PDA

View Full Version : Wash & wax recommendations?

Crunchy
27-10-2009, 02:48 PM
Any recommendations for a great wash & wax? (Glass). Gelcoat is in good condition so no need for any restoration work, but I'm pretty sure the Palmolive I have been using isn't the best in the long term...

also tips for removing oil stains? (From oiling the t/tube)

Cheers
Crunchy

Roughasguts
27-10-2009, 04:31 PM
Use silicone spray on the tilt tube.

WD 40 will remove the oil stain.

And Mr Sheen will give a good wax over if you need a quick shine.

ozassassin
27-10-2009, 05:36 PM
Hi Crunchy,
i use CT 20 wash n wax after a long day out on the bay or out side, then I Mr Shine the wind screen, seats and all over the inside area as well as the outboard, then every 4 months i give her a good going over of Meguiars Cleaner Wax.

After 4 years my Signature still looks as good as the day it come off the Assembly line, Even Gordy from Haines Signature has commented on how will she has been kept, after Gordy being over to my place to take her back to Signature at Wacol to add extras i have requested.

Eric

Jabba_
27-10-2009, 05:46 PM
But Mr sheen will suck the oils out off your Gelcoat, and after consant use it will leave you Gelcoat looking dry and abused...

Blackened is our resident boat detailer,, if he does not drop in and offer his advise, send him a PM....

And here is a link to his thread, "Detailing - How to"......
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=104589

ozassassin
27-10-2009, 05:59 PM
Mr Sheen is a wax based product,I only ever use it on the inside of my boat never the outside only for the outboard, and after 4 years of use I have not seen any evidence of sucking the life out of the gelcoat, could be wrong but I'm sure i would of seen something by now, is there some way to to tell for sure, cause if this is the case i will be stopping the use of it now.

Eric

Roughasguts
27-10-2009, 09:21 PM
Suck the oils out of Gel coat????? is there any oils that can be extracted from Gel coat???

Think it be a pretty bad polish for old timber furniture if it sucked the oils out of the wood or does the varnish protect the wood from that.

Mind you it has been used as a de-greaser before so it might be bad for vinyl or leather seats as it may dry it out and make it crack so theres a point.

But then again it's also been used to make the coat on horses shine so then it would be bad for drying out the horses hyde! so I don't know.

Personally I use Armour all on the vinyl seats.

Cheers

sleepygreg
27-10-2009, 11:21 PM
Are you giving away some of the 'equestriennes' show secrets Roughasguts???? lol......why not tell em about the armourall on the hooves:-X ....sorry...just stirrin;)

Roughasguts
28-10-2009, 01:49 AM
Are you giving away some of the 'equestriennes' show secrets Roughasguts???? lol......why not tell em about the armourall on the hooves:-X ....sorry...just stirrin;)

Oooops..... Nah I'm old school, for the hooves on cray bait, we used tyre black!

Cheers

Mad-One
28-10-2009, 04:31 AM
Palmolive is to harsh and strips the polish off your boat use Meguiars wash and wax or some other form of carwash that won't strip your polish of. I use a product called 303 on vinyl as armourall is to oily for my liking

Cheers Mad

Jabba_
28-10-2009, 05:41 AM
Suck the oils out of Gel coat????? is there any oils that can be extracted from Gel coat???

Think it be a pretty bad polish for old timber furniture if it sucked the oils out of the wood or does the varnish protect the wood from that.

Mind you it has been used as a degreaser before so it might be bad for vinyl or leather seats as it may dry it out and make it crack so theres a point.

But then again it's also been used to make the coat on horses shine so then it would be bad for drying out the horses hyde! so I don't know.

Personally I use Armour all on the vinyl seats.

Cheers
Saying sucking the oils out off the gel coat is probably not the most accurate way of describing the long term damage Mr sheen causes to gel-coat.. But from what I understand, constant use of Mr Sheen on gel coat is not good... The damage is not noticeable while your using the product, but become noticeable once you stop using it.. The gel coat starts to look dry and dull...

Crunchy
28-10-2009, 08:18 AM
Cheers all, will get me some meguiares then....will stay clear of Mr Sheen just in case........no need for armourall as no squabs, padding etc, it's a fishing boat;)

I subscribed to Blackened excellent thread on detailing a while ago but he recommends Amway wash & wax and while I have no doubt that it is a good product.....

Noelm
28-10-2009, 08:25 AM
mr sheen is not a good "wax" for anything, it is mainly a solvent based product for cleaning and making shiny, NOT waxing, it is also not so flash for long term use on natural timber, but plenty do it (including me), works a treat on non porous materials like plastic and laminex (and cars) and stuff, but not a long term protectant.

oldboot
28-10-2009, 09:43 AM
Mr Sheen......the evil little man.
Contains large amounts of silicon.......if you ever expect to repaint, refinish or expect anything to stick reliably to your boat........keep it away..........painters of all types curse the stuff.

It was never intended for outdoor use.....it was orginaly intended for use on laminates and interiour plastics.......yeh it gives a fast result......but is very hard to get off the surface, particularly with repeated application.

You would be far better of with one of the quality automotive polishes...

cheers

ozassassin
28-10-2009, 11:25 AM
Mad-One,
Went down to bcf and got me some of that 303 aerospace protectant, mate good stuff as soon as i put it on up come the colour and shine will be using this stuff from now on and give up on the armorall.

Mad-One
29-10-2009, 05:06 AM
Mad-One,
Went down to bcf and got me some of that 303 aerospace protectant, mate good stuff as soon as i put it on up come the colour and shine will be using this stuff from now on and give up on the armorall.
Works great on ute tarps aswell:) :)