PDA

View Full Version : Alloy Trailer wheels

Haji-Baba
30-10-2009, 08:14 PM
Just a reminder to all fellow fishers, it might be appropriate to check your trailer wheels if you have not done so for a while.

My trailer has small 12 inch alloy wheels and does not do many kms, probably
only 1 km. to the ramp at Bribie maybe twice a week when I am there.

Last week heard a small noise from the trailer on the way home and one wheel was loose.

I have had the wheels off recently, new bearings, and can only assume that I did not tighten them up enough.

I am usually very careful with wheels and in 60 years up till now have never had a problem before.

This is my first encounter with alloy wheels.

Whatever the cause one was loose but I suggest that alloy wheels can be a problem, there has been a lot of discussion about aloy wheels and caravan mishaps.

Anyway have a look at yours just in case.

Have Fun Haji-Baba

White Pointer
30-10-2009, 10:01 PM
G'day,

Your alloy wheels should have a compression washer between the wheel and the nut if they each have a flat face. If they have a champhered face it could be the problem. Let us know.

Regards,

White Pointer

Haji-Baba
30-10-2009, 10:33 PM
White Pointer.

Champhered face and I think you are right, any looseness only exaggerates the problem.

As I see it if any wear does takes place, the champhered nuts will only keep getting loose.

Thanks for the input.

Have Fun Haji-Baba

wrxhoon
31-10-2009, 08:04 AM
Alloy wheel nuts should be re-tensioned after a few ks on trailers as well as cars .
Was it a left wheel ?

Haji-Baba
31-10-2009, 08:16 AM
wrx hoon

Yes.

wrxhoon
31-10-2009, 01:11 PM
Thats the side that will work itself loose .

lethal098
31-10-2009, 04:18 PM
wrx, please xplain why the left one would come loose???? cheers lee

oldboot
31-10-2009, 09:06 PM
There are a few proposed theories why the left side will work loose.

1. that is the side that cops the rough edge of the road
2. that side cops mor because of the introduction of roundabouts
3. left hand side and right hand threads. is suposed to unwind the nuts.

More reasonably is that the wheels fitted to our trailers are cheap and crappy

The multifit steel wheels in my new trailer have stickers saying that they should be checked every 20 to 50 km......yeh like that is going to happen.....they will get replaced soon.

most of the trailer wheels have tapered seats.....unlike most quality alloy wheels that have cylinderical nuts and heavy flat washers.

another issue is that most modern cars the weight of the vehicle is supported on the hub centre...almost all trailer wheels are supported on the wheel studs alone.

And we grease our wheel studs....so we cant rely on corrosion to hold our wheels on.

yeh we need to be carefull and tighten out wheel nuts properly.....and probaly lean on them a bit more.....and check them from time to time.

be aware too that some of the alloy wheels are only good for a certain preasure (some 55PSI), which may not allow full load rating of the tyres.
Some of the cheap alloys can be porous and will not hold tubeless.

The more I look the ugglier it gets.

I recon abloke has to go for galvanised standard wheels.. or quality alloys.

cheers

Lbudgie
31-10-2009, 09:31 PM
i had my car wheels come loose once. had something to do with a c@*^ trying to knock them off

wrxhoon
31-10-2009, 09:46 PM
wrx, please xplain why the left one would come loose???? cheers lee

I can't other that to say I know they do, this is the reason some older vehicles ( vans trucks etc..) and some not so old had left threded studs on the left side .

Oldboot: I totaly disagree with this statement
"I recon abloke has to go for galvanised standard wheels.. or quality alloys."

Alloy wheels are far superior to steel, this is why even trucks use them now .
All my vehiles have them and so does my boat trailer .
Most alloys now use tapered seats with steel inserts, some still use shank nuts and others use bolts ( German cars).

I wouldn't use Chinese wheels on any of my cars/ trailers.

oldboot
31-10-2009, 10:02 PM
Um... read that statement again:-/

i'm not a lover of alloy wheels.........smack a steel wheel hard it will bend......smack an alloy wheel hard and it is likley to crack or shatter.

buying a second hand steel wheel......Um is it straight?
buying a second hand alloy wheel......Has this be xray crack tested?

the truth is that it is cheaper to make a good quality alloy wheel than a steel one.

there are only two advantages of alloy over steel.....weight and profit margin.

remember its only a boat trailer...its not like less unsprung weight will make it perform any better.

And what is more likley to get stolen at a boat ramp....a quality alloy.. or a gal steel wheel.

Oh have you ever tried to undo an overtightened wheel with one of those locknut thingys.

Don't get me started;D

cheers