it for too long. Range is not too bad as they have 150 litres under floor. If you think you will go further than 150km in a trip then just put a couple of jerries up the front. Plenty of room. If I were to buy one new (mine was second hand) I would definately try to get a direct injection 2 stroke but in saying that I am happy as Larry with mine the way it is. If your budget only allows for the carby job then I say go for it. They are a great package and you wont be disappointed.

Crocodile
02-11-2009, 02:03 PM
Hello Tritto,
have a look at these tests on the Yamaha Australia website;

http://www.yamaha-motor.com.au/pdf/marine/power_reports/Haines_Hunter_V17_Legend_115.pdf

http://www.yamaha-motor.com.au/pdf/marine/power_reports/Seafarer_Vega_5.75_F115.pdf
It seems that the two stroke uses a fair bit more fuel but has better performance.
What is the price difference between the two and four stroke?
How often do you intend to use the boat and how many hours do you think that you will run?
How will you be using the boats?
Trolling or general running around?
If you do not plan to do lots of hours or lots of trolling, save on the initial purchase price and enjoy the livelier performance.

Crocodile
02-11-2009, 02:04 PM
Hello Tritto,
have a look at these tests on the Yamaha Australia website;

http://www.yamaha-motor.com.au/pdf/marine/power_reports/Haines_Hunter_V17_Legend_115.pdf

http://www.yamaha-motor.com.au/pdf/marine/power_reports/Seafarer_Vega_5.75_F115.pdf
It seems that the two stroke uses a fair bit more fuel but has better performance.
What is the price difference between the two and four stroke?
How often do you intend to use the boat and how many hours do you think that you will run?
How will you be using the boats?
Trolling or general running around?
If you do not plan to do lots of hours or lots of trolling, save on the initial purchase price and enjoy the livelier performance.

Sabre
02-11-2009, 02:23 PM
Tritto,

I had this motor on my previous boat about two years ago, and was very happy with it. In the world of two strokes with carbs, these are right up ther with the best. As you say it's not a four stroke or DI, so don't try to compare them....Get the best that suits your budget...

Good Luck
Sabre

Tritto
02-11-2009, 03:00 PM
Guys, thanks for all the comments so far. From reading previous threads I was not expecting such good feedback.

Crocodile the price difference is $5,500 more for the Yammy 4 banger on the same package. I would mostly be bottom bashing but who knows I may eventually get into some trolling.
I guess I was also considering re-sale and the eventual phasing out of 2-strokes. Im a bit confused with that issue if they will be legal for the life of the motor or will they be outlawed in a few years.
So far I feel happy to go for the 2 stroke if I can't raise the extra 5k.

Keep em coming guys.

two up
02-11-2009, 05:55 PM
Tritto
2 Stroke non DI motors are being phased out, but it will not be illegal to continue to use it if you own it. For 5 and a half grand you will have to run up hundreds and hundreds of hours annually to gain a benefit from a DI motor. As you have stated if you use it for bottom bashing in the river and nearshore this is the perfect motor for you. If you were seriously into trolling and rack up the big hours then the 4strk may be the better option.

ozscott
02-11-2009, 07:14 PM
remember the old phase out the 'old bangers'/'old smokers'...well we didnt have that for more than a year in Qld, and they ran out of money or drive given how unpopular it would have been...lets face it they are never going to turn around and say from now on you cant use anything by DI and 4 stroke in the blue water...just aint going to happen.

Cheers

PS Selling them is a different story and I have no doubt that they will be banned sooner than later. Anyone who doesnt spend a lot of time trolling and does not do a lot of long trips would do well to consider a brand new V6 or V6 Yammy old tech before they are stopped...and reap the reliability and simplicity, and, of course, very very much lower purchase price.

ozscott
02-11-2009, 07:19 PM
Noel - you are right, but its still 20kg shy of the 4 stroke...not a noticeable difference for a 19-20 footer say but worthwhile perhaps for a 16...I was thinking though of last time I was considering (for a heartbeat) upgrading to a 150 Yam 4 stroke where the difference between mine and it was more like 50kg which is a big difference that far back (but one I would put up with - mine is the old rating at 270hp which if converted to prop hp might be about 225, but even so back in the 70's 270 was a bloody heavy motor).

Cheers

Tritto
05-11-2009, 10:52 PM
Thanks for all the comments guys. I went on a water test of the Yalta triple 5 today with the 2 stroke Yammy 115 and I was actually very impressed with the motor. Considering it was running double the oil ratio at the moment whilst in the first 20 hours of running in the motor there was no smoke and no smell. It wasn't that loud neither. I did however settle on the 4 banger 115 Yammy and have placed an order for that. What ended up making my decision was the restricted range, thanks to the poorer fuel economy. I would have been happy however to have had the 2 stroke but didn't want to have any regrets in 12 months wishing I could go further on a tank.
Thanks again for everyones advice and look forward to getting onto the water on the new beast.

whiteman
06-11-2009, 12:10 PM
Tritto. Great decision. I have the Yammie 2s 115 on my boat and am really happy with it .... BUT .... I am not expecting to get much for it if I ever have to trade it in. If I was buying a replacement right now I would only go another 2s if the cost was less than 50% of the 4s (which I'll bet it isn't). Trolling with the 2s is no problem and I carry extra fuel for reef trips in secured jerry cans - which I'd also do with a 4s. Your new 4s should be fantastic. Have fun.

Tritto
06-11-2009, 12:24 PM
Your right there whiteman. I think cost the 4s was $16k and the 2s was $11 so now where near 50% cheaper. Yes $5k buys alot of fuel but also you could expect to keep half that difference in better resale. Add on the fuel saving for a few years and it almost comes out even. Thanks for the comments.

trueblue
06-11-2009, 02:36 PM
I have the 130 HP model. I'd love to have a 4 stroke, but its just not sensible to get rid of a good running engine

if mine goes bung and needs extensive repairs, I'll think about repowering then.

Buying from new though is a different story, and it only comes down to budget - if the budget stretches there, obviously the best plan

cheers

whiteman
08-11-2009, 05:43 PM
The Yammie 115/130 2s is a very reliable, cheap to maintain motor. Once fuel goes north of $2/l we'll all be bitching about it but at that price even a 4s will be RS!

whatscracken
08-11-2009, 06:44 PM
Hey Tritto, I often go out with a mate who has a 115hp saltwater series. its a good engine allround and the smokey thing isn't a problem IMO. My old man has the 115hp yamaha 4 stroke and it is super quiet. It comes down to what you want or can afford as I think both engines will give you many years of trouble free use.