PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki 90 Anyone, How do they Perform ???

tednted
30-10-2009, 11:07 AM
G'day People ,
Just wondering if anyone has any performance details on these new motors
as in , how do they go??
Hole shot ?? How do they compare to opti or etec
economy ??
Any probs ??
Cheers AL

Noelm
30-10-2009, 11:37 AM
I guess the short answer is 90HP is 90HP, how it is produced makes little difference (in a way) are we talking new 90 4 or 2 stroke?

tednted
30-10-2009, 02:22 PM
Talking about the new 90 4 stroke Noel

Noelm
30-10-2009, 02:28 PM
OH, OK, might be pushing to find a first hand account from an owner just yet, but you never know, someone might have one, I am sure they will be good.

Dantren
30-10-2009, 04:04 PM
Just sold a boat with a 2007 90 suzuki.
Apparently was a de-tuned 115?
Or was the 70 a de-tuned 90???

I was very happy with it.
Very quiet & fuel efficient.
Suppose prices have gone up a lot.
I think I paid around 13 K fitted

Worth every cent IMO.

Lantana
30-10-2009, 04:38 PM
Have a Seafarer with the 2007 model. I understand the brand new one is a lighter version.
Only very small hours on ours but cannot fault it. Very quiet and without testing seems vg on fuel. In the river I let it idle and move the boat around as needed. Beats the need for an electric.
Servicing may not be too cheap though.
It is heavy though, but maybe it is a tough engine. Yet to find out, but on performance to date, I would definitely buy another.

White Pointer
30-10-2009, 10:16 PM
G'day,

I suggest you contact F&B magazine and ask them if they have tested it. If they have, they will sell you the test report. It's pretty cheap for peace of mind.

Now, my recollection is that the old 90, 115 and 140 were based around the same engine and it was around 2.0 to 2.2 litre. The new 90 is the top of a range of engines from 60 upwards and based on a 1.5 litre engine. To bridge the gap the old 90 is now a 100, so the range is huge.

The new 1.5 lt engines are much lighter and that makes it fit a wider range of boats. But it may not suit your boat. Light is good but not if it wants to drive the bow under the water in a sea.

Suggest that with the huge improvements in 4-stokes you start with weight ranges and aim to maximise HP within your budget. Does this make sense?

Regards,

White Pointer

boatboy50
31-10-2009, 08:29 AM
Hey,

Kitty Cat has a set on his 5.2 Kevlacat. Search his posts and you'll find plenty of info.

I've seen many go out the door, and not one come back in yet. They have only been out for about a year.

gtphantom
31-10-2009, 12:54 PM
gday all got a C/R pair of 08 model 115's can only say -- the best part of the boat absolute silk, the pre and after sales service from the dealer all boat buisness in perth second to none 5 year warranty also a big plus!!from what I can gather the same engine family as the 90 -- probably would have gone for the 90's if they were available in C/R cheers

Mindi
31-10-2009, 03:51 PM
Try two Ausfish members RonnieH ...has had one for about 12 months since released ...also Sporty1 more recently..both on 5.2 CCs.

andkat
31-10-2009, 05:07 PM
Hi
I have an 07 90 on my 5.5, it is quiet and the fuel economy is astounding.
I am running a standard 19' Prop, the holeshot is fine, I have no problems.
The service and after market service has been great.
regards
Crawf

jason p
31-10-2009, 10:22 PM
looks like no one has been able to fault the suzi on this thread yet wich is always a big thumbs up for bying one.
i have an 07 90 suzi on my 5.5 glass boat and have never had a problem, hole shot is fine feul is excellent and from what i have heard the new 90 is even better on feul. servicing is once a year compared to 3 years on the etec so a bit more costly there but trully a very good motor, super quite when idleing some times i forget that the motors even switched on lol. i would by one again or maybe a honda ive herd great reports on these as well.
good luck.

jp

Mrs Ronnie H
31-10-2009, 10:32 PM
Hi Al

We had the new 90hp fitted to our 5.2 Formosa last year. (First one fitted in qld)What can i say-- extremely happy with both boat and motor.

We have had no problems to date and runs like a dream. Fuel consumption seems minimal and although I haven't done the sums exactly can tell you it doesn't cost a fortune for a great day out on the water.
Servicing is not all that expensive as some might tell you and if you find the right place-- like Burpengary you can't go wrong. The part about the service I find fascinating is the computer printout which you are given. lists everything and anything.

Would have to be the quitest motor i have ever heard running and isn't hard to forget it is running.
Powers our boat along extremely well with plenty in reserve.

Would highly recommend them and if we are ever in the market for another boat i would not have anything other than a suzi.

Ronnie