PDA

View Full Version : Looking at my First Boat!

breakthelines
31-10-2009, 09:29 PM
Looking for a 4.3m - 4.5m boat for the broadwater, creeks and estuaries.

Like the look of the 4.5 Polycraft Drifter.

Any other suggestions?

Budget is $25,000.

oldboot
31-10-2009, 09:44 PM
My sugestion is to buy a cheap but sound usedy.........so you can find out what you want, put a few dings in it..... first time you scrag a prop( and you will), you don't want to do that to a new motor...........then sell it and buy what you then know you want.

The thing I don't like about the polycraft is the cost......the boat is more expensive.....it is much heavier than a tinny so the motor will cost you lots more....and you have to put them on a special trailer.......and that costs more.......I looked at it and I could get into a basic alloy for half the price......a good brand alloy for about 2/3.

$25large should get you into the bottom end of the 5 meter boats new.........

$8 to 10 biggies....will get you into a new 4.2 alloy ready to go.

$5G should get you into a reasonably tidy usedy...and if you look after it you wont loose much when you upgrade.

$25large....would almost buy you a floating ginpalace...on the used market.

cheers

Bassmaster1
31-10-2009, 10:57 PM
Hi,

I actually have a 4.35m Quintrex Hornet Trophy sports console 50hp Honda fitted with Minn Kota bow mount, navman GPS, humminbird colour sounder, live bait tank etc. The boat is fully kitted out for estuary / river / dam fishing, very smooth ride, extremely stable boat, perfect first boat. I am looking for around $19,000 for this as is. The boat is located in St Lucia if you are interested in taking a look please call on 0439 674 331.

Cheers,

Bruce

brrbear
01-11-2009, 08:24 AM
m8 go cheap. look on ebay.
get the feel for it and what you want in a boat then upgrade or make adjustments to what u have.
my first was a 4.3 quinnie for 1k had it 10years sold for 4+k
my 5.5 glass cost 5k my 10m cost 28k my 4m tinnie hull only .4k
if need be by a hull with blown motor and install a new motor all much cheaper than your suggested outlay.
good luc

Hornet Rider
01-11-2009, 10:24 AM
Breakthelines,

Have a chat to Phil at Viper boats on the GC 5561 1455. I think you'll be encouraged by his options, price range and professional service. There's a number of Viper references on here. This is just one...

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...d.php?t=148640 (http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=148640)

cheers, HR

WalFish
01-11-2009, 10:29 AM
As everyone else has said, go cheap early with something you will be able to get what you paid for down the track when you sell. I have had abot 7 boats of all shapes and sizes, and have only now decided what I need/want. A boat always looks great with a FOR SALE sign on it, but shrinks in stature once on the water.

The things that put me off Polycraft are:

1) heavy hull = more horsepower required = more $$$
2) plastic hull = limited underfloor storage and ability to modify. Self tapping screws are not as solid as a weld, rivet or stainless bolt.

Just my opinion though....::)

Mrs Ronnie H
01-11-2009, 10:57 AM
Hi All
I would have to agree to maybe go secondhand or perhaps a tinny package for your first boat.

We have been looking for a small tinny just to take in the river here and you can get great package deals if you look around.

If I were considering secondhand, which we have discussed it would be boat on trailer and no motor unless we had a full service history or the motor was near new. This may be another option for you.

take your time in making the decision as down the track you will be saying-- I should of got this or that-- maybe a bait tank, maybe a casting platform and we all do the same thing as boat owners I am sure, so use your first boat as a benchmark for your next one.

Ronnie

breakthelines
01-11-2009, 05:08 PM
I should have explained my situation a bit more clearly.
For the past 18months - 2 years I have finished twice a week with my father-in-law in his 4m tinnie.

I fish SP & lures and am looking for a boat for myself that is an upgrade of a regular tinnie.

It is great fun fishing in that and have so for a long time now but am looking for a good quality boat that I can explade my horizon in.

Cheers....keep the suggestions and advice coming, Jay

GBC
01-11-2009, 06:26 PM
I reckon the 4.5 poly is a top boat. Does the inshore stuff easy, and will do inner offshore stuff as well.
They retain their value and go hard.
We regularly snuck out to Tempest, Curras, 1770, Fraser etc in our 4.5 centre console - very forgiving to drive in the big stuff if you get caught out too, which imho is rather important when 'sneaking' anywhere in a little boat.

If I was back in the 4.5m market it'd be the hull against which I'd be judging the others.

frankgrimes
01-11-2009, 06:59 PM
Mate I have a 4.5 CC Poly..upgraded from stacer 4.3...cannot compare the two...fantastic boat imo, as GBC states, eats the rough stuff, and are a soft riding, predictable and safe boat.

My regular patch is out to the 36's from goldie.

They do like the max hp though...so if going the 4.5 def. go the 60hp

Mick

frankgrimes
01-11-2009, 07:18 PM
btw - budget of $25k you'll pick up a brumby(4.8) in the poly range

sowden1942
02-11-2009, 12:55 PM
Hi Breakthelines. I have a 5 metre webster twinfisher with a honds 90 four stroke. Has all the bells and whistles for both freshwater/salt water and outside fishing. If interested give us a ring on 0412332675

MattChew
02-11-2009, 03:38 PM
Hey Mate, without going to the lengths of importing a nice flash glass boat the 4.5 Drifter would be my choice. You'll be able to deck one out with an Electric bow mount, your choice of 60hp, Higher End sounder for well under the 25k mark. I've been in a 4.8m Brumby and did not rate it that much .. the 4.5 Drifter CC will probably get my money .. I love my 4.1 too.

Matt

TJ Bear
02-11-2009, 04:06 PM
I have a totaly rebuilt and resprayed haines 445F for sale with a 70hp Yamaha 2-stroke. Fantastic little boat, same as bushy's formula 15.