PDA

View Full Version : Warning Northside - Boat Thief At Work!!

samsnap
28-10-2009, 10:22 AM
Hi all - just a thread to beware on the northside of 2 men in a tray back ute. We live at Albany Creek (brisbane Northside) and in the small hours of Saturday morning I interupted the attempted theft of out 6.4m boat. I was up sewing Ballet Headpieces for my Daughter when I head loud banging from our front yard & could hear a vehicle reversing up our driveway. I must have spooked them when I was yelling to Mr Sammy to wake up & get down stairs & then turning on the security lighting to the front drive. Fortunately they then took off! We have one of those Tow Ball security lock/cover thingy's (that is what they were hitting at). Just as well they left as when I finally did get out the front door >:( - I noticed I had the Hot Glue gun in one hand & pretty teal green feathers in the other, with a good length of green sequins training behind!!::) (Don't ever cross a Ballet Mum)
Anyway Northside residents please be aware they are on the loose & check the security of your boat.
Sammy xx
PS Mr Sammy slept soundly on!

TimiBoy
28-10-2009, 12:14 PM
when I finally did get out the front door >:( - I noticed I had the Hot Glue gun in one hand & pretty teal green feathers in the other, with a good length of green sequins training behind!!

Tarred and feathered by Sam!

Watch out!!!;D;D;D

Cheers,

Tim

wags on the water
28-10-2009, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the heads up Sam. I hope these blokes get caught soon.

Ricardo
28-10-2009, 12:35 PM
Thanks for that Sammy, I live in Albany Creek as well so will keep an eye & ear out.

b j p
28-10-2009, 12:46 PM
Good heads up! I had my boat stolen from the front of my place at Taigum a few years ago. Woke up at 3am in the morning to hear the squeak of my boat trailer. (Props to Dunbier trailers for making a trailer poor enough to act as a security device.) Jumped out of bed to see 2 blokes dragging my trailer towards the back of a cream falcon (XD) station wagon. Yelled out and ran for the front door. Got to the front door and saw them driving off down the street with the boat. I ran back and grabbed car keys and headed for the car. Grabbed the keys to the car that was parked in :( Ran back inside again and back out and gave chase. Couldn't find them, went straight to the Boondall Police Station where I was told there was nothing they could do. Was the last I saw of it. It was a Quintrex Coast Raider Centre console with a 60hp Mercury + all my fishing gear etc that was in the boat.

joe 09
28-10-2009, 02:25 PM
try this

http://www.ausfish.com.au/directories/listing.php?id=77

Luc
28-10-2009, 02:27 PM
You were really lucky.

I feel for those who have to store their boat on driveways, front yard or road.

I hope you're able to beef up security for your boat.

Any details on the ute?

Luc

Kero
28-10-2009, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the warning Sammy!
I live very close to Albany Creek, so that is worrying to hear.
Mind you, they wouldn't want to try that sort of thing here, we run an electronics & security company from home, so they're bound to set something off;) .
Glad you held onto the pride & joy though!

Steeler
28-10-2009, 07:15 PM
try this

http://www.ausfish.com.au/directories/listing.php?id=77

Pretty sure i have seen similar in some O.P.E stores where people use them on there expensive ride on's.

Cheers

Steve

samsnap
28-10-2009, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the link to the Alarm - will look more into it. Now have large chains around all wheels & Hitch lock - looking at sensor lighting. Unfortunately it has to sit on the drive (I kinda miscalculated when buying it & it dosen't quite fit under the special pad/shade sail built for the old boat - We like to call that one a "girly measurement boo boo") As for the ute description I really don't have much to go on as the boat blocks the view from the front door - I could tell by the sound of it reversing & the noise from the tray rattling - that it was a tray back (we had one before the new rig) They took off so quick that they banged the tray on the drive (the gutter is not cut) they left their towbar plug socket mount behind which makes me feel it is a 2wd with low clearance. Sorry but that's about all I can tell you. Thinking about it now - it was pretty stupid for a woman to open the door at all & prepared to have a go at the b@$t@rd$ (feathers and all!!). Anyway thanks for your advise & good wishes - hope they move on. (New Zealand sounds good this time of year!) Sammy

Bill D
01-11-2009, 06:51 PM
A friend of mine had a boat stolen from his front yard and searched the area and shops for the nearest security cameras and gave the companys and the business the day and close time to the boat was stolen and four days later the had the rego number of the ute and the blokes that stole the boat. Also put out fliers with photos of the boat at all service stations as all have security cameras

Hornet Rider
13-12-2009, 08:17 AM
Hi all - just a thread to beware on the northside of 2 men in a tray back ute. We live at Albany Creek (brisbane Northside) and in the small hours of Saturday morning I interupted the attempted theft of out 6.4m boat. I was up sewing Ballet Headpieces for my Daughter when I head loud banging from our front yard & could hear a vehicle reversing up our driveway. I must have spooked them when I was yelling to Mr Sammy to wake up & get down stairs & then turning on the security lighting to the front drive. Fortunately they then took off! We have one of those Tow Ball security lock/cover thingy's (that is what they were hitting at). Just as well they left as when I finally did get out the front door >:( - I noticed I had the Hot Glue gun in one hand & pretty teal green feathers in the other, with a good length of green sequins training behind!!::) (Don't ever cross a Ballet Mum)
Anyway Northside residents please be aware they are on the loose & check the security of your boat.
Sammy xx
PS Mr Sammy slept soundly on!

Hi Sammy,

Glad to hear you foiled the thieves. What type of tow ball security device were you using? I've used several but now have a Hitch Helmet made by Oceanic Trailers on the GC - an excellent device & augment it with a number of other measures that don't need mentioning here. See the link ... http://www.oceanictrailers.com.au/hitchhelmet.php

cheers, HR

levinge
14-12-2009, 08:02 AM
Hi Sammy,

Glad to hear you foiled the thieves. What type of tow ball security device were you using? I've used several but now have a Hitch Helmet made by Oceanic Trailers on the GC - an excellent device & augment it with a number of other measures that don't need mentioning here. See the link ... http://www.oceanictrailers.com.au/hitchhelmet.php

cheers, HR

HR make sure that the bolts holding your hitch have spot welds on them or the whole Hitch Helmet will be useless, they'll just unbolt the hitch and put their own one on for towing...

But they do look like a good alternative to some other out there.

I use the Trailer Cop, simple and extremely hard to get out...

trueblue
14-12-2009, 09:50 AM
A long wire rope with crimped eyes on the end is great to padlock a trailer to a fence etc

By wire rope, I mean a minimum diameter of 10mm galvanised wire rope, same as is used on winches etc. Crimped eyes have to be put on same as on a lifting sling, by a wire rope manufacturer such as Bullivants.

Get it about 30 feet long. This way it can be passed through 2 or more fence posts, and then through the trailer frame and be padlocked together. Use a heavy duty padlock with a 10mm hardened steel shank (would need an oxy torch to get it off).

The wire rope is very hard to cut at this diameter size. A bolt cutter will just squash it and won't actually cut through.

cheers

Mick

Hornet Rider
15-12-2009, 06:53 AM
HR make sure that the bolts holding your hitch have spot welds on them or the whole Hitch Helmet will be useless, they'll just unbolt the hitch and put their own one on for towing...

But they do look like a good alternative to some other out there.

I use the Trailer Cop, simple and extremely hard to get out...

levinge,

yes mate, welded at both ends of the hinge with gap fillers between to prevent hacksaw access

cheers, HR

levinge
15-12-2009, 07:57 AM
levinge,

yes mate, welded at both ends of the hinge with gap fillers between to prevent hacksaw access

cheers, HR

Excellent work...

The harder we make it for them, the longer it takes, the less likely that they will even attempt it. The low lifes are just after a quick connect and bugger off with the boat.

One good thing, the more people who read threads like this and take on the advice, the less we will see in the "lost and stolen" link

cormorant
15-12-2009, 11:18 AM
With the advent of decent battery operated tools these days and ultra thin cutting discs a lot of us need to rethink our security . New tools are quiet and quick and even cheapo bolt cutters will do most chain unless it is hardened. Reasonable quality tools have come down significantly and even cobaltt drills etc are so much more affordale

Sometimes bulk and a muck metal, or cast surrounding a hardened core may be bulky on a trailer hitch but will take them extra time.

Gotta think like a thief and recent ones I have hear of they bypass the security devices with ratchet spanners to remove wheel nuts and wheel lock, straps to tow without removing trailer hitch ( they don't care about tow cars bumper as it is also stolen)

Opportunity for better design or update to hitch locks to stop acces to small angle grinder blades or dremens with carbide burrs .

Won't be long before there is small battery welder you will blow through most metal security aids in seconds so maybe composites will be required

ShaneC
16-12-2009, 02:29 AM
You are very right mate. Its hard, I have just started storing my trailer in the front yard. I have a 10mm SWR attaching the trailer to my house, a trailer lock, a chain running through the wheels on my trailer, and a loving 45kg German Shepherd that is able to keep an eye on it all. It sucks that you have to go that far....

Good on you for chasing them off!!!!!

Feral
16-12-2009, 03:04 AM
Be aware they may be back.
I'd suggest putting it on blocks and removing the wheels for a little while.