PDA

View Full Version : Lost Keys

upstart
29-10-2009, 01:24 PM
Hi All,
A mate has lost the keys to his boat. It has a 115hp Merc 2 stroke about 2003 vintage I think. What can he do?

dreemon
29-10-2009, 02:01 PM
A mate of mine just lost his key too, since that, I have been trying to get anouther cut for a spare for myself and have been told I have to go to a locksmith to get my key cut, he'd prob be best off getting a mobile guy in I think

Spaniard_King
29-10-2009, 02:14 PM
Contact your local outboard wrecker.. they normally have a good supply

Scott nthQld
29-10-2009, 02:54 PM
Contact your local outboard wrecker.. they normally have a good supply

I don't understand. So all ingintions are keyed the same for the same brand? ie any 'yamaha' key can start any yamaha outboard?

Doesn't really appeal to a security side of things if this is the case then does it?, no point at all at removing the keys from the boat if someone can walk into a wreckers and get one.

Spaniard_King
29-10-2009, 03:05 PM
Scott,

manufacturers have generally a range of numbered keys (there should be a number on the key or the ignition switch)

Honda used to have 1 key fits all but have now gone to a range of about 15 different keys.. hence a dealer can order you a replacement.

OMC has a 2 digit code on the key ie 55

Any half decent mecahnic wouldn't need a key anyway;)

TheRealAndy
29-10-2009, 03:45 PM
We had a key rust into the switch on rescue boat at the yacht club. IT was a merc. Bought a new switch from Northside and it came with a key.

upstart
29-10-2009, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the replies. Gives a starting point.

wrxhoon
29-10-2009, 08:24 PM
Just take the ignition switch out , take it to a locksmith and he will cut a key to suit . If your switch is old and rusty buy another and it will have 2 keys.

These are not very secure, they are like old cars very easy to hotwire .