PDA

View Full Version : Broken Ribs.

shrunken pojie
31-10-2009, 12:27 PM
Hi guys,

I bought myself a tinny not so long ago. Great little boat. I went crabbing in it for the first time and dropped a small muddie down the hole in the floor where the transom support comes up from the keel. When I got home, I pulled the floor up to get the little blighter out. While I had the floor up I decided to clean out underneath it. Don't think that it had ever been done before. So under the floor I found numerous bait and hook packets, a larger knot of braid, 2 snapper sinkers and a 20 cent piece as well as 4 cracked ribs.

It is these ribs that have me a little concerned. I have attached pictures of the 2 worst cracks.

Can I get these fixed? Who would you recommend to fix them if they can be repaired? What can I do to stop this happening again.

I did buy this boat off a bloke on here but I don't believe that he knew about this issue or would have sold the boat to me without telling me about it if he did.

Thanks in advance,

Phill

Robbo76
31-10-2009, 12:57 PM
Hi Phill,

I'm sure it can be fixed. I had a c/c tin boat with a couple cracked ribs, got them welded up. I think it's caused from flex/rough treatment/rough weather bashing e.t.c.

I'm sure the more knowledgeable folk on here would know. As with the items found, I too found sinkers,swivels, a large rusty padlock, a piece of steel under the floor aswell as a thru hull transducer in a box with cable cut:o .

All the best,
Rob

oldboot
31-10-2009, 10:32 PM
It is certainly interesting what you find when you pull up a floor...under mine was a heap of sand.....um yes and a broken rib.......

I've had "George the amazing" look at it and some other "cracks"....he seems confident he can tig em up....no problem......but he is pretty damn good with a tig.

only bind is I have to pull the console..fuel tank and motor to do what needs to be done.....mm more work less fishing.

Oh BTW was there any flotation down there?

cheers

Hornet Rider
01-11-2009, 10:45 AM
Hi shruken,

I'd recommend Phil at Viper boats on the GC, 5561 1455. I broke a few things on my tinny & got him to add some rails, inside pockets etc. Top quality work, very professional manner, he's an artist with ally repairs. Lots of others around too, but I don't know them.

cheers, HR

TheRealAndy
01-11-2009, 09:49 PM
We had an old 5m tinnie at the yacht club that was used for a rescue boat for around 20 years, and when it was bought in the early 80's it was second hand. That thing had copped such a flogging in moreton bay and had been welded up so many times that it got to the point that the aluminium was unable to be welded anymore. The cracks in those pictures are not even remotely close to the aluminium fatigue we had on that boat, yet we still managed to weld it up. Take it to a good tig welder and they will have it sorted in half an hour!

shrunken pojie
02-11-2009, 01:53 PM
It is certainly interesting what you find when you pull up a floor...under mine was a heap of sand.....um yes and a broken rib.......

I've had "George the amazing" look at it and some other "cracks"....he seems confident he can tig em up....no problem......but he is pretty damn good with a tig.

only bind is I have to pull the console..fuel tank and motor to do what needs to be done.....mm more work less fishing.

Oh BTW was there any flotation down there?

cheers
G'day,

I didn't find any flotation under the floor. The floor itself screwed to the cross members but is just wedged under tabs on the outside so I don't think that putting any in would be that great of an idea anyway.

Who is "George the amazing"?

Thanks all for the replies.

Phill