PDA

View Full Version : Ski Boats and Barra. ? .

vinny78
31-10-2009, 08:31 PM
I'd probably lived in Townsville for only six months or so when I was driving home along the river one afternoon. My attention was drawn to a ski boat racing along the far bank- nothing unusual,- they are a constant sight on the river. I remember noting how close they passed to a couple of snags that I knew were there. You could see them when the water was low. I also thought of barra. At that instant a 90-100cm Barra erupted clear from the water of the boats wake which had passed just seconds before. I couldn't believe it!

I knew the weir was stocked, but it wasn't until this point that I decided to seriously begin fishing it. Without a boat back then though, my efforts were limited to a few places from the bank.

So, getting on with it; Thismorning my two year old daughter and I were on the water for a fish. I'd been working a section of the bank for close to an hour. Drifting along, anchoring up, "exhausting" that spot, drift some more, anchor up etc. Not a touch. Next I hear, then see a ski boat roar around the trees and come straight for me. What's this fool want? He informs me they're about to begin a ski coaching session right here. Terrific. He asks how I've fared and would you believe it, right on que a good size fish smashes the surface no more than 10m from our two boats. I say a 'good' sized fish, even though I didn't see it alot of water was moved by it and the boil lasted well after the event.

Sorry for the long winded narrative, but I was wondering if anyone else has seen anything similar to this and how can you explain it?

Cheers, Andrew

mr_yamba
31-10-2009, 09:28 PM
happens all the time in tinaroo. i caught a 122cm about 30m from the end of the slalom course one sunday at about 3pm after boat had been going all day and were still skiing as i was fishing. i was only at the spot about 5-10 min before i got the fish too. 3 weeks ago i motored inunder 2 stroke power to check my live bait trap which a bloke was fishing next to, i piss farted around for a while and left the motor going as i checked 2 traps in that area. i motored away an anchored about 50m from him. next thing he was onto a 110cm. was crazy. some people have told me that motor noise can get fish interested sometimes. i am not sure, but seems not to worry them at times.

darylive
31-10-2009, 09:50 PM
Maybe the ski boats scare the s#it out of the barra the same way they do us if we don't see 'em coming. Wakes the sleeping barra?

NAGG
03-11-2009, 09:29 AM
IMHO .... I feel that resident fish become accustomed to their surroundings.
I have a favourite location that is so close to a major thoroughfare you can cast & hit the boats as they go by ......... yet it is a consistent producer right through the day.
On the flip side ..... another location will see boils & wakes produced at the slightest bump or noise (Its well off the beaten track)
both share a similar depth & both have deep water nearby.

The big difference is that one is exposed to speeding boats & disturbed water while the other would only be subject to a motor at idle speed but usually just a ticking leccy .

Cheers

Chris

Bear001
03-11-2009, 09:58 AM
Hmmmm - interesting.

I find our yella's are not put off by the noise or wake at all. In fact if trolling I will often pull up the leccy and use the etec on purpose, I reckon they love the bubble wash?

Cod are a little more elusive/spooked.

But I think NAGG has it right - they are used to their environment.

Cindy